Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Chapter in my EDC

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
New Chapter in my EDC
on: November 01, 2017, 09:37:29 AM
Once you get used to having what you need on you, the search for the perfect EDC becomes real  :whistle:

I've gone through all the phases, it started out bushcraft/survivalist orientated......then you admit the ferro rod has no use in the office environment. It tried to live in my pocket along with a Skeletool.....simply to bulky and heavy.

Next was a more tactical & self defense period, during which time a CS Voyager XL was purchased.  :facepalm:

I've calmed down now, examined what I really use and have needed, looked at the limitations namely my right pocket, and this is what I've come up with:

Spyderco Salt 1 - perfect size and weight, perfect steel and construction for the application.  FFG plain edge would've been better, but SpyderEdge will do.

LM Squirt PS4 ordered - I often need pliers to fish something from somewhere my fat fingers don't fit, other tools are a bonus.

Light........I need light! Just yesterday I was digging around in a cabinet using my phone as a light source, and that just sucks.....
The limitation is all of the above needs to fit in my pocket along with my car keys, small, tough and USB rechargeable would be great.....

:think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: New Chapter in my EDC
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:01:54 AM
The journey is part of the fun in finding an EDC :D :like:

Sounds like a good office carry, GG :tu: As far as a light goes I carry an Olight IE3 EOS  :like: :like: but to meet your requirements you would need anther light that I have and do carrt some :tu: If the price isn't too high (it is cheaper than many other high end brands) then I will suggest the Olight H1R :salute: Very bright little light and USB chargeable :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 01:45:25 PM
I enjoyed following you progress and reading your "chapters" Gerhard   :salute:

it seems that I've also found the ideal size for an EDC folder in something like the Salt I, but I haven't left the XL Voyager away and it's still my secondary carry. One for the office, one for outside   :D

as for the light, I see it as an absolute basic of any EDC gear, especially in winter time or darker countries, and for some jobs it's a godsend.
Mine is very tiny, weighs nothing and costs $20 or less, it's the Lumintop AAA. I like the easy to find batteries and three modes, very basic.
let's tell us what you finally get to light your way!  :cheers:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 02:55:51 PM
I carry an Olight IE3 EOS  :like: :like:

That looks like the right size and price, next option costs 3x as much!  :facepalm:

No local resellers, but there is one is South Africa so maybe...... :gimme:

I have a Maglight Solitaire, fortunately didn't pay for it because it just doesn't do it for me....also waiting for a few suggestions and prices.

One for the office, one for outside   :D

I take the XL along on our Sunday morning hikes on the occasion where I hope somebody tries to mug us  >:D

as for the light, I see it as an absolute basic of any EDC gear,

That is a fact, and a fact that poked it's finger in my eye for the last time yesterday  :salute:

Just had a thought, will carry the Solitaire from tomorrow since I have it.....get a feeling for what works.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 03:03:39 PM
Is it an LED Solitaire GG?

I have had one for a few years and though I have nothing else to compare it with, it does its job ok. Good luck in your quest!  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 04:17:48 PM
For a little light I am partial to the Fenix LD02.  Its AAA and is tail click on/off.  The light is more than enough for everyday city dwellers 8/25/100 lumen.   I would strongly suggest getting a button light.  They can be had most anywhere cheap.  I have a Photon X but any of the cheap ones will do IMO.  Keep one on your keys and forget about it till you need just a bit of light. 

I like lights that aren't fussy about what cell they take.  I can highly suggest the Zebralight SC52L2 for this reason. This is by far my most favorite light.  The modes are programmable and IMO this light while $65 US is incredibly versatile.   I run Li rechargeable 14500s which help this light pack a bigger punch.  I can also run Eneloops or Alkaline.

Lastly, since you mention USB I'll offer up the UltraTak K18 v2017 AAA.  I don't have this light but the review are really favorable.  You can run a wide array of cells and it comes with a USB charge module.   I certainly think this light is worth a look.     

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 06:10:36 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 04:57:10 PM
+1 for the Olight i3E EOS, I carry one daily and it's a great little torch
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 04:58:15 PM by Kevin Davey »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 06:17:45 PM
+1 for the Olight i3E EOS, I carry one daily and it's a great little torch
+2 :D

I carry one as well. I ditched the keyring and just use the pocket clip. great little torch for the price!

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 09:33:00 AM
The Solitaire is old, incandescent bulb and not very bright.

I think there's a Fenix reseller in town will check those out as well.

The Solitaire and NiteIze Doohickey is riding in my left pocket with my wallet and that  seems to work

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 11:55:24 AM
:worthless:

:pok: :pok:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 03:39:03 AM
you dont necessarily need the charging port on the light, you can buy batteries from fenix, klarus and others that have the micro usb port built into the battery.

us Offline watchandknife

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 06:39:39 AM
The Fenix UC01 is an awesome light I love it! Super affordable only 12$ I got mine from blade hq.

45 lumens And rechargeable. UI super simple only two modes high and low.

What I like most about it is that it has a clip which makes taking it on and off to switch between edc or car keys easy.

Here is a picture of it next to my SAK tinker
Follow me on Instagram @    watchandknife

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:11:01 AM
The Solitaire is old, incandescent bulb and not very bright.

I think there's a Fenix reseller in town will check those out as well.

The Solitaire and NiteIze Doohickey is riding in my left pocket with my wallet and that  seems to work

The newer LED solitaire is so much brighter, it is freaky. 45 lumens I believe and the same size as the old one. The old incandescent one may be 1 or 2 lumens. I use my led solitaire  quite often and own several. If I need more light, I keep the 2xAAA LED maglite as well that puts out 111 lumens. Both are fantastic lights for the money.
I am biased though, as I really don't  care much for multi-mode "tactical" lights. Maglites also don't have any sharp edges, so they pocket well on keys, lanyard, or on their own.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:22:40 AM
Like the say, don't knock it before you try it.....

Not very bright indeed, but it's been in my pocket a few days with no hassles, and it would've worked where I needed light recently.

I'll posy some pics when the Squirt arrives, but since that will be before payday, I should stop looking at lights NOW :facepalm:

Thanks for the suggestions!  :salute:

Just FYI.........firmly in love with the Salt 1  :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 08:41:39 AM
Mines shrunk recently as home alot due to my Ankle,  :tu:
2017-11-06 15.24.41.jpg
* 2017-11-06 15.24.41.jpg (Filesize: 318.18 KB)

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 04:31:06 PM
I think personal EDC threads shouldn't have gone out of fashion as much as they have. I miss them. Nice to see at least some are keeping up the tradition.  :cheer
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 05:17:22 PM
I think personal EDC threads shouldn't have gone out of fashion as much as they have. I miss them. Nice to see at least some are keeping up the tradition.  :cheer

I agree, I love these type of threads and usually follow with interest and contrast with my EDC system     :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 06:13:58 PM

I've learnt from those threads, that's why this is costing me money!  :rofl:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 09:52:24 PM

I'll see your pristine E01 Zed... and raise you my E05 which is.... am... not so... pristine...
20171107_181827.jpg
* 20171107_181827.jpg (Filesize: 268.2 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 11:23:06 AM

I'll see your pristine E01 Zed... and raise you my E05 which is.... am... not so... pristine...

those scales are  :o

:like: :like:
My toys:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 11:26:27 AM

Miss Them!

:hatsoff:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 11:41:38 AM
+1
 :drool:

I've been thinking about making micarta scales for one of my Enlan's to see how that goes........that Spydie is motivating!  :tu:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 02:26:03 PM
Thanks Chaps! although i can't take the credit for making the scales - these were from Luke at Cuscadi!

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:26 AM
Squirt PS4 in black will be here in 5 working days........how did they know when I'd have money again?  :think:
 :facepalm:

There's a shop on my way home called LAS.......Light and Security.......been avoiding them because the little Solitaire has been somewhat of a revelation......  :like:

Truth is, having light has been somewhat of a.....wait for it......revelation  :facepalm:

:rofl:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 09:51:46 AM

This replaced the one i lost ,that wasn't so shiny, ok ill see your shinny spydie ,and raise you a very old Camco   ;) and a powerful Pete thrown in for good measure  :D
2017-11-14 09.07.55.jpg
* 2017-11-14 09.07.55.jpg (Filesize: 351.41 KB)

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #25 on: November 16, 2017, 02:51:44 AM

About a year ago, I graduated from the E05 to the E15. 450 lumens of goodness in turbo mode, and still fits on my keyring!
fenix-e150-pioneer-x.jpg
* fenix-e150-pioneer-x.jpg (Filesize: 313.79 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 08:24:59 AM
The journey is part of the fun in finding an EDC :D :like:

Sounds like a good office carry, GG :tu: As far as a light goes I carry an Olight IE3 EOS  :like: :like: but to meet your requirements you would need anther light that I have and do carrt some :tu: If the price isn't too high (it is cheaper than many other high end brands) then I will suggest the Olight H1R :salute: Very bright little light and USB chargeable :cheers:

I had monday to wednesday off, finally stopped at a local shop that I've been avoiding since they opened  :facepalm:

Lo and behold, they sell Olight  :gimme:

I now have a iE3 EOS in my pocket as well, xmas discount so the price felt like robbery  :viking:  Smaller, lighter, brighter  :tu:

Problem being now I've seen the S20R  :facepalm:

Shipment was delayed so still no Squirt PS4  :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 01:35:36 AM
I think that you will get great service from Olight :salute: :like:

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 27, 2017, 11:09:07 AM

Of course, there has to be a smurf-up  :twak:

When you order something from a very good friend that just did you a HUGE favour and the supplier messes up.......

The OCD FOS smurf living inside me pushing the buttons cannot make peace with a BLACK Salt 1, a BLACK OLight and a BLUE Squirt PS4  :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 27, 2017, 11:20:36 AM
The limitation is all of the above needs to fit in my pocket along with my car keys, small, tough and USB rechargeable would be great.....
Obviously, you need to change pants... :D
I for example had to change them, so my phone fits into the pocket :rofl:

Always interesting to learn the journey others take :salute:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%