Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Failure is not a bad thing

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Failure is not a bad thing
on: October 27, 2017, 04:59:57 PM
We usually think that failure is a bad thing, but I have to disagree.  I think failure can teach you a lot, and, when done right it can be smurfloads of fun!   >:D

Case in point, my latest couple of kayak trips on the Ottawa River.  Earlier in the week I decided to take my kayak out to Westboro Beach on the Ottawa River and see if I could get into this spot that I have driven by a few times and always wanted to paddle through.  Unfortunately there is a bit of a challenge- there's a few spots that are pretty dangerous, namely the rapids under a bridge called Island Park, and some more rapids called the Remic Rapids.  For those not familiar with my equipment, I have a 17 foot fiberglass kayak, which is designed for use in the ocean, not in rapids.   :facepalm:

But, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.  And, when all you have is a giant fiberglass boat, everything looks like an ocean!

Well, not quite, but I'll pretend, because if I did things the way I'm supposed to do them I'd never have any bloody fun at all!   >:D

Anyways, on to the fun and photos!

A few days ago I started paddling at one of my favorite local paddling spots, Westboro Beach.  It's not far from my house, just a few blocks west of me, is a nice beach to get in and out of a boat on and, in the summer has a nice bar/restaurant that you can paddle up to, get out of your boat, climb onto the patio and have a margarita!

Because of the rapids to the west of the beach (the Deschenes Rapids) and the hydroelectric dam to the east, there is very little boat traffic on this section of the river, and I pretty well had the whole section to myself.  This part is reasonably popular with paddlers because of the lack of power boat traffic since there really aren't any good boat launches here, and some spots are a bit rough.  Between the Deshenes Rapids and the dam there are also the rapids under the Island Park Bridge and the Remic Rapids.  If you want to follow on the map and see what I am talking about, click this link:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Westboro+Beach/@45.3953367,-75.7634748,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4cce03ff618ed2a9:0x2babc78ea8de1400!8m2!3d45.3952794!4d-75.7611799

Island Park is the one that goes over Bates Island.

Anyways, my thought a few days ago was to see if I could go through the rapids under Island Park a,d through the Remic Rapids and get in and around some of the islands to the east of the beach. 

It may not look like a spectacular day in some of the photos, but it was just over 20C, which is absolutely great in the latter half of October!

It was a beautiful, mostly sunny day and the fall colors are out in full force.  This is one of my favorite times to paddle, as the trees are so pretty, and more importantly there are no smurfing bugs!

Unfortunately as I got close to Island Park I realized that the water was too fast and there were far too many rocks to risk it in a fiberglass boat.  I actually got hung up on a rock at one point and had to spend more energy getting off of it while fighting a current than I'd have liked.  If I had a whitewater boat or even a plastic boat, like the one Megan usually paddles I may have been a bit more adventurous, but as everyone always reminds me, my boat is pink and has suffered a lot of age and cracks over the years, some even before I got it!  :P

As such, I failed and ended up paddling back upstream to Westboro Beach and decided to pack it in for the day.  All in all, I was out for about an hour, and fighting the current is hard work!

End of Part 1.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Failure is not a bad thing
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:03:54 PM
So common sense kicked in and you turned around?

Don't see the failure there ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 05:34:57 PM
Part 2 was yesterday's adventure.  I decided to try the same thing, but instead of going in at Westboro Beach, I would put in near the Remic Rapids.  I know for a fact the Remic Rapids are deeper, as a few weeks ago I watched a guy on a stand up paddleboard go through there, get stuck and have to walk out, and the water was roughly hip deep on him.  With less concerns about rocks I figured it was worth a shot.

First I paddles upstream to the lower part of the Island Park rapids to see if they were any better, and I wedged myself on another rock... going upstream.  :facepalm:  That convinced me that going through the rapids under the bridge was a complete and utter waste of time.

Before I go any further, I'd like to point out that while it seems I am pretty far out of town in some of these pics, I am really about a two minute drive from the downtown core of TWO cities, straddling the border of TWO provinces and within full view of the seat of power in Canada- the Parliament buildings, out equivalent of Capitol Hill in the US.  And I'm paddling on a quiet river with no other boat traffic and admiring the colors of the leaves on all of the trees around me.  If the rest of this post bores the living poop out of you, at least be impressed by that!  The pointy building just to the left of center in that photo looks like this when you get a little closer:

And I am just a mile or two upstream, on that very river you see behind it.

