Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I'm cool now.... sort of...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: I'm cool now.... sort of...
Reply #180 on: April 08, 2018, 07:43:21 PM
You lot need more hair :)  - stop shaving you arms  :)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #181 on: April 08, 2018, 08:17:43 PM
I actually used the Tread, not once but TWICE today, believe it or not.

I used the bottle opener to pop the top off a lime soda for Megan and is used the strap cutter to free a new bike pump from the zip ties holding it in the package.

It actually performed both tasks quite well, although when I was shifting from one zip tie to another I had to maintain a firm grip on it as holding the bracelet is like holding a chain and it threatens to slip out of your hand if you vary your grip even slightly. 

If you don't drop it, you still may have to re-orient it in your hand to get the tool back that you were just using.

I had exactly the same problem with the fake Tread, the one time it got used.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #182 on: April 08, 2018, 08:56:54 PM
I used to wear a minichamp in that dog tag bead style chain around my neck.  It was quite handy and I never nlknew it was there.  It has a blade though so I know that's a concealed weapon!

I guess the tread name comes from It looking like army tank tread?

Looking forward to my 6 treads I'm wearing saved the day stories. And it only counts a use if your could not have somved it with anything else on you like a coin or fingers etc.   :D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:58:16 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline chrono

• No Life Club
  • Find me if you can...
Reply #183 on: April 09, 2018, 02:08:53 AM
For me, the Tread is born to be a fancy watch band. Once you have a watch face on it, it kind of disappears. When I wear a fancy-looking Seiko to work, people comment about it (as in, the watch does not fit a machine shop environment). No one says anything about my Casio on the Tread.

Offline nexus_HD

• New User
Reply #184 on: August 03, 2018, 06:56:08 PM
Thanks for this post and all of the responses.  I got a 'Tread' as part of a giveaway about two months ago.  I'm not going to say what/who because I believe they thought it was a legit item, as did I.  About a week ago, the clasp stopped working so I reached out to Leatherman about getting a replacement.  Leatherman doesn't do replacement clasps and now I know why.  They wanted me to send it in for repair/replace.  I googled around to see if this was a common issue before I sent it off and lo and behold I found this thread. I've attached pictures to show how shoddy the clasp is.

All of that said, it's a neat looking bracelet and I've gotten questions/compliments on it, but I haven't used it at all thus far.  After seeing how expensive a real tread is, there is no way I'd spend that much on it, but I don't think I'd spend $50 on a knockoff either.  Thanks again!
tread1.jpg
* tread1.jpg (Filesize: 43.27 KB)
tread2.jpg
* tread2.jpg (Filesize: 61.21 KB)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #185 on: August 03, 2018, 08:36:04 PM
Welcome to the forum Nexus!

Great to hear that you found your way here when looking for info and thanks for adding your pics :cheers:

Feel free to stick around. We're a friendly bunch ;)

se Offline RF52

Reply #186 on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:22 PM
That is how I found my way here last year and I stayed because of all the good people here Best place on the interwebs

Sent fra min FRD-L09 via Tapatalk

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #187 on: August 05, 2018, 10:46:40 AM
Miss the Tread I had. Found out that it fit a lot of the hex bolts on the recumbent trike I have been riding. But there is no way I could afford one at this rate, and I work two jobs just to stay alive in survival mode. Carried it all the way to Atlanta, GA through many airports when training for the CDC/Census Bureau. It passed right through Smog Angeles, Denver, and Atlanta airports. Did not have to take it off even once, and none inspected it. The airport security said to keep my jewelry on when going through the body scanners.

The guy I gave it to never won a single Leatherman tool from the time they started on Facebook, and he was on of their biggest supporters. I won it on Father's Day a few years back, and I do miss it. However I'd buy a knock-off for $50 but would prefer that knock-off company left of the Leatherman logo as that would bug me.

For what I would use it for I cannot justify the cost of a Leatherman Tread for a hex wrench set, Mako, and a few smaller wrenches. I still need larger wrenches that the Tread could not handle, but it would reduce some weight issues. Leatherman ought to make a true cyclist's multitool, but I guess some recumbent trike manufacturer would have to hook up with Leatherman to give some incentive in the manufacturing of such.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #188 on: August 05, 2018, 10:55:47 AM
Some issues I remember from the Leatherman Tread:
 ● Clasp hinge used a hollow pin. This warped a lot in use.
 ● The 1/4" socket adapter, which also locked the bracelet was wonky. Would of been better if the 1/4" socket adapter had locking bearing on both sides. When I was working with a farmer, the guy would throw a cantaloupe my way and on catching it the impact jarred the locking mechanism unlocked.

