Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Don't buy this machete!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Don't buy this machete!
Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 05:57:11 PM
Seems SOG/Gerber are not the only one. It also appears that the grind makes a huge difference.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: November 10, 2017, 02:33:52 AM
Thanks guys :salute: I may try this one out this weekend clearing brush. I'll let you know how it does ( hopefully better than the last one! :D)
Send In the spartans

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:35 AM
be careful, wear eye protection just in case
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 02:15:02 PM
Seems SOG/Gerber are not the only one. It also appears that the grind makes a huge difference.

Yes it does, but not in this case, stupid assumption on his part.

I detest hollow grinds, but lay the blame where it's due.

Don't know if you saw the videos, how many did he break?  no matter what happens to the edge, but if you break the spine of a 1070 blade that easily there's serious heat treating issues......like it wasn't tempered at all.....

TBH, he just gets up my nose because he's the smurf-hot knife designers that feels it's okay to plead ignorance when it suits him  :cheers:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 03:07:54 PM

Don't know if you saw the videos, how many did he break?  no matter what happens to the edge, but if you break the spine of a 1070 blade that easily there's serious heat treating issues......like it wasn't tempered at all.....

TBH, he just gets up my nose because he's the smurf-hot knife designers that feels it's okay to plead ignorance when it suits him  :cheers:

I did a little more watching and he's done a follow up video where he acknowledges the woeful heat temper on the knives as being the actual issue.  It seems they were massively over cooked.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 05:58:35 PM

I did a little more watching and he's done a follow up video where he acknowledges the woeful heat temper on the knives as being the actual issue.  It seems they were massively over cooked.
I didn't watch that many of his videos, he is not my cup of tea. Thanks for the info
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 07:52:07 PM

It seems to be a major issue with many of these new knives. They just don't take the extra step in quality anymore
Send In the spartans

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 01:43:53 PM
Unfortunately, my Gerber Gator Jr machete did the same thing, but that was after months of heavy use. I noticed that the edge had folded over in a single spot, just a little. A few more heavy strikes and it was game over, the damage was irreversible. It's a shame, because up until that point it had actually performed quite well. So I would say that it is not worth the price at all. Gerber now make other, much thicker machetes that should work better. But they're also going to be a lot heavier, which isn't good if all you want to do is clear some brush. If you really need something that can clear brush, delimb trees and chop wood all day long without breaking, look into the Kershaw Camp series. I have the Kershaw Camp 10 and it's a beast. And it's pretty cheap too!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #38 on: November 13, 2017, 12:01:34 AM
  If you really need something that can clear brush, delimb trees and chop wood all day long without breaking, look into the Kershaw Camp series. I have the Kershaw Camp 10 and it's a beast. And it's pretty cheap too!

I had the Camp 14 and was very pleased with it. So much that I gave it to someone who needed it more than me and was desperate after trying too many crappy built, pot metal machetes. He's approved of it and happily uses it in his property as of today.    :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%