But, getting on with it, after deciding Island Park was just not an option, I decided to head back and check out the Remic Rapids, which look sort of impressive from shore, but not too serious.  When you are sitting right above them in a fragile hunk of fiberglass that can easily be swept sideways, it's an entirely different story!

I didn't get any pics of the good parts for obvious reasons- when a boat turns sideways in a current it can then easily be rolled over, and I always try to keep the paddler/boat ratio the same.  I put in a bit of effort to stay right side up and not get turned in the rapids or the churning water behind, and it was exhilarating.  I have shot more violent rapids before, but not in a while and not usually in this boat.  A longer boat shouldn't turn as easily, but if it gets twisted in a churning current that extra length provides a lot of leverage for the current to keep turning it, and very little chance for the paddler to straighten it out.  The turn grows exponentially, and your hopes for straightening it out decrease just as fast, so you really have to keep on top of the direction if you want to keep on top of the boat!

Once I was through though I considered it well worth the effort though, as the islands are so much more beautiful close up, and my terrible camera phone pics just don't do them justice.

This is the bridge to the water treatment plant, near the spot I was expecting to have to take out at.

I spent a goodly amount of time paddling in and around all the small islands, despite there being quite a bit of current going through many of them.  It was a beautiful place to paddle, and I really appreciated how quiet and alone I was, despite being very close to the downtown core of the city. 

Then, as I was paddling around I decided to see if I could make it back upstream to take out where I went in, nice and close to where the Jeep was parked.  I started to paddle upstream, and I was making a lot more progress than I though.  At first I thought I would just go and see how far I'd get and how bad it looked.  As I got closer and closer to the rapids it seemed quite do-able and so I decided to keep going.  The rapids are in stages, and every time I passed from one level to the next I was impressed... but also got more and more worn out.

As I kept paddling I eventually realized that I was putting in my all and not getting anywhere.  It was taking everything I had just to stay in one place, and I hadn't even gotten to the hard parts yet!   :ahhh

After a few minutes of that I started searching for easier paths to get upstream, but that wore me out even more, and eventually I had to admit defeat again.  This wasn't easy either though, as I needed to try and do a 180 degree turn in a 17 foot boat in a very powerful current, and I strongly suggest that this is not a situation you ever want to find yourself in!   :ahhh

I managed it though, using two parts experience, one part skill and three parts reckless stupidity, and soon I was going with the current to the secondary take out point that I'd had in the back of my mind earlier.  As the Mythbusters say, Failure is always an option, and I almost always have a back up plan, even when my main plan doesn't make much sense....

I did a bit more exploring of the islands since I was going that way anyway, and eventually made it to the secondary take out spot, where I came out of the water with no incidents at all.  There's a few more rocks on the shore than I'd have liked, but no matter- I have gone in and taken out at much worse places in my time!

Now there's just one more problem.... I'm about 2kms (over a mile) from where I'm parked!   :ahhh

At least I was expecting to ail and brought my kayak cart, so I unpacked it, threw all of my equipment (paddles, pfd etc) into the boat, loaded it on the cart and started the long walk back to the Jeep with a 17 foot wheelbarrow in tow!  Boy did I get a lot of dirty looks from the cyclists on the path, but it was well worth it!

Failing at stuff never felt so good!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 05:37:21 PM
No failure! A nice paddle that just didn't go as planned. Looks wonderful. I usually paddle with a kayak out of some sort of hard plastic because I always it stuff or get to close to stuff when I get curious.

I got stuck in a current under a bridge once, the water was going fast and there was a lot of rocks. I ended up backwards and managed to get out of the current safely. Lots of audiences on the bridge

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 05:54:22 PM
I bought myself a nice plastic boat years ago so I could either retire this one or fix it up, but then I met an attractive young lady and I haven't been allowed to paddle my plastic boat since!

