Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Theseus Paradox and the new Star Trek....

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Theseus Paradox and the new Star Trek....
Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 06:30:42 AM
Still watching Discovery. Cheered like the fanboy I am when

Show content
Michelle Yeoh returned to the captain's chair. (M.Y. fanboy, just a relaxed fan when it comes to Star Trek in general.)
;)

I LOL'ed when she turned out to be the emperor.  :D

Quite like the show so far, too bad only one more episode left in the season.

nz Offline Sawl Goodman

• Between this & that.
Reply #31 on: February 09, 2018, 09:02:18 AM
Start Trek is a mental construction, a collective myth. It is what we say it is.
Myself, I have only seen the original series and first movie with Satner, Nimoy and the rest.
:facepalm:

I would suggest a look at Next Generation. I found it just as engaging as the original series and I liked its sense of humour. Personally, I lost interest after that. Of the Next Gen movies, First Contact is a gem. Data's hidden function as an inflatable liferaft! :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:51:09 AM by Sawl Goodman »
Rambler

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: February 09, 2018, 01:22:06 PM
Still watching Discovery. Cheered like the fanboy I am when

Show content
Michelle Yeoh returned to the captain's chair. (M.Y. fanboy, just a relaxed fan when it comes to Star Trek in general.)
;)

I LOL'ed when she turned out to be the emperor.  :D

Quite like the show so far, too bad only one more episode left in the season.

It seemed odd to me that in their research of the Terran Empire, no one bothered to look up any info on who the Emperor was.  I would think that would have come up at some point so I really don't understand why they were so shocked to see her.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #33 on: February 09, 2018, 02:19:43 PM
I haven't watched that one yet, but I have been eyeing it closely....

Def

Show content
It has a heck of a lot of boobs in it
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: February 09, 2018, 02:44:29 PM
I hope there is more to it than that.....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #35 on: February 09, 2018, 03:21:52 PM
I hope there is more to it than that.....

Def

Yes a heck of a lot more, it's staying pretty faithful to the book. It's a good whodunnit
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #36 on: February 09, 2018, 08:35:49 PM

It seemed odd to me that in their research of the Terran Empire, no one bothered to look up any info on who the Emperor was.  I would think that would have come up at some point so I really don't understand why they were so shocked to see her.   :facepalm:

Def

How else would you have the shocking twist of walking in the palace only to find out the mysterious evil emperor is your mom?  :D

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #37 on: February 09, 2018, 10:15:57 PM
Wasn't there some implication in the earlier episodes that her image was not commonly available? Such that they might not be able to find out what the emperor looked like?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: February 10, 2018, 03:51:36 AM
And her name wasn't part of any record?

I could maybe see that if she had assumed a name other than her own as an emperor, but I feel like these Terrans would have wanted to advertise their names to everyone for the mental advantage of being bigger than life.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:26 AM
I'm glad to see the way they did the season finale, concluded the story yet leaving you wanting for the next season. Looking forward to it.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #40 on: February 20, 2018, 02:00:20 PM
I'm on the 4th episode of the 2nd season...WTH!  they made a real mess with the Emperor, their alternate versions and all the spores/dreams stuff.
It's entertaining but a bit too exaggerated...  ???

also, I'm not of a particular opinion on the matter but I'm sure Roddenberry must be revolving inside his ash container (if it's still flying out there in orbit) seeing a Black woman as spaceship captain and a medic-scientist homosexual couple  at the leading crew of space investigation, given his mindset and the ideas he didn't keep to himself back in the day   :rofl:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #41 on: February 20, 2018, 02:16:01 PM
Saw the last of it...

Show content
Ok, how are they going to have Michael and Spock meet and still keep it consistent with the original Star Trek?!

How come the original Star Trek (which is chronological after Discovery) has no spore drive spaceships?!

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 01:09:45 PM
I'm on the 4th episode of the 2nd season...WTH!  they made a real mess with the Emperor, their alternate versions and all the spores/dreams stuff.
It's entertaining but a bit too exaggerated...  ???

also, I'm not of a particular opinion on the matter but I'm sure Roddenberry must be revolving inside his ash container (if it's still flying out there in orbit) seeing a Black woman as spaceship captain and a medic-scientist homosexual couple  at the leading crew of space investigation, given his mindset and the ideas he didn't keep to himself back in the day   :rofl:

I don't know- for his time Roddenberry was very progressive.  He wanted a female first officer on the original series but he wasn't allowed, and he did show the first interracial kiss on TV between Kirk and Uhura.  Plus, in his lifetime there was an Asian Captain (George Takei in the Original Series movies), a black Captain (Sisko on DS9), a female Captain (several in fact, but most notably, Janeway on Voyager), and there was that episode of Next Generation where Riker fell in love with the androgynous being.  Oh yeah, and numerous same sex encounters with Jadzia Dax and a few others here and there.

While his open mindedness may have had it's limits, I don't see any of the stuff on Discovery being that odd, merely modern day equivalents of the groundbreaking boundaries he pushed from the 60's to the 90's.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 01:12:17 PM
Saw the last of it...

Show content
Ok, how are they going to have Michael and Spock meet and still keep it consistent with the original Star Trek?!

How come the original Star Trek (which is chronological after Discovery) has no spore drive spaceships?!

I wonder about that too.  My guess is a limit to the amount of Mycellium in the universe?  Of course since it seems like they can grow a planet full of the stuff in minutes, I'm not 100% certain that's really a concern.

So maybe it is too damaging to the person that has to drive it?  I'm sure they wouldn't have continued to torture the tardigrades, but once they determined that humans could do it I started to wonder why myself.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 06:33:45 PM
Saw the last of it...

Show content

I wonder about that too.  My guess is a limit to the amount of Mycellium in the universe?  Of course since it seems like they can grow a planet full of the stuff in minutes, I'm not 100% certain that's really a concern.

So maybe it is too damaging to the person that has to drive it?
I'm sure they wouldn't have continued to torture the tardigrades, but once they determined that humans could do it I started to wonder why myself.

Def

If that was the case, why not just have a group of red shirts doing some of the interface for small periods of time? They could then either be given time to recover or just have others take their turn.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 06:36:47 PM
They apparently have not invented red shirts yet, judging by the fact that they all wear jumpsuits.

Which I imagine makes it very difficult to poop.   :ahhh

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 06:39:22 PM
They apparently have not invented red shirts yet, judging by the fact that they all wear jumpsuits.

Which I imagine makes it very difficult to poop.   :ahhh

Def

On the contrary!

Show content
Where do you think the suits get energy to power awl the leds and shinny bits they have?...

:pok: :pok:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 06:40:24 PM
Maybe the red shirts came after they started using humans to connect to the spore drive... you know, so as not to scare the others...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

tr Offline ddogu

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 08:14:52 PM
Saw the last of it...

Show content

Some commented that all that spore drive and the Discovery exist in an alternate universe and NOT in the universe we are accustomed in TOC, TNG and others. Well, that would make sense, but also make this series very dumb, too, IMHO.

I enjoyed the first season, though the finale seemed to be rushed up. And eventhough the fact that they went "love is all around us" is a real booooooring and bad smurf up (I'm not sure whether I'm using this sencorship expression correctly), all in all it was a fun series. Heck, it's Star Trek after all, it's always better than being without it.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: April 24, 2019, 02:17:49 PM
Second season of Discovery is done.......and I liked it a lot  :salute:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #50 on: April 24, 2019, 05:09:30 PM
I don't have a tv so have not seen any of it ......................but can we go back to the boobs ???????????????? :pok: :pok:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: April 24, 2019, 10:13:26 PM
Second season of Discovery is done.......and I liked it a lot  :salute:

I'm not done yet- I am a few episodes away from finishing, and I have to say that this was a very different season from the first.

What I liked:
Show content
1- Other characters were allowed to speak and have personalities.  I don't think the helmswoman or navigator even had a line in the entire first season, and now they actually have names and personalities.
2- Less use of the spore drive
3- Michelle Yeoh's character being a regular contributor.  I think she's an awesome actress, and I love seeing her in something regularly.