Was able to slide a skinny rectangular magnet inside one of the links, but found it not to be of much use other than sticking a hex bit or nail on the magnet and using it as a sun dial.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:44:03 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #189 on: November 14, 2018, 01:38:33 PM
Yay, Science!

I woke up this morning to an interesting email:

Hi !

I would personally like to thank you for writing this review.

http://www.multitool.org/news/how-to-tell-a-fake-tread-from-a-real-leatherman

I would be really grateful if you could answer a question of mine. I
have just received a fake leatherman Tread

it happens that the links are strongly attracted by magnets which
brings me to suspicion about whether it is actually stainless steel or
not. This does not apply for the screws and brackets which are not
attracted by magnets. Would you please share with me the behaviour of
you versions of Tread regarding magnets? Is there any way that it
could actually be stainless steel?

Thanks in advance,

John

I hadn't considered the magnetic attraction to be significant when I was going through my initial testing, as the term "stainless steel" applies to any steel with a minimum of 10% chromium.  Beyond that, the composition is anyone's guess, and so stainless steels could be very attracted to magnets, or not at all, depending on the percentage of iron in the mix.  Still, the idea of this test is not to determine the level of magnetic attraction, it is to determine any differences between the fake and real Treads.

I started off by using a stack of rare earth magnets that I use for all manner of magnetic testing.  They are extremely powerful, and I once tested the screws in my ankles with them, not thinking it through and realizing how painful that test would be if it was successful.  Fortunately, as it turns out, the screws and plates in my ankles are non-ferrous, so I am guessing they are titanium.  If there had been even a small amount of iron in them, with magnets this powerful you likely would have heard my scream, regardless of what part of the planet you are on.   :facepalm:

The magnets seemed to attract all three Treads (one fake in BO, one real in BO and one real polished stainless) with equal force- at least to my "feel" which admittedly is hardly scientific.  Inconclusive, at least as far as the links go.

I then removed a screw from a real Tread and the fake Tread.  As we know from above, the fake Tread screws are different, at least in appearance from the real ones, so would there be a difference in magnetic attraction, indicating a difference in iron content?

It turns out that yes, there was a difference.  The real Tread screws launched themselves from several inches away and stuck to the magnets on impact with no additional movement, indicating a high level of magnetic attraction.  The fake tread screws were still attracted to the magnets, but to a lesser degree, and rolled around a bit on the surface of the magnet, indicating a lower attractiveness in relation to their mass.

This makes sense, as the fake Treads are likely sourcing screws from somewhere else to minimize costs.  These could be screws destined for electronic use, where magnetic attraction is a bad thing, or they could be intended for use in sealing something that is intended for use in a product where corrosion resistance is important, and therefore less iron was used for that reason.  When producing a knockoff, it's typical to use something that already exists rather than going to the time/effort of manufacturing all the components from scratch.

On the other hand, it makes sense for Leatherman to manufacture their own screws in house, using the same source steel used in the Tread production itself, rather than having multiple types of steel.

This was a fascinating experiment to perform when I got up this morning and I would like to thank John publicly for bringing it to my attention.

The bottom line is, if the screws are highly attractive to magnets, it might be a real Leatherman.  If they are "only sort of" attracted to magnets, it is probably a fake.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #190 on: November 14, 2018, 02:11:00 PM
 :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #191 on: November 18, 2018, 06:03:31 PM
Good info def, thanks  :salute:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #192 on: November 18, 2018, 10:09:41 PM
Do they include the tread polish with purchase now? 

Sorry couldnt resist.  I still think these are just bizarre.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #193 on: May 09, 2019, 05:42:33 PM

Reply #194 on: October 15, 2019, 10:27:33 AM
  As per magnets. Broke this one off to fit inside the link until the ones I had ordered arrived.

This Tread came from Leatherman. Now I did notice there are three Leatherman Tread links than have open ended links. The cavities inside are enough to fit a Leatherman flat bit inside with slight wiggle room. Unsure if Leatherman let this open for people to magnetize their bits, or if there was going to be magnetized bits offered but never came to pass.

Leatherman does not do things like this unless there is a reason, otherwise all the links would have been closed off on the ends. Seems Leatherman had decided to let some Tread owners find a way to make consistent strong magnets from the flat bits to store in the Tread links, if they so wanted.
IMG_3611.JPG
* IMG_3611.JPG (Filesize: 83.9 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline Rapidray

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #195 on: October 15, 2019, 03:17:57 PM
Sounds posable.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86