Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Oil?????????

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Oil?????????
on: November 02, 2017, 09:11:12 PM
Ok, the ultimate knife & gun question. What is the best oil to use on my............type SAK here......
Is the Vic oil really any better than 3n1?...   Enquiring minds say give it up.. :multi:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Oil?????????
Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:18:12 PM
Uncle Def's special mineral oil is by far the best Butch, but that's for fancy folks. Us everyday folk use 3 in 1 and our SAK's are grateful for it.

Cause some more uproar by using Uncle Def's on your Chinese clone  :pok:  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:30 PM
I'm no expert, but I'd guess 3-in-1 oil is perfect.

I use Ballistol on my SAKs because Ballistol is, as far as I'm aware, non-toxic. So I don't worry if I clean & oil my SAK and then go use it to cut a doughnut in half.

Ballistol

Did some mention doughnuts....?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 09:21:25 PM
Thanks, now I want a doughnut too.  :rant:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:23:20 PM
This is a knife forum why are we talking about doughnuts? And there's no way I'm talking about a jelly filled doughnut.  :-\

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:25:40 PM
I use mineral oil... It's about 1/100th the price of the Vic oil
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:27:09 PM
I don´t use oil. I´m using WD40 to flush out the dirt, then water and soap to rinse out the WD40. I do this once a week. Blades are cleansed every evening. A clean SAK doesn´t need oil.

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 09:27:49 PM
Ok, the ultimate knife & gun question. What is the best oil to use on my............type SAK here......
Is the Vic oil really any better than 3n1?...   Enquiring minds say give it up.. :multi:

Happy 50th anniversary, Butch!

From a lubrication standpoint, many oils will do the job.  I stick with Victorinox oils because it is food friendly (it's what you want to use if the knife is used for food preparation such as cutting up an apple or peeling an orange) and doesn't make a mess like 3-in-1 can tend to do.

:cheers:

Jim

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 09:29:45 PM
Doughnuts are a universal 'glue' that binds us all together - they have just as much right to be on this forum as multitools. I'm thinking of a custard filled or classic ring doughnut.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 09:32:46 PM
I don´t use oil. I´m using WD40 to flush out the dirt, then water and soap to rinse out the WD40. I do this once a week. Blades are cleansed every evening. A clean SAK doesn´t need oil.

That's sort of funny. WD-40 was developed to clean rockets and displace any residual water. The "WD" in WD-40 stands for 'water displacement'.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 09:34:01 PM
I like the density of a cake doughnut; you know, the old fashioned kind with cinnamon sugar. So let's not talk about them anymore.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:34:33 PM
Doughnuts are a universal 'glue' that binds us all together - they have just as much right to be on this forum as multitools. I'm thinking of a custard filled or classic ring doughnut.

Sounds great, but I just had me four blueberry muffins .

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 09:35:46 PM

That's sort of funny. WD-40 was developed to clean rockets and displace any residual water. The "WD" in WD-40 stands for 'water displacement'.

Must be the soap then. Cool fact!  8)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 09:35:55 PM
The Vic oil is really dense and therefore a little drop goes a long way.
I usualy go for 3-in-1 but for my special or precious SAKs, I use Vic oil.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 09:40:14 PM
I prefer the vic oil. Don't care about the price since you only need a teeny tiny amount of oil. I probably have already oiled 100 SAKs, maybe even many more, and the small bottle is still more than half full  :salute:
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:33 PM
Somehow reading the answers to my question about lubes, I have gotted a hankering for a pile of chocolate eclaires.................. :think:.............this forum is a strange place. And there isn't even a Dunkin Doughnut here...... . :duel:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 09:55:49 PM
Somehow reading the answers to my question about lubes, I have gotted a hankering for a pile of chocolate eclaires.................. :think:.............this forum is a strange place. And there isn't even a Dunkin Doughnut here...... . :duel:
We WERE all mentally stable untill you kicked in the door with your Chinachamp and caused a fuzz :whistle:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 09:57:36 PM
Been using 3in1 for over a decade. Recently started using their new 3-in-1  Silicone based drying version they have out. Dries into a fine film. Washes well too if need be.
Tastes great with steak and doughnuts.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:47 PM

You're not wrong there, they're a terrific source of energy and very nutritious - a super-super food. I mean, that's why all of Scotland's top athletes (myself included) have a strict diet of 50/50 ring doughnuts and special brew... the figures speak for themselves!

Here's a diagram I nicked off a well known dirty tabloid... so you know it's true...

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 10:04:47 PM
... but, yeah, 3-in-1 is what i use.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 10:06:17 PM

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 10:11:49 PM
We WERE all mentally stable untill you kicked in the door with your Chinachamp and caused a fuzz :whistle:

Why you tink I be askin'........gotta have the best preservatives to protect thet $7.99 investaminteration.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 10:20:57 PM
I use Nano-oil on knives, Balistol on mutlis and firearms and napier on air rifles
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 10:23:48 PM

Why you tink I be askin'........gotta have the best preservatives to protect thet $7.99 investaminteration.
In that case...
Soak it in 3in1 before it rusts itself into another dimension because you held it to long. :whistle:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 10:26:09 PM
I use RemOil, micro teflon in a light machine oil. Figure if its works for guns it ought to work for knives. Not food safe, but I seldom use my SAK for food prep.

Use WD-40 to clean gunk off the blades.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:27:10 PM by ColoSwiss »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69