Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Writing an article about the Magnifying lens, can you help me out?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
What a surprise!!!
Not only turns inside the frame.
Did anyone else removed the glass before???

(Image removed from quote.)

evil glass-removing ant!   :twak:

I got a mantis!

Mantis > ant    :pok:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:08:21 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
...How do you distinguish between them?
How do you know their mag power (5x/6x)?...

This is a very good question indeed. Unfortunately I don't have any new magnifiers to make photo's.
It would be very helpful to be able to tell the difference from photo's but that's near impossible.
There are no clearly distinguisable features to the Gen2 or Gen 3.
However...

If I may be so bold to link to this image:

The plastic on the Gen2 curves around towards the hinge. As opposed to the Gen3, which curves to a straight piece towards the hinge.
Also, the Gen3 appears to have a notch on the back when closed. Comparable to the notch that is visible on the newer 90' locking bottleopeners.

So, when you have them in hand it's much easier.
- The lens of the Gen3 is colder to the touch opposed to the Gen2.
- The lens of the Gen3 may rotate.

Distinguising the difference in power is very hard. Even if you work with lenses. The Gen2 has a power of 20dpt and the Gen3 a power of 24dpt.
If you have a lensmeter at hand it's far more easy. But who carries one of those around  ;)
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Champion C 75-78
Passenger 74-78
Passenger (Alpineer)81-85?
Explore pre 85
Yeoman 9?-0?
BSAyeoman 9?-0?
Explorer 92-04?
Pikachu - same as Explorer

after measuring the glass. The only real difference i see with these is the ring in the plastic around the glass. One is flat, one has a ring and bevel. But I'm sure you knew that already  :facepalm:
WP_20171028_16_17_41_Pro (6).jpg
* WP_20171028_16_17_41_Pro (6).jpg (Filesize: 264.5 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ua Offline Frater_Martin

after measuring the glass. The only real difference i see with these is the ring in the plastic around the glass. One is flat, one has a ring and bevel.
For distinguising between Gen1a and Gen1b, right, that bevel is a single characteristic. On Gen1a the bevel is on one side and on Gen2b the bevel is on both sides of the lense. And if we look at Gen1a attentivelly we can see a fairy ring on plastic arround a lense on the same side as the bevel.
-Sorry my bed Inglish :) -

ua Offline Frater_Martin

What a surprise!!!
Not only turns inside the frame.
Did anyone else removed the glass before???
Finally I have found the link. Here it is "New Phillips / Mag glass layer found (With REAL glass Mag!)" https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=45331.0

How do you distinguish between them?
How do you know their mag power (5x/6x)?
Here http://redsgoodvsevilcowbarn.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-newest-victorinox-magnifier.html it is visible: a modern glass made variant is a little more poverfull than plastic one.

Moreover the autor have found some differences in plastic surround:
Regardless, these magnifiers are obviously not the same difference.  But what are the different differences?  OK.  The differences we are fixing to discuss shall proceed from most to least obvious.  Also, the differences we are fixing to discuss are just those differences apparent with the magnifiers actually fixed in the knives.  So an average collector, aware of these differences can tell the type magnifiers apart at a glance.  The most obvious difference is the shape of the magnifier frame.  See how concave the top of the frame is on the 2nd generation.  Not so noticeable on the actual magnifiers as on the diagram.  Next, check out how the twain magnifiers enlarge the rule.  Obviously, the 3rd generation is the more powerful.  Finally, on Crumby's samples, the frame plastic is granulated on the 2nd generation, while it is smooth on the third generation.  Unfortunately, the granulation does not show up in the picture in this venue, even enlarged.  However, it is obvious in real life.  Crumby would be interested to learn if  the granulation difference repeats.
IMG_8141.jpg
* IMG_8141.jpg (Filesize: 103.44 KB)
P2054150.JPG
* P2054150.JPG (Filesize: 202.45 KB)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 09:59:07 AM by Frater_Martin »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
I am pretty sure Syph007 was the first to spot the new glass lens - Came as a surprise to him and many of us - as no one knew about it
Probably in his "Adventures into alox thread'

This is what he does to make his brass mag glass tool - ie removes the glass lens from the regular tool, then inserts into his custom brass holder  :tu:

ua Offline Frater_Martin

Re: Writing an article about the Magnifying lens, can you help me out?
Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 04:35:35 PM
So, tell us - were you successfull in the article? Could you share it?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #37 on: December 02, 2017, 11:51:55 PM
I am pretty sure Syph007 was the first to spot the new glass lens - Came as a surprise to him and many of us - as no one knew about it
Probably in his "Adventures into alox thread'

This is what he does to make his brass mag glass tool - ie removes the glass lens from the regular tool, then inserts into his custom brass holder  :tu:

Ya I remember I thought I broke it, then I realized it was 2 pieces and was glass again.  Im sure the all plastic ones would become useless with the scratches.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45331.msg742313.html#msg742313

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #38 on: December 10, 2017, 11:29:05 PM
So, tell us - were you successfull in the article? Could you share it?

Not yet sorry. It needs some final touches.
And I have to keep my visit short ans sweet right now.
I'm stuck in bad weather, with little charge left in my phone and I can't make it home tonight. :o

I'll see if I can finish it in the coming days.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #39 on: December 11, 2017, 04:46:09 PM
 :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%