Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fixed blade for 30 day challenge.

us Offline 4everYoung

Fixed blade for 30 day challenge.
on: October 27, 2017, 05:23:59 PM
This is an open invite to anyone wanting try to carry a fixed blade for the next 30days. Im sure some of you already do this. This is not a rule strict challenge.
If you want to participate just post up you knife of choice for the day and let me know your thoughts of the knife. Did you use it? Why or why not? This is not restricted to just a fixed blade, by all means carry what you normally do and add a fixed blade to the list.
If you can post everyday great if not post when you can and document the days. There is no reward except a better understanding of yourself and your tools.

us Offline 4everYoung

Re: Fixed blade for 30 day challenge.
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 05:29:43 PM
Day 1 for me
Just arrived yesterday.
Crkt minimalist wharncliffe.

Used it to open some muffin mix this morning.

Mmmmm muffins.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:34:13 PM
Day 2
Opened my fisher space pen refill to mid my zebra F-701.

Also cut up a hotdog for my daughter. No pics of that tho.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:20:03 PM
Looks like you are off to a good start.  Nice to not have to open a knife for little tasks huh?  I wished here in Cali we could carry our fixed blades concealed.  Here in Calif its legal to carry a fixed blade but it must be fully exposed on your belt.  I dont tuck my shirts in so this is a bid of a nuisance at times.  I'm not entirely sure what the law is regarding neck knives. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline getahl

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 08:13:23 PM
Ooh, this might be interesting.  I can start Nov 1, after the Chuck Yeager challenge wraps up. I'll probably carry a Minimalist too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:33:45 PM
Ooh, this might be interesting.  I can start Nov 1, after the Chuck Yeager challenge wraps up. I'll probably carry a Minimalist too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sounds good. The more the merrier!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 05:56:24 PM
Day 3 opening some of its for the kids. Really haven't had much adjustment so far.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:32:04 PM
doimg well so far   :tu:
After some months of use I thinned out one of my 2 Wharnies with some sandpaper and elbow grease, and its performance skyrocketed (albeit at a loss of edge retention), making it an effective neck scalpel

on this size of blade I put slicing ability before edge retention so that mod was a game-changer for me. Just so you know in case you end up finding yours too thick   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 12:16:50 AM
Day 4 opening some pain meds.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 01:27:25 AM
Day 5.
Cut up some cheesy breadsticks for my daughter.
Also gave neck carry a try. It wasn't as bad as I had expected.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 06:22:44 PM
Day 1

Here we are in a new month and I am ready to join in this challenge.  I've been contemplating the EDC fixed blade knife and what I've determined so far is that for my purposes, it is a substitute for a folding pocket knife and should not be expected to be used for anything that I wouldn't otherwise use a folding pocket knife for. It should be small, light weight, and unobtrusive. It should be easily carried as a neck knife or in a pocket and not need to be on my belt. It should have a blade 3 inches or less and an overall length of probably no more than 7 inches.  I've narrowed my choices down to these few and I will carry each of them for a few days to determine which suits me best.  Under the designated hitter rule I reserve the right to make a substitution at any time
fixed blade challenge day 1.JPG
* fixed blade challenge day 1.JPG (Filesize: 116.24 KB)

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 06:46:04 PM
Day 1

Here we are in a new month and I am ready to join in this challenge.  I've been contemplating the EDC fixed blade knife and what I've determined so far is that for my purposes, it is a substitute for a folding pocket knife and should not be expected to be used for anything that I wouldn't otherwise use a folding pocket knife for. It should be small, light weight, and unobtrusive. It should be easily carried as a neck knife or in a pocket and not need to be on my belt. It should have a blade 3 inches or less and an overall length of probably no more than 7 inches.  I've narrowed my choices down to these few and I will carry each of them for a few days to determine which suits me best.  Under the designated hitter rule I reserve the right to make a substitution at any time

Great to have you looking forward to your feedback.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 06:53:50 PM
Day 1

That crkt look nice!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 07:15:38 PM
I agree the CRKT does look nice.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 07:17:39 PM
Its nice reading the Minimalist is working for you.  Neck carry can take getting used to if you dont wear anything around the neck.  Its certainly convenient to carry and remove, so neck carry is a nice option.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 10:17:37 PM
The CRKT is the Hunt'N Fisch designed by Larry Fischer.  It is a nice knife but the handle is slippery.  It is such a pretty knife that I hesitate to checker the handle but it really would benefit from some file work to give it some texture.  I've had it for a while now and I've been wanting to make a leather, back pocket sheath similar to the KSF Adirondack that would hold it and a Rebar or Spirit.  That might happen this month before I carry it.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:13 PM
Day 6
Was a slow day for me.
So far just opened a package of water.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:52 PM
This looks like an interesting thread to watch. The only fixed blade I own is my Mora Bushcrafter Black. Can’t edc that knife, not where I work. LOL

But a small fixed blade carried in such a way for easy access (not on neck) would prove beneficial.

I’ll be following to see what you all come up with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 11:39:29 PM
This looks like an interesting thread to watch. The only fixed blade I own is my Mora Bushcrafter Black. Can’t edc that knife, not where I work. LOL

But a small fixed blade carried in such a way for easy access (not on neck) would prove beneficial.

I’ll be following to see what you all come up with!

