Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Gerber MP1 Thread

clown · 64 · 5184

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Re: The Gerber MP1 Thread
Reply #30 on: November 29, 2018, 03:02:47 PM
Thanks Sam for the comments  :tu:

I really need some heavy duty pliers so you might just have swayed me to the "nay" side  :-\

Hey but that my impression.. I didn't put it through much use. The earlier comments seems to praise it after using it. Someone with more hands on with it will have more input I am sure.

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 29, 2018, 03:10:20 PM
Then again, I am very biased against these type of anvil type cutters. I need mine to work with bare copper stranded wire. So they usually doesn't quite perform on this part.

Needs enlightenment. What's the different between a drop forged and cast pliers? Does it really makes so much of a difference?  :think:

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 29, 2018, 05:49:01 PM
Thanks again  :hatsoff:

Hopefully someone else will have some thoughts.......

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #33 on: December 05, 2018, 12:09:56 AM
Was thinking about getting one of these so wondered how they were holding up.
I like the idea of the "side cutter"pliers and the bit driver but not so sure on the spring action pliers!
I would appreciate any updates that would sway me one way or the other.......
     Thanks..

Sorry I haven't kept up with thread.  After my latest posts I shelved the MP1 and went back to my trusty LM300.  The pivot play got to be too bad for the pliers to be effective for my uses.  I intended on trying to peen the pivot but never got around to it.  I actually packed up the MP1 last week and sent it back to Gerber under warranty. 

I like a lot of things about this tool but I need pretty strong pliers for work and these didn't quite cut it.  Whether they repair or replace my MP1 I'll likely trade or sell it.  It'd be a great tool for someone not needing to do a ton of heavy twisting with the pliers.  Or I may end up keeping it in my kitchen drawer for quick repairs around the house. 

If you get one let us know how it works for you! :tu:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #34 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:10 PM
   I have one of these and I love the G10 scales. I wish more multi tools would have them (or stag!) as I think it adds a good bit of grip to the tool. I am not surprised about the body flexing. When I look in the tool, it does not seem to have a steel liner, at least not one that is under all of the G10.. This weakens it and makes it good for light to medium duty use. I am surprised about the pliers durability though.

gb Offline Jaypeebee

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 12:20:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys  :tu:
I'm still undecided....... :think:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 12:46:41 AM
Collection tool? Yes.
Tool to depend on? No.

IMO of course.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 05:23:50 AM
Collection tool? Yes.
Tool to depend on? No.

IMO of course.

Nailed it! 

UPDATE: Got an email from Gerber on the 5th saying my warranty had been processed and replacement should be arriving in 7-10 days.  Pretty quick turn around. 

us Offline algernonramone

Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 03:35:13 PM
I’m interested in the MRO variant, has anyone had a chance to try one of those?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 04:01:18 PM
Same basic frame, same pliers, and similar toolset; but MRO. I wouldn't expect it to be of any higher inherent quality and/or strength.

Quote from: clown

Nailed it! 

UPDATE: Got an email from Gerber on the 5th saying my warranty had been processed and replacement should be arriving in 7-10 days.  Pretty quick turn around. 
:woohoo:
I sure hope the replacement has zero play in the pliers.  :popcorn:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 06:50:55 PM
Same basic frame, same pliers, and similar toolset; but MRO. I wouldn't expect it to be of any higher inherent quality and/or strength.

Nailed it! 

So, what apears to be a brand new in the box with sheath and all MP1 arrived on my door step this morning.  Sure enough this one has plier play right outta the box.  Needless to say I'm a bit pi$$ed about it. 

Now, in all fairness, the play is minimal and likely wont affect the tools usefulness.  But to return a tool for a specific problem and to get one back with the EXACT same problem is result of laziness and apathy, pure and simple.  They must have just grabbed one off a shelf and threw it in a box and shipped it to me without even checking it.  Thanks for the new MP1, Gerber.  :bnghd:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 07:07:15 PM

Nailed it! 

So, what apears to be a brand new in the box with sheath and all MP1 arrived on my door step this morning.  Sure enough this one has plier play right outta the box.  Needless to say I'm a bit pi$$ed about it. 

Now, in all fairness, the play is minimal and likely wont affect the tools usefulness.  But to return a tool for a specific problem and to get one back with the EXACT same problem is result of laziness and apathy, pure and simple.  They must have just grabbed one off a shelf and threw it in a box and shipped it to me without even checking it.  Thanks for the new MP1, Gerber.  :bnghd:

I too experience the same exact problem.. Diesel have a bit of machining problem on their cutter where they will leave a small gap between the cutter, making cutting soft cables impossible. I return a new one and they sent me back a nib with the same exact issue!!  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: December 08, 2018, 07:15:08 PM
I know the frustration. Last time for me was an OHT with highly misaligned pliers. New tool, pliers were almost as bad as the ones I sent in. :facepalm:

MT makers,
If I'm pissed enough to send a tool back for jacked up pliers, please check the one you are sending me to make sure it doesn't have the same problem. :rant:
/rant.