Def

ca Offline JP

Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 07:16:40 PM
I bought myself a nice plastic boat years ago so I could either retire this one or fix it up, but then I met an attractive young lady and I haven't been allowed to paddle my plastic boat since!

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
Good on ya for getting out there.

No more solo stuff on the river though please.

Buddy System

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 10:52:14 PM
Very pretty shots Grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 11:21:44 PM
Very pretty shots Grant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially the last one!  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 11:52:01 PM
Great photos  :tu:

Failure is the best teacher, as long as you learn from them and don't keep trying trying the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Learn from your own mistakes, but only do it once, better to learn from others   :D
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 12:22:23 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Def
Good on ya for getting out there.

No more solo stuff on the river though please.

Buddy System

[ego]

I'm the best paddler I know, and the only person I would have faith in to take on a trip like that is still in NS.  Megan wouldn't do it and I wouldn't want to take her on something like that.  Not that I don't think she could handle it- she could, but she wouldn't enjoy it.  If I go by myself, I don't have to worry about anyone else and I can concentrate on keeping myself alive.

[/ego]

But yes, I have heard the news reports of how many people each year are pulled out of there, and I am aware that even the fastest response/help is going to arrive way too late to do anything but pick up the pieces, but hey, who wants to live forever?

Def

ca Offline JP

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 02:21:46 AM
This guy.....(thumbs pointing to myself). 

Ottawa is full of people that will paddle with you. Go and make some friends!

My advice is free and just as valuable.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 08:20:57 AM
Great trip Grant ! I'd be a fan of plastic boats over fibreglass whenever rocks are involved !
As for going solo each to their own. I know a few solo sea kayakers but their skill level is far superior to mine and I think it comes down to comfort and skill.

But we're all very fond of you and want to keep you around so be careful out there.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 02:06:09 PM
This guy.....(thumbs pointing to myself). 

Ottawa is full of people that will paddle with you. Go and make some friends!

My advice is free and just as valuable.

I go kayaking to get away from people.  :P

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 11:53:13 AM
Maintaining the boat to paddler ratio seems like a good idea to me too.  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 12:51:48 PM
Pardon my ignorance, what is the big sponge like thing strapped onto the boat as shown in the first few pics for?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 12:52:46 PM
It looks like a big sponge to me.  :D

All hail the hook!

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 01:05:18 PM
I believe it is a sponge, used to get the last bit of water out of the boat after it has been emptied/pumped out. Saves you sitting in a puddle, or if you have (dry)bags in the hatches saves them getting wet.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 01:24:39 PM
It looks like a big sponge to me.  :D

Really, boss?!

Show content

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 01:38:40 PM
Failure to loose it and roll over is not a bad thing!  :rofl:

:cheers: Thanks for sharing......I really miss going for a paddle, even with the occasional mishap  :salute:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 01:44:32 PM

:cheers: Thanks for sharing......I really miss going for a paddle, even with the occasional mishap  :salute:

Miss Going!

:hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 03:32:20 PM

I see you changed your avatar pic.  :D

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 03:19:46 AM
Looks like a nice adventure and as others have said, not a failure.  :salute:

Just one thing, on the map you referenced, the Island Park rapids appear to be called the Remic Rapids ie they are not different rapids. Does that mean you actually went through the Little Chaudière Rapids?  :pok:
But, getting on with it, after deciding Island Park was just not an option, I decided to head back and check out the Remic Rapids, which look sort of impressive from shore, but not too serious

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 03:21:01 AM

That's his offishial one.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 10:00:46 AM

That's his offishial one.
:D

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 10:26:54 AM
Phew, didn't get the  :facepalm:...   :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 10:41:06 AM

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:25 AM
 :-\
Show content
:-[
Show content
:cry:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 31, 2017, 10:54:14 AM
 Maybe I'll stop facepalming if you make more puns.  :whistle:

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #28 on: October 31, 2017, 11:09:29 AM
Oh you want more puns?  :think:
Show content
Are you a glutton for punishment?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:15:38 AM by Syncop8r »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: October 31, 2017, 11:16:34 AM
Oh you want more puns?  :think:
Show content
Are you a glutton for punishment?

Please, don't!

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Show content
It will be punfull to everyone...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD