Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Failure is not a bad thing

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Failure is not a bad thing
Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 12:30:00 PM
Pardon my ignorance, what is the big sponge like thing strapped onto the boat as shown in the first few pics for?

You are required by law here to have a bailing device in all boats, and while I do have a bailing cup I often find a big sponge just works a lot better, especially for the smaller amounts of water that the bailing cup can't catch, or that gets sloshed into the boat from wet feet when you are getting in from the water.  However water gets in, you want to get it out, and the sponge is great for that.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 12:34:33 PM
Looks like a nice adventure and as others have said, not a failure.  :salute:

Just one thing, on the map you referenced, the Island Park rapids appear to be called the Remic Rapids ie they are not different rapids. Does that mean you actually went through the Little Chaudière Rapids?  :pok:
But, getting on with it, after deciding Island Park was just not an option, I decided to head back and check out the Remic Rapids, which look sort of impressive from shore, but not too serious

You are absolutely correct.  I hadn't noticed that before- I was under the impression that the Little Chaudiere rapids were the Remic Rapids since that is the closest set to the parking lot when you get to the Remic Rapids park.   :facepalm:

I guess when I think if Chaudiere, I think of the falls at the hydro station at Chaudiere Island, and I really have no interest in going through there.  While my well being may not be high on my priority list, hitting those falls is much closer to suicide than I am interested in doing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 06:50:11 PM
Pardon my ignorance, what is the big sponge like thing strapped onto the boat as shown in the first few pics for?

You are required by law here to have a bailing device in all boats, and while I do have a bailing cup I often find a big sponge just works a lot better, especially for the smaller amounts of water that the bailing cup can't catch, or that gets sloshed into the boat from wet feet when you are getting in from the water.  However water gets in, you want to get it out, and the sponge is great for that.

Def

I would never have thought of that. Thanks!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 09:41:15 PM
Yes you would have- your first time in a kayak!  :D

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 10:18:35 AM

Def

Unfortunately due to disability there won't ever be a time. Canoe would make far more sense with my legs. My feet are locked at right angles to my legs, no movement at all. From my memories of turning over in kayaks when a kid, that would trap me in there for too long. I'd love to properly sail in a canoe though. Maybe one day when I get my act together.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: November 01, 2017, 02:57:43 PM

Def

Unfortunately due to disability there won't ever be a time. Canoe would make far more sense with my legs. My feet are locked at right angles to my legs, no movement at all. From my memories of turning over in kayaks when a kid, that would trap me in there for too long. I'd love to properly sail in a canoe though. Maybe one day when I get my act together.

I'm glad to hear that you aren't letting that stop you, and if you are ever in my neighborhood, I will go to serious lengths to help that become a reality for you!

And, I will even buy you a sponge of your very own!  :D

Def

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 08:42:10 AM

Def

I'm glad to hear that you aren't letting that stop you, and if you are ever in my neighborhood, I will go to serious lengths to help that become a reality for you!

And, I will even buy you a sponge of your very own!  :D

Def

Thanks man!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:44:01 AM by pomsbz »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 10:49:43 PM
I decided today I was going to do a rerun of this trip, but this time in the new boat, a 13 foot hybrid whitewater boat that should handle the rapids a lot differently the 17 foot fiberglass ocean boat did.  And boy did it!

https://youtu.be/W0bmaeoWZWo

Luckily I managed to remember the GoPro this time, so I got some cool footage.  :D

But that's getting ahead of myself!

I started off good as I managed to figure out how to get my cart into the hold of this boat.  The cart frame doesn't fit in either of my other boats, so I usually have to strap it to the top.  Not a big deal, but with all of the internal cargo space, I hate putting things that aren't needed on the deck because they have a tendency to go in the drink, and I figured the boat would be thirsty today!

Having the cart would be important, as like last time I would be walking about 2kms back to where the Jeep was parked, and I don't want to carry the boat that far, even without all of the gear that goes with it!

After paddling up to the Remic Rapids, then down the Little Chaudiere Rapids, just like last time I spent some time in and around some of the small islands.  Of course I recorded all of that on the GoPro as well, but that isn't very fun video, even though at one point I was dodging an island while cruising near the speed of sound (or so it felt!) when I caught part of the current.  I amused myself several times as the first piece of advice I give new paddlers is to not go sideways in a current.  Go with it and you are fine.  Go against it and you are fine.  Go sideways and you have problems.  Well, I spent an awful lot of time going sideways in the current today, and I loved every minute of the paddling equivalent to poking a bear with a very short stick!

You may recognize the above photo as being very similar to the one I took last time.

That's because I came out at the same spot, and figured it was silly not to recreate it!

It doesn't take a kayak enthusiast to note the very different lines on each boat, does it?  :D

Just like last time, it was a lengthy walk back, but I managed it without too much trouble.  It was, as last time, very upsetting to the many cyclists that use the path, but I am ok with that.   >:D

On the walk I saw this sign:

Yeah, no smurf.  That's why I was here!   :ahhh

I also managed to snap a couple of pics of the water, although from this vantage point they don't look nearly as exciting as they do when you are in the river! 

It was an awful lot of fun, and again, involved a lot less death than it could have, so I'm chalking it up as a win!

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: September 20, 2018, 05:44:30 AM
 :like: :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 04:33:56 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

:tu: :tu:

One question: how's the water (pollution wise) so close to a big city? Don't you need some shots to sail/paddle/swim there?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #40 on: October 02, 2018, 12:01:24 AM
The water pollution isn't bad.  I wouldn't drink it because of bacteria levels, but for swimming and paddling it isn't bad.  There's no sewage or anything dangerous being dumped into it, and, at least around here the amount of garbage dumped in it is minimal.

It's also a large river, and moves pretty well so it stays as clean as is possible for something that passes numerous towns and cities.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #41 on: October 04, 2018, 02:07:17 PM
There's awlways a risk of some of the water getting in your mouth, either by having the kayak flipping or by some heavy splashing around it. The Tejo/Tagus has lots of people sailing or paddling in it, awlso fishing. The authorities recommend that you don't eat what you fish, though.

On the south bank, there's some bivalve picking. People put these in clean water for sometime before eating them.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: October 04, 2018, 11:34:11 PM
There is indeed a chance of that- but that's why you chew on water purifier tablets immediately afterwards, so you don't get sick.  :D

Seriously, I am not such a delicate flower that I can't deal with a small amount of bacteria flushing through my system.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%