I've been happy so far with the crkt minimalist. It really just disappears on the belt.  And really handy to grab if needed.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 10:56:26 AM
This is a great challenge :like: I only first saw this challenge thread last night when I was heading to bed or I would have otherwise already commented :ahhh

Great pics so far and can't wait to see what all this challenge has to offer :tu: So far it has been a good read :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 11:18:43 AM
Day 1

hey, nice mini knives!
I have the top one, Black Tanto knife. I bought two and used one for 2 years until it was so bent, worn and abused that I got rid of it. I truly put it through some hell and to my surprise it held well. After chipping it and rolling the edge multiple times, the steel was so easy to bring back to usable, and I often used it as a scraper with excellent results. The blade shape lends to that use very well.   :tu:

my sheath for it had a whistle on top, does yours too?  :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:26 AM
I am liking that little CRKT Minimalist, but undecided on the Wharncliffe blade or more normal blade.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 12:09:39 PM
I am liking that little CRKT Minimalist, but undecided on the Wharncliffe blade or more normal blade.

I'm not a Bowie fan. My favorite blade style is the sheepsfoot blade. The wharncliffe was the most similar. However there is a drop point blade option available too. That was my second option.
So far I've been happy with the wharncliffe style. It's more utilitarian than a skinner

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 12:49:46 PM
This kind of challenge is right up my road.
Generally, my requirements for a fixed blade is that the blade is no less than 3.5 inches. I like them to be around 4 to 5 inches preferably. I like to carry them on my belt or as a necker. However I do like some small fixed blades. The CRKT Minimalist is one of them. I use it only for leather work or making gaskets. Brilliant for that kind of work.

I have 3 fixed blades that I use constantly, my Mora 2000, Mora Kansbol and the Mora Bushcraft Black. The 2000 and Kansbol are my everyday users. They do everything from cutting twine to scraping shmoo off of valve pans. My Bushcraft Black is only for when I head out into the bush. Although the last few times, beside Gaute's Triflex, I have taken the Kansbol. It makes for a great work edc blade and then turn around and head for the woods and it becomes a great bush knife.

I took a pic yesterday but did not get the chance to post it later.  So I will post yesterday's and today's if it is cool with you lot.
I will get some pics of my other blades later.

20171102_072253_1024x1024.jpg
* 20171102_072253_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 93.05 KB)
20171102_072618_1024x1024.jpg
* 20171102_072618_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 46.68 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 12:53:03 PM
This kind of challenge is right up my road.
Generally, my requirements for a fixed blade is that the blade is no less than 3.5 inches. I like them to be around 4 to 5 inches preferably. I like to carry them on my belt or as a necker. However I do like some small fixed blades. The CRKT Minimalist is one of them. I use it only for leather work or making gaskets. Brilliant for that kind of work.

I have 3 fixed blades that I use constantly, my Mora 2000, Mora Kansbol and the Mora Bushcraft Black. The 2000 and Kansbol are my everyday users. They do everything from cutting twine to scraping shmoo off of valve pans. My Bushcraft Black is only for when I head out into the bush. Although the last few times, beside Gaute's Triflex, I have taken the Kansbol. It makes for a great work edc blade and then turn around and head for the woods and it becomes a great bush knife.

I took a pic yesterday but did not get the chance to post it later.  So I will post yesterday's and today's if it is cool with you lot.
I will get some pics of my other blades later.
Glad to have ya in the challenge. Glad to see some different perspectives for fixed blade carries.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 09:59:56 PM
Day 2

Tasked the Frost Little Talon with cutting down my flying ghost Halloween decorations. Second cheapest knife I'm trying in this challenge but price is not an indicator of usefulness, durability, or sharpness.  I had to grind down the end of the handle just a little bit because it comes pointy enough to get really annoying, poking me in the belly every time I sat down. Rounded it off with a file in about 5 minutes.  It's discontinued in the gray and black but can still be found on the webs for sale.  It was replaced with the same knife but with a camo finish.  I am carrying this on my belt because I attached a multitool to it for a one piece combo and I didn't want to take that apart in order to pocket carry the knife by itself.
fixed blade challenge day 2.JPG
* fixed blade challenge day 2.JPG (Filesize: 130.67 KB)
P1100947.JPG
* P1100947.JPG (Filesize: 139.37 KB)
P1100948.JPG
* P1100948.JPG (Filesize: 104.41 KB)
P1100950.JPG
* P1100950.JPG (Filesize: 119.94 KB)

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 10:16:49 PM
Day 1

hey, nice mini knives!
I have the top one, Black Tanto knife. I bought two and used one for 2 years until it was so bent, worn and abused that I got rid of it. I truly put it through some hell and to my surprise it held well. After chipping it and rolling the edge multiple times, the steel was so easy to bring back to usable, and I often used it as a scraper with excellent results. The blade shape lends to that use very well.   :tu:

my sheath for it had a whistle on top, does yours too?  :cheers:
The mini tanto neck knife is the cheapest knife I will use for the challenge and yes, it does have a whistle on the scabbard.  These are still available for $2.98 from Bud K so I added a few the last time I placed an order with them.  Not too sure if the chisel grind can be sharpened enough to really replace other knives, but it is so light I don't notice when I'm carrying it.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 10:43:32 PM
Day 7
Opening more toys

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 12:21:16 AM
Got to go out in the bush today.
20171102_150358_1024x1024.jpg
* 20171102_150358_1024x1024.jpg (Filesize: 173.06 KB)
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 03:19:41 AM
Great pics guys :like: :like:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!