Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm cool now.... sort of...

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: I'm cool now.... sort of...
Reply #120 on: March 23, 2018, 02:55:45 PM
He (or she) is selling a lot more than one or two, and many at real Tread full price.

Methinks it is time I started pushing more info out there about fake Treads. 

Def
If I didn't own a few treads I would think these were real by the photos. You can see the rough spots in the clasp and stuff and Leatherman versions are clean and crisp. I'm floored by how good these fakes are.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #121 on: March 23, 2018, 03:41:48 PM
Honestly, given the rub marks and un-coated bits on the real Tread, I would be inclined to think IT was the fake if I didn't know better.  The finish on the fake is still in better shape after months of wear than the real one was straight out of the box.   :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #122 on: March 23, 2018, 03:55:45 PM
Thanks Boss for such a detailed comparison.  For the casual buyer looking for a deal a fake Tread could easily convince them its the real deal. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #123 on: March 23, 2018, 04:06:04 PM
Just a thought.  We talked about the individual links having shoulders/collars.  The fake didn't have them while what appeared to be early iterations of real Treads didn't either.  Some "newer" Treads have them.  Does your real Tread have them?  I know this is not part of being able to identify a real vs fake, I am just curios.  Also last I recall and I very well may have missed it, did you get any info from Leatherman regarding those shoulders/collars? 
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #124 on: March 23, 2018, 04:49:41 PM
Leatherman did indicate that they used to have the barrels, but that they don't now.  They could not give me a timeframe on when it was done, nor any info on why, although I assume production costs played a large part in it.

Neither of my Treads, real or fake, have the barrels, only the preproduction link I got from them prior to launch.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #125 on: March 24, 2018, 05:57:52 AM
Thank you for the follow up.  I think from your comparison its certainly a lot easier to spot a fake.  We have a few things to look for and if still in doubt we can ask more pointed questions.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #126 on: March 25, 2018, 12:36:24 AM
No problem.  I am seriously intrigued by the Tread now and I have my eye on both a real one in stainless, but tragically also another fake in stainless for an accurate comparison.   :facepalm:

And I still need to find an early model with the barrels.  I think I have a serious problem.

Def

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #127 on: March 25, 2018, 04:35:44 AM
Can't be arsed looking back over the pages so I'll ask.
Have you used it yet?
Like a legit saved the day because you wore a Tread type event.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #128 on: March 25, 2018, 09:32:21 AM
Have you used it yet?
I followed up here and haven't seen any reports on that :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #129 on: March 25, 2018, 10:14:37 AM
Would you wear one to work Mechnic?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #130 on: March 25, 2018, 01:17:37 PM
Have you used it yet?

Honestly?

Not at all.  And, the one time I actually tried to use the fake, I ended up doing the job with a SOG SwitchPlier 2.0.  The fake failed because of concept, not because it was a fake.

Imagine using a screwdriver bit with a driver handle made of chain.  It provides a small amount of ability to hold and twist, but that small mechanical advantage is overshadowed by the fact that the handle requires constant support and the small screwdriver bit needs to have constant pressure to stay in contact with the screw.  You'd be better off just using the bit by itself, and I think the Tread might benefit from having the links attached with some kind of quick release fastener so that the link could be popped out, used by itself without the frustration of the rest of the bracelet, then put back when done.

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #131 on: March 25, 2018, 01:21:26 PM
How about a bracelet that was just used as a way of carrying Leatherman bits?  :think:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #132 on: March 25, 2018, 01:26:10 PM
Or one that carries standard bit to be useful with virtually every other tool on the planet?

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #133 on: March 25, 2018, 01:31:55 PM
Yeah or that.
To be carried in conjunction with a multitool, which wouldn't fulfill the carry anywhere-ness of the Tread but would perhaps cover the novelty aspect.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #134 on: March 25, 2018, 01:40:22 PM
Would you wear one to work Mechnic?
I would, yes.

Most screws I encounter aren't dead tight and rather small.

However, I can not bring myself in paying retail price over here (usualy in store around $220) and I don't feel confident in buying second hand since this thread...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #135 on: March 25, 2018, 02:41:46 PM
I thought it would be good as a wrench because you could theoretically have a handle on both sides of the wrench.  You know, if you could disengage it at some point to stretch it out, but you can't.

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #136 on: March 25, 2018, 02:59:14 PM
No problem.  I am seriously intrigued by the Tread now and I have my eye on both a real one in stainless, but tragically also another fake in stainless for an accurate comparison.   :facepalm:

And I still need to find an early model with the barrels.  I think I have a serious problem.