What I don't like:
Show content
1- The universe still revolved around Michael Burnham, and she is one of the worst, most incompetent characters I have ever seen.
2- Why Spock?  Couldn't they have smurfed with any of the literal billions of other Vulcans?  Why do they have to mess with canon even more than they already have?  Other than desperately trying a cheesy tie in with the original series, there is absolutely no reason it has to be Spock.
3- If the Red Angel was supposed to be Burnham from the future, why the hell would they have her involved with the planning to trap her/it?  That seems remarkably stupid.... and yes, I know that it turns out that she is not the Red Angel, but they didn't know that at the time.
4- While it is great that other characters now have names and personalities, why does everything (and I mean everything) have to be about Michael Burnham?  I know this is a repeat of point 1, but seriously... she's the Red Angel, she's the key to Spock's mental and legal issues and she's responsible for proving the half Klingon guy's innocence... all while dealing with the news that the guy from the top secret black ops group is the reason her parents were killed.
5- It's great that Saru has finally become a bit less of a wuss and is starting to be less of a wuss, so let's see him more and treat him like he matters, instead of just being a support for the various aspects of Burnham's stories... same with Tilley.

I hold to my original opinion that it may be good enough to watch, but it isn't Star Trek.  I (and millions of other Trek/Sci Fi fans worldwide I imagine) would appreciate it a lot more if it was called Space Alpha Seven and ran on it's own strength rather than trying to be a Star Trek.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: April 24, 2019, 11:42:41 PM
Depends who they are selling it to - are they selling to to crusty old neck beards from the earlier series (pick one and establish your nerd cred, whatever) or are they using a historically reliable brand and formula to sell it to a whole new audience of cashed up people with streaming services?

Is it In Space?
Is there a Valuable Lesson in each episode?
Are there Sexy Male Leads and Sexy Lady Aliens?

Then it's Star Trek.
The internal story and registration numbers of whichever ship are hardly relevant.

Whether you own a youtube channel or not, don't make the mistake of thinking you are the target audience for any given product, or that anyone cares if you could have done it better. (Just ask Michael Bay - he can't hear your complaints, because his house built of actual money keeps muffling the sound..(or Mickey Mouse.....)

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: April 25, 2019, 08:23:51 AM
(Just ask Michael Bay - he can't hear your complaints, because his house built of actual money keeps muffling the sound..(or Mickey Mouse.....)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: April 25, 2019, 08:30:14 AM

What I don't like:
Show content
1- The universe still revolved around Michael Burnham, and she is one of the worst, most incompetent characters I have ever seen.
2- Why Spock?  Couldn't they have smurfed with any of the literal billions of other Vulcans?  Why do they have to mess with canon even more than they already have?  Other than desperately trying a cheesy tie in with the original series, there is absolutely no reason it has to be Spock.
3- If the Red Angel was supposed to be Burnham from the future, why the hell would they have her involved with the planning to trap her/it?  That seems remarkably stupid.... and yes, I know that it turns out that she is not the Red Angel, but they didn't know that at the time.
4- While it is great that other characters now have names and personalities, why does everything (and I mean everything) have to be about Michael Burnham?  I know this is a repeat of point 1, but seriously... she's the Red Angel, she's the key to Spock's mental and legal issues and she's responsible for proving the half Klingon guy's innocence... all while dealing with the news that the guy from the top secret black ops group is the reason her parents were killed.
5- It's great that Saru has finally become a bit less of a wuss and is starting to be less of a wuss, so let's see him more and treat him like he matters, instead of just being a support for the various aspects of Burnham's stories... same with Tilley.

I hold to my original opinion that it may be good enough to watch, but it isn't Star Trek.  I (and millions of other Trek/Sci Fi fans worldwide I imagine) would appreciate it a lot more if it was called Space Alpha Seven and ran on it's own strength rather than trying to be a Star Trek.

Def

I think they address some of that in the last episodes, but as for your general complaint........I just can't take the whole thing that seriously, it's entertainment and I've never been able to immerse myself completely.
 :think:
How to explain it.....I'm a huge LOTR fan but I don't remember the smurfing horses' names  :cheers:

From my point of view the first season was difficult to enjoy 2-3 beers in, S2 is less complicated, even with the Red Angel   

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #55 on: October 08, 2019, 08:49:05 AM
Anyone see that cast members from The Next Generation and Voyager are getting together in a new show?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #56 on: October 22, 2019, 12:55:02 PM
My personal ranking of the various series intros: (for now!)

The Next Generation > Enterprise > Voyager > Discovery = The Original Series > Deep Space 9

To give an idea of scale, I think The Original Series intro is great.

I fully expect this to cause argument. :D
What's your ranking?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68