Looks like time for a little peening. >:D
Worst case: they are too tight and need working in.  :)

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 11:12:58 PM
I know the frustration. Last time for me was an OHT with highly misaligned pliers. New tool, pliers were almost as bad as the ones I sent in. :facepalm:

MT makers,
If I'm pissed enough to send a tool back for jacked up pliers, please check the one you are sending me to make sure it doesn't have the same problem. :rant:
/rant.

Looks like time for a little peening. >:D
Worst case: they are too tight and need working in.  :)

It's funny you say that.  I had the same issue with an OHT too! Lol.  Was so fed up after I finally got LM to send me a good one I ended up selling it.  Which is probably what I'll end up doing with this one.  So if anyone wants to try out an MP1 and can accept a tiny bit of wiggle shoot me a PM. I'll give you a decent price  :tu:

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #44 on: December 09, 2018, 08:49:17 PM
I did end up shooting an email back to Gerber letting them know I was less than pleased.  Not really in the hopes of them doing anything more but more just to tell them. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: December 09, 2018, 09:09:52 PM
I think loose pivots may be an inherent issue. Mine doesn't have much play, but it has a tiny bit. I know it would get worse if I used them.  :ahhh

Those jaws should have never been spring loaded. They would be twice as strong without the spring cavity.

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 09:19:03 PM
I think loose pivots may be an inherent issue. Mine doesn't have much play, but it has a tiny bit. I know it would get worse if I used them.  :ahhh

Those jaws should have never been spring loaded. They would be twice as strong without the spring cavity.

I agree.  That's why I don't really expect much else from Gerber.  If they would offer to trade for a different, comparably priced tool, I'd probably go for that but I don't see that happeneing.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 09:57:16 PM
@ Clown - Did you start this thread in October 2017, or this year, (2018)?

The date and time stamp indicates to me this thread is over a year old, yet the dates are concurrent from Oct 30, thru today Dec 8, 18?

Confused.

Yet interesting review, and disappointd results from Gerber and LM for warranty/quality issues.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 06:15:04 PM
@ Clown - Did you start this thread in October 2017, or this year, (2018)?

The date and time stamp indicates to me this thread is over a year old, yet the dates are concurrent from Oct 30, thru today Dec 8, 18?

Confused.

Yet interesting review, and disappointd results from Gerber and LM for warranty/quality issues.

Yup, started this last fall (2017) when I got my MP1.  Looks like I shelved it after a month or so of use.  Thread got resurrected by someone looking for input which reminded me to send mine in for warranty. 

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: July 26, 2019, 06:13:11 AM
Found three varieties so far for the MP1. The MP1 Weapons Maintenance Pro(top), Original MP1(middle), and the Maintenance Pro(bottom).
The Original MP1 with G10 handles feels higher quality than the molded plastic handles of the Pro and Weapons versions. But, that said, the Maintenance Pro and AR Weapons versions have the same build quality/fit & finish as the original MP1.

All three share the same pliers head. Finishes vary slightly, but not notably.

Left to right:
Maintenance Pro, Original, Weapons Maintenance.

Pro has driver/cross-cut file, a large hook, and lanyard loop. Original has two flat drivers, and Weapons has carbon scraper.

Pro has a gut hook at the tip of the SE blade and has a more aggressive grind pattern than the OG and Weapons.

Pro and OG have the chisel scraper thingies, while the Weapons has a "pin punch".

Pro and OG have the pry-tool/bottle opener, while the Weapons has the thread mount(with angle pick from factory) for weapons maintenance bits(like pick, brush, etc)

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 26, 2019, 06:56:56 AM
Found three varieties so far for the MP1. The MP1 Weapons Maintenance Pro(top), Original MP1(middle), and the Maintenance Pro(bottom).
The Original MP1 with G10 handles feels higher quality than the molded plastic handles of the Pro and Weapons versions. But, that said, the Maintenance Pro and AR Weapons versions have the same build quality/fit & finish as the original MP1.

(Image removed from quote.)

All three share the same pliers head. Finishes vary slightly, but not notably.

Left to right:
Maintenance Pro, Original, Weapons Maintenance.

Pro has driver/cross-cut file, a large hook, and lanyard loop. Original has two flat drivers, and Weapons has carbon scraper.

Pro has a gut hook at the tip of the SE blade and has a more aggressive grind pattern than the OG and Weapons.