Def
Maybe you can talk me out of mine.....

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #137 on: March 25, 2018, 03:00:50 PM

Def
Maybe you can talk me out of mine.....

I'm game.  What are you looking for?

Def

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #138 on: March 25, 2018, 03:14:22 PM
I had a quick look at a couple of higher priced models, and I'm not sure I would believe them.  For example:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-LEATHERMAN-TREAD-Black-Stainless-Steel-Bracelet-Multi-Tool/202103732470?hash=item2f0e5238f6:g:e-QAAOSwvTpZ~eoc

This one shows what appears to be real Treads in the photos, but as the model is the same one as above, and is obviously a stock photo I would be concerned as to whether it was a legitimate product or not.

However, the ball detents that you see are consistent with real Treads, and you can clearly see the different colored carbide insert on the otherwise black Tread.  My guess would be (especially since the seller is in China) that this would be fakes at (almost) real pricing, which is, in my opinion much worse than fakes at fake prices.

Def

Almost anything name brand items with free shipping from China, Hongkong... is guaranteed counterfeit. Ask yourself questions:
- Why the seller has so many?
- Why sell for cheaper than average price on eBay to American buyers, when retail price in their countries is two times as much?
- Why shipping costs very little to free, when it is not cheap to ship internationally, and eBay/ Paypal take even bigger cuts for international trades?

To me, most people buying these knowingly know they are buying fakes, and eBay is turning a blind eye on these sales.

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #139 on: March 25, 2018, 03:25:51 PM
Honestly, given the rub marks and un-coated bits on the real Tread, I would be inclined to think IT was the fake if I didn't know better.  The finish on the fake is still in better shape after months of wear than the real one was straight out of the box.   :facepalm:

Def

I have a metric Tread, bought "new without box" from a seller I bought I few stuffs from before. It was last year, I have not used it yet. I just looked at it again a moment ago. The foam insert is dense (checked), the scribe bit is uncoated (checked), the ball bearing detent is one sided (checked), the included pamphlet is small (checked). I think I got a real deal. There is a spot on one of the link, where the DLC coating is missing. So, in all, quality control in the coating dept at Leatherman is not the greatest, whereas the counterfeiters try to make the fakes as close to the real things as possible, hence potentially better coating. Ironic, isn't it? 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #140 on: March 26, 2018, 03:04:56 AM
That was largely what I thought too!

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #141 on: March 26, 2018, 03:08:47 AM
The tread still confuses me.  If I couldnt have a bladed sak or my MT I would probably carry a multibit screwdriver and a knipex plierwrench.  You can do alot with those and it's bladeless.  I don't know how to wear that as man jewelery though.  I hate jewelery.  I don't wear my wedding ring either as I've seen pics of degloved fingers.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:11:29 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #142 on: March 26, 2018, 08:43:22 AM
The only times I have used mine have been for easily accessible Allen screws like this. I felt this chair was a bit wonky and didn’t have to walk to the garage to get Hex driver to tighten.
That’s why I would not take the hex bit links off mine.

And I wear it to impress friends and colleagues ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #143 on: March 26, 2018, 08:51:00 AM
And there is another link I can’t take off; some old dude attacked it with an electric scribe.
I have also used the 6mm “link 12” to hold the one end of a bolt while I used a spanner to remove the nut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #144 on: March 26, 2018, 09:51:59 AM
The tread still confuses me.  If I couldnt have a bladed sak or my MT I would probably carry a multibit screwdriver and a knipex plierwrench.  You can do alot with those and it's bladeless.  I don't know how to wear that as man jewelery though.  I hate jewelery.  I don't wear my wedding ring either as I've seen pics of degloved fingers.
Why is it when I learn about a scary word, someone uses it the next day? :dwts:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #145 on: March 26, 2018, 11:06:45 AM
Unbesmirched.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #146 on: March 26, 2018, 11:18:57 AM
Unbesmirched.
Whom? (or what?)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #147 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:26 AM
It's your new word for the day. Look out for it tomorrow....  :whistle:

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #148 on: March 28, 2018, 01:46:45 PM
Check this listing out https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHERMAN-TREAD-Stainless-Steel-Multi-Tool-Bracelet-Sliver-or-Black-Gift/323175108157

Besides the price, I would call this fake just for the Chinese-like user name, other junks he/ she is selling, grammatical error "sliver", and the disgusting picture of untrimmed finger nails (yuck!). That packaging is getting really close to the real thing.

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #149 on: March 28, 2018, 02:10:22 PM

I am not googling that but I think I know what it means. That is exactly why I would never wear a ring!  :ahhh
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD