Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me choose my first SOG

mr626 · 14 · 1084

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Help me choose my first SOG
on: October 27, 2017, 04:53:46 AM
Hello all,

Has been a while since I posted on here!

I have come to the realisation thaat of all the major MT brands, SOG is the only one I have yet to try. So to that end, please help me choose which model to buy!

Criteria:

-Would like a similar toolset to something like a ST300. Priority are good pliers, and a good selection of screwdrivers. Especially important is a good #2 philips (with as long a shaft as possible).
-Size: ST300 ish or smaller
-Carry options: really want something that has a pocket clip
-Finish: I'll do stainless steel or BO, would prefer the stainless though
-New or used? Don't really mind if there's a good condition used one.

As per my profile I'm in Australia, so purchasing options are somewhat limited (eg Amazon won't ship multi-tools to me). So I guess main options are going to be fleabay or direct from a member on here.

Thanks  :cheers:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Help me choose my first SOG
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:40:30 AM
Power access maybe? The pocket clip is something only a few of their newer tools have.
Powerlock and power assist are nice options if you want something like a st300. There are tons of toolsets from each sog model. And you can order parts to customize many of their MTs.

I do not recommend a PowerPlay, as mine are a big disappointment. Both of them.

The older USA made SOGs are a bit more robust, but can be hard to find. The USA PowerLock is very nice. But, don't expect the same level of precision that LM offers. SOG tool lockup isn't great and tools do clump on the older tools. The newer SOG MTs with "piano locks" don't clump, but are aggravating to operate for some.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 04:32:05 AM
All the Phillips drivers on my SOGs I think are #1.  Which is one gripe I have about SOG.  If this is going to be your first SOG I'd recommend a PowerPlier.  Its an older tool.  The tools don't lock and it has no pocket clip.  BUT, I feel it is a more robust tool than my PowerLock or my Power Assist and is my favorite SOG.  I EDC an ST300 and put it through ringer at work so I know they are a hard tool to beat.   :D

Whatever you choose, be sure to let us know.  You gotta have at least one SOG in the stable!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:35:14 AM by clown »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 05:36:40 AM
+1 on what clown said. Although, the older USA powerlocks are much sturdier than the newer outsourced powerlocks. The powerassist feels squishy a lot of the time. Older powerlock and powerplier are tough rugged MTs. And like clown said, anyone who likes MTs needs an older SOG MT!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 02:36:08 PM

-Would like a similar toolset to something like a ST300. Priority are good pliers, and a good selection of screwdrivers. Especially important is a good #2 philips (with as long a shaft as possible).
-Size: ST300 ish or smaller
-Carry options: really want something that has a pocket clip
-Finish: I'll do stainless steel or BO, would prefer the stainless though
-New or used? Don't really mind if there's a good condition used one.

Ah...

* 55524121.jpg (Filesize: 93.15 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 02:52:00 PM
the three members that commented above are spot on.
The older SOGs were more robust and, to me, more versatile and better tools overall. The PowerPlier is the tank of the older tools in the market, much like the Surge is of the newer ones. Has lots of implements too, many drivers and a relatively long Phillips.
Nice stainless and not hard to find used and in good working condition

Hardly any SOG comes with a pocket clip but you can easily add one. I did that to my PocketPowerPlier and Blacktip (pic). OG tools in general are very easy and fun to modify and tinker with

the Powerlock is also nice but bigger than the PP and to me its toolset is not as nice, even though the tools lock. I put a Phillips driver from Leatherman on one, it was easy, work(ed) like a charm and is much better than the SOG driver (2nd PL from left)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 03:05:32 PM
the three members that commented above are spot on.
The older SOGs were more robust and, to me, more versatile and better tools overall. The PowerPlier is the tank of the older tools in the market, much like the Surge is of the newer ones. Has lots of implements too, many drivers and a relatively long Phillips.
Nice stainless and not hard to find used and in good working condition

(Image removed from quote.)

Hardly any SOG comes with a pocket clip but you can easily add one. I did that to my PocketPowerPlier and Blacktip (pic). OG tools in general are very easy and fun to modify and tinker with

the Powerlock is also nice but bigger than the PP and to me its toolset is not as nice, even though the tools lock. I put a Phillips driver from Leatherman on one, it was easy, work(ed) like a charm and is much better than the SOG driver (2nd PL from left)

Ohh my!  :like:
That is a picture of some wonderful SOGs! :drool:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 03:09:11 PM

You're the man!!!

They do look fantastic. Like i said cack phillips, but the plier heads, saw, awl and plane blade are all ace.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:46 PM
This fella lives down the side of my couch for tinkering purposes...
20171028_141115.jpg
* 20171028_141115.jpg (Filesize: 353.09 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 03:40:53 PM
I got to looking and believe the #1 phillips on SOGs could be changed to a #1/#2 combo compromise if needed. All you'd need to do is lap the driver tip on a sharpening stone until it fits snug into a #2 screw and sort of works on a #1 screw. When it is the way you want, then smooth the edges with a piece of medium sandpaper.
I may order an extra phillips from SOG to modify and change the Robertson driver out in the power plier for a second phillips modded to work on #2 screws as well.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 03:52:55 PM
I got to looking and believe the #1 phillips on SOGs could be changed to a #1/#2 combo compromise if needed. All you'd need to do is lap the driver tip on a sharpening stone until it fits snug into a #2 screw and sort of works on a #1 screw. When it is the way you want, then smooth the edges with a piece of medium sandpaper.
I may order an extra phillips from SOG to modify and change the Robertson driver out in the power plier for a second phillips modded to work on #2 screws as well.

You know what Gerleatherberman, that is a most excellent idea!!!

au Offline mr626

• We sell products and get in fights
Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 11:02:21 AM
Thanks for the replies all, most helpful  :salute:

I think to make this easier, I'm going to have to forget about the pocket clip idea for now. I can pocket carry without it I guess.

From what you have all said, it sounds like I need to keep my eyes peeled for an older model Powerpiler. Will let you know what I end up with.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:25:03 PM
nice!
the PPlier was not my 1st, 2nd or 3rd SOG but nowadays it's the one I'd recommend to get to know the brand and style

IME the Powerlock tends to deceive people (the internal components above all), the Blacktip is rare and too big for most people, the PAssist is kinda gimmicky and overly complicated for the tools it offers, and the PowerPlier just have too much competence with power clips, more complete toolsets or other attractive features
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

fi Offline Padre

Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 01:36:40 PM
PowerLock and PPP are both fantastic. I also like ParaTool. Stay away from the new ones.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!