Pro and OG have the chisel scraper thingies, while the Weapons has a "pin punch".

Pro and OG have the pry-tool/bottle opener, while the Weapons has the thread mount(with angle pick from factory) for weapons maintenance bits(like pick, brush, etc)

Great pics and comparison Gman! I didn't realise that there's a weapons version. Tools are very similar to those on the efect.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #51 on: November 18, 2019, 05:06:17 AM
It's funny you say that.  I had the same issue with an OHT too! Lol.  Was so fed up after I finally got LM to send me a good one I ended up selling it.  Which is probably what I'll end up doing with this one.  So if anyone wants to try out an MP1 and can accept a tiny bit of wiggle shoot me a PM. I'll give you a decent price  :tu:

Did you ever off-load the MP1 or do you still have it?

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: November 18, 2019, 10:33:59 PM
Great pics and comparison Gman! I didn't realise that there's a weapons version. Tools are very similar to those on the efect.
Sam,

I know it's been a while, but sorry I missed you reply!

Thank you for the kind words!

Indeed the Weapons MP1 has similarities to the eFect stuff. :iagree:

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #53 on: November 19, 2019, 03:17:45 AM
Apparently after calling Gerber this morning and speaking to  customer service agent, I learned this series was discontinued this year.   More than likely I am going to buy a MP1 MRO new before they become quite rare to find coupled with often a higher price point. 

While I do enjoy using my Center Drive Plus as this is a very well made mutli tool, I can't say I am exactly in favor of spring loaded pliers.  With that being said, do you think there is a way to remove the springs  without damaging this tool or do you think that would render this tool unusable? 

With perhaps few exceptions, brand new this item is roughly $100, so I am very skeptical of modifying a tool that there is no access to replacement parts let alone a warranty service.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:09 AM
Apparently after calling Gerber this morning and speaking to  customer service agent, I learned this series was discontinued this year.   More than likely I am going to buy a MP1 MRO new before they become quite rare to find coupled with often a higher price point. 

While I do enjoy using my Center Drive Plus as this is a very well made mutli tool, I can't say I am exactly in favor of spring loaded pliers.  With that being said, do you think there is a way to remove the springs  without damaging this tool or do you think that would render this tool unusable? 

With perhaps few exceptions, brand new this item is roughly $100, so I am very skeptical of modifying a tool that there is no access to replacement parts let alone a warranty service.
The MP1(and CD) have the springs inside of the pliers pivot in a hollow chamber. Absolutely no removal.  :-\

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: November 19, 2019, 09:21:44 AM
I did sell my CD, so I can´t have a closer but maybe the Diesel Plierhead can be made to work inside the CD? The MP 600 heads will be a bit too thick I guess.

00 Offline CarbideCruzer

Reply #56 on: November 19, 2019, 05:57:01 PM
On one hand, I have to hand it to Gerber for yet again brilliant innovation, yet in this specific case, I do wish there weren't any springs.  As this will mean, you will have to fold this every time and if you are ladder, there is a risk of this falling off.

In my opinion the reason Velcro is used instead of snap closures is likely because of price and timing.  While I am nearly 100% certain this is done by a machine, if this costs one penny less and one second less to use Velcro instead of a snap closure, I can completely see any company, not just Gerber using this.   Now the Center Drive sheath is exceptional and I really appreciate the fact Gerber produces this in USA and has one of my favorite statements embossed on the sheath as well.   That said, I rather Gerber put their time and effort into their tools rather than the sheaths as there is a sizable market for quality sheaths.

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 11, 2020, 01:59:37 PM
I'm using the MP1 latelly and have some considerations:
Pliers: Good grip, well made. The point is perfect for fine and precise jobs.
The wire striper is very good. The cutter can cut even the finer wires.
But the pliers is only suited for light to medium jobs.
(The tool flex when squeezed. Not a issue at all. It's necessary only understand the tool limitations).

Bit holder: Good in the function. But don't stay properly closed. No snap.
Had to file the G-10 scales to make It close a little better.

Blades: Good size. Mine came very sharp out the box.

Pry bar: I submited mine a lot of abuse. Zero problem. Unscatched.

G-10 scales: good grip. But I had to file some points.

Handle Splay: No complains. I have big hands and like spring assisted pliers.

(Sorry for my bad english and for any mistakes)

Overall a good tool. Good concept. But Gerber failed in some points.
Expensive tool for what you get. But I really liked this one.

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

br Offline Hevy (CT-782)

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: February 11, 2020, 02:01:57 PM
Ranger in action to reprofile some edges

Enviado de meu moto g(6) usando o Tapatalk

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #59 on: February 11, 2020, 02:22:27 PM
I do like the G-10 scales  :cheers: