Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm cool now.... sort of...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I'm cool now.... sort of...
on: November 02, 2017, 08:42:29 PM
I finally did it- I got a Leatherman Tread.  Sort of.   :facepalm:

I ordered this a month or so ago, and to be honest, I kind of forgot about it, as I do with many of my online purchases.  It's sort of the fun of being so scatterbrained- I am always surprised when something shows up!

Anyways, I obviously felt that the BO version was cooler and that's what I decided to get, and it's fitting that I got it in black, because this particular Tread has a dark secret.  But, more on that later.  I tried it on and immediately realized that I needed to lose a couple of links, as I expected since I have pretty thin wrists.

In the end I decided to get rid of Links 4 and 9.  I chose these because the cutter and scribe seemed largely useless to me, and 9 and 10 seemed to duplicate uselessness for me.  I'm not sure the hex doodads are going to be of much use, and the wrenches seem pretty hit or miss- if I have a 10mm wrench I'm going to find 9mm bolts and vice versa.   :facepalm:

Of course this leaves me with a lot of small, leftover pieces, so to reduce the chances of losing any of them I bolted them all back together.

It seems like an interesting tool, but I am not sure this is something that is actually going to get used for much, if anything, but I am going to wear it to see what happens.  If I am wrong, and it gets a lot of use and comes in handy, I will eat my words.  I've done it before and I'll do it again.

So what is the deep, dark secret?  This is not a Leatherman Tread.  It is a fake, sold for around $50 by one of the big Chinese online retail shops.   :facepalm:

Now don't go telling me that I suck, this forum sucks and I shouldn't be condoning people buying knockoffs and I shouldn't be buying knockoffs yadda yadda yadda.  I've heard it all before, and while I am not usually supportive of buying knockoffs, I am supportive of finding out if the knockoffs are any good or not.  And, when it comes to protecting someone else's intellectual property I am supportive, but I am also interested in what works and what doesn't.  I was also hoping to find the details that make this fake obvious, so that others don't fall for it either.  This is, above all an informational site, and not supported financially in the least by Leatherman, so if they have a problem with me buying this, tough noogies for them.

The scary thing is how well this one is made and put together.  None of the screws I took out were problematic to remove or put back in, none of the markings are off or cheaply done.  Even with my experience in picking out fakes, and without a real Tread to compare this one to, I can't actually see any telltale signs that this one isn't real, and I am hoping that some Tread owners will provide some photos of the same bits for comparison.

I have handled the Tread (the real one) and I do not recall it feeling any different than this one does.

The only imperfection I have found in this one is a slight discoloration inside the cutouts on the sides of a couple of links.

And, with the real Tread running at 4-5 times what this one cost, I have to wonder why anyone would go with the original over this one, but time will tell whether it will hold up like the real one or not.

So far, without any mileage on it, I have to say that I am more impressed with this $50 knockoff than I think I would be with the $200+ original version.  But, we will see how it holds up as it gets subjected to my daily use and abuse.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: I'm cool now.... sort of...
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 08:53:33 PM
from the pics I wouldn't have even thought that it could be a knockoff
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:01:39 PM
Indeed... so Grant, how sure are you this is a knockoff? Or is it the real thing that somehow fell off the back of a truck??

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:06:02 PM
I bought it from a well known Chinese retailer for $50.  If it's not a knockoff then I want to know how to contact their suppliers because I would buy Leatherman products by the truckload to resell.

Dealer cost on the Tread is significantly higher than what I paid for this one, so between cost and where I got it from I have to believe that it wasn't painstakingly crafted in Oregon.

The thing is, with the box, the instructions etc..... everything appears so authentic that some unscrupulous person could buy these by the case and unload them for $175 or so on eBay and people would think it was real.  I just wish I was unscrupulous like that, but us nice guys finish last....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:39 PM
I've red reports here of people experiencing rust and corrosion on their Tread after just a few months.

So if this one does that too, it'll appear even more genuine :rofl:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 11:48:02 PM
I'll post up pictures of my BO Tread for comparison.  That one looks really good. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 12:37:40 AM
I've red reports here of people experiencing rust and corrosion on their Tread after just a few months.

So if this one does that too, it'll appear even more genuine :rofl:
I sorta do the same thing with Vics. But instead of rust, I wait for something to bust on them. Usually the scissor springs, can opener tip pr plier jaws.  :rofl:
Joking aside, you could have fooled me. I thought it was real. But then I never have handled a tread before.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:49:08 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 12:57:05 AM
I wore my tread yesterday but it's not on me right now. All I can tell from photos is some machining might be like rough compared to the original. I'll check when I get home and let you know.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 01:47:20 AM
Not to cast aspersions, however, when a "knockoff" of this quality and detail presents itself, I look back to my manufacturing background, limited though it was.

I fear that a higher percentage of this product is being fabricated overseas than the Brand would have us believe

While I have no original with which to compare, the likelihood that this Chinese connection is actually an OEM manufacturer who is allowing product out the back door seems suspiciously high to me. That explains the quality, detail, and ability to sell for less than wholesale.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 02:05:20 AM
A knockoff is a rough and similar but different, immitation of something. Like your cheap and cheerful Chevy Avalanche non-PST. We know it isn't the real deal, and they don't pretend to be. But they offer a similar widget that does about the same thing for less money. Think Pop-Tarts vs grocery store brand fruit-filled toaster pastries.

What you have here, is a counterfeit.

Totally different animal. It should be traced back, in my opinion. If we think about it and work this backwards, this is likely a partner of Leatherman who is breaking a contract. Additionally, had any of us purchased this at the normal price and under the auspices of this being genuine, it seems we may not have known any better and could have been taken for a ride

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 02:15:25 AM
In your sixth photo, see the area around the wording "1/4 square" , how the material is crazed, or scarred. This may have been a QC reject for cosmetic reasons, and they sent it out the back.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: November 03, 2017, 02:25:43 AM
 :o That sure looks very close to me :ahhh I did have a SS Tread in possesion for a while but traded it off as it really wasn't me :D I wished I had taken more pics of it though :facepalm: I would like to see this side by side with a genuine Tread though :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 02:38:47 AM
I wonder if Leatherman could tell the difference if you found "an issue" with it and sent it 'back' to them (and you didn't tick the "Sentimental" box)...  :think:  >:D

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 04:04:35 AM
Checking my Tread tonight I see there are differences although slight the may be. Most of its manufacturing marks, things not being as crisp or finished to the the level it's supposed to be. It's a good copy for sure; the Tread is made from 17-6 stainless and we don't know what this one is made from. I wonder what the weight on yours is with all the links versus a legit copy. One way they tell folks to know if yours is the real deal or a copy is the one from Leatherman has one ball bearing for retention but the fake one has 2 of them.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 08:40:15 AM
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

Maybe I'm just not familiar with LM Quality, but I immediately thought FAKE!

I mean looking at the cap lifter, on the back side it is un-even and the R2 stamp on the left is really badly done. On the front where the writing is, it looks very rough and above the E from Square it looks like its damaged. The linking bridges too look not as smooth as I would want them to be.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 08:42:02 AM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 08:43:53 AM
A knockoff is a rough and similar but different, immitation of something. Like your cheap and cheerful Chevy Avalanche non-PST. We know it isn't the real deal, and they don't pretend to be. But they offer a similar widget that does about the same thing for less money. Think Pop-Tarts vs grocery store brand fruit-filled toaster pastries.

Totally different animal. It should be traced back, in my opinion. If we think about it and work this backwards, this is likely a partner of Leatherman who is breaking a contract. Additionally, had any of us purchased this at the normal price and under the auspices of this being genuine, it seems we may not have known any better and could have been taken for a ride
Yep, it is. I think this should be reported
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:05 AM
So are treads made in china  :think: there very expensive if thats the case,i dont wear bracelets etc ,just a watch and wedding ring, in my job your not aloud to wear even a watch due to hygiene,  personaly I find these things a bit of a gimmick and not very funtional in some situations ,to me it's a back up thing and a bulky one at that , I handled one in a shop and instantly disliked it ,but each to your own  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 11:59:39 AM

I absolutely will report it to Leatherman, however there's not much they can do about these kinds of things.  The thing you have to remember is that US Patents don't apply in China, and any attempts to sue will be costly and result in absolutely nothing happening.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 12:01:17 PM
In your sixth photo, see the area around the wording "1/4 square" , how the material is crazed, or scarred. This may have been a QC reject for cosmetic reasons, and they sent it out the back.

And there's a glob of black paint on the bottle opener in the picture above it.  I have gotten Leatherman models with worse QC than that.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 12:02:37 PM
Checking my Tread tonight I see there are differences although slight the may be. Most of its manufacturing marks, things not being as crisp or finished to the the level it's supposed to be. It's a good copy for sure; the Tread is made from 17-6 stainless and we don't know what this one is made from. I wonder what the weight on yours is with all the links versus a legit copy. One way they tell folks to know if yours is the real deal or a copy is the one from Leatherman has one ball bearing for retention but the fake one has 2 of them.

So the fake is better?  I would think two retention balls would be more secure than one.  :D

I'll happily weigh this thing with all of the links if you will do the same and we can compare.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 12:12:52 PM
Thats a damn good copy. For that money I'd get one. If the genuine tread was cheaper I'd have one, but it's too expensive.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 12:55:16 PM

So the fake is better?  I would think two retention balls would be more secure than one.  :D

I'll happily weigh this thing with all of the links if you will do the same and we can compare.

Def
Sounds like a plan!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 01:30:49 PM
I've been wondering if the BO was such a good idea- perhaps any flaws in this one would have been a lot more obvious if I'd gotten the standard one instead?  You can hide a lot of flaws with black paint....

Def

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 01:54:34 PM
whoa looks so real...it's obvious the Chinese are getting better at it   :o
a few days ago, we almost burn Butch for being an heretic and buying a fake Chinese made SAK, but now we congratulate Grant for letting us know how dangerously close the clones are getting to the real thing and thank him for providing us with the key features and differences to spot a clone Tread

curios how the views on the knockoff subject change  :rofl:

PS: I forgot, that now the (in)famous SPAMCORP that starts by Gear... is selling these in non.BO (stainless) for $29.90 in a limited deal, you need a code though (which I won't post here unless it is agreed that it is fair for the community's interest, and harms nobody here)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:13:48 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 03:24:18 PM
I don't think I would post the code openly, but I am sure everyone here knows how to send you a PM if they are interested.

Oh, and I have found one thing that I don't like about this unit, which would be the same with a real Tread- I have to take it off to work at my computer, otherwise it will gouge the living crap out of my laptop.   :facepalm:

This is more than just a personal pet peeve- if you have to take it off when you type, you may not remember to put it back on again when you get up... which means regardless of how useful the tool may or may not be, you aren't likely to have it when you need it, and that is a catastrophic fail for a tool IMHO.

Def

england Offline Kev D

Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 04:06:35 PM
I don't think I would post the code openly, but I am sure everyone here knows how to send you a PM if they are interested.

Oh, and I have found one thing that I don't like about this unit, which would be the same with a real Tread- I have to take it off to work at my computer, otherwise it will gouge the living crap out of my laptop.   :facepalm:

This is more than just a personal pet peeve- if you have to take it off when you type, you may not remember to put it back on again when you get up... which means regardless of how useful the tool may or may not be, you aren't likely to have it when you need it, and that is a catastrophic fail for a tool IMHO.

Def

Put the extra links back in and wear it as an anklet .

Though with how much metal you have holing your feet on nowadays you may jangle a bit if you do

:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 05:05:57 PM
Maybe I got a fake  :think:

Sorry about the crappy pictures.  I really am the worst photographer.   :facepalm:
IMG_3793.JPG
* IMG_3793.JPG (Filesize: 97.24 KB)
IMG_3794.JPG
* IMG_3794.JPG (Filesize: 100.85 KB)
IMG_3795.JPG
* IMG_3795.JPG (Filesize: 85.36 KB)
IMG_3796.JPG
* IMG_3796.JPG (Filesize: 52 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 05:12:07 PM
Maybe I got a fake  :think:

Sorry about the crappy pictures.  I really am the worst photographer.   :facepalm:

Looks real to me Aloha  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 05:21:23 PM
I have not wore it much after the initial test period.  Its really a novelty IMO.  Neat idea but we have access to pocket tools or many of us carry pocket tools for that matter.  I find fiddly tools not to my liking.  If I have to fuss too much to get a job done then I'm not included to carry that tool.  Its certainly a neat idea.   I know I said that.  I would like to see a confirmed real Tread and fake side by side now. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 05:55:28 PM
I'd be curious to know how well this holds up to actual nuts and bolts...
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD