Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Just got a Charge TTI - A couple questions

CK · 11 · 837

us Offline CK

Just got a Charge TTI - A couple questions
on: November 11, 2017, 04:28:12 PM
Hi all - Long time reader, just made an account as I have some questions on the Charge TTI I just got (and I don't have access to another one to compare it to).  I'm just trying to determine if the following observations are normal, or if I may have gotten a dud.  Thanks in advance for taking the time!
  • Looking at the hinges for each external tool from the top down, I can see the copper spacers in each except for the wood saw.  The wood saw is noticeably less smooth to open compared to the implements that do have that spacer.
  • When closing the tool, the pliers appear to be slightly rubbing on the can opener (quick edit: they are also rubbing on the flathead) - it closes fully, but you can feel it catching and can see the wear on the plier head
The tool was pretty tight to open the pliers, and through opening/closing repeatedly last night to try and break them in I felt something 'give'.  The action is much smoother (I'm choosing to believe it sheared off a burr or something innocuous), but it started making me think if there might be something up with the tool.  The above observations were what I noticed.  Again, thank you for any input - I've learned so much from this community already!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 04:33:05 PM by CK »

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Just got a Charge TTI - A couple questions
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 05:11:29 PM
Hiya CK,

That doesn't sound too good - esp re. the saw!

I wasn't too happy with the fit n finish with the last one i got either - the file on mine carves an ark on the inside of the scale and the scales are constanly on moving about when i'm using it which really really irritates me, which is why it lives in a draw most of the time. Mine was also super-stiff to open up to begin with, but that's nothing to worry about - that's normal - they loosen up with use.

The first one i got years ago, now long gone, was an excellent tool.

I'm going to dig mine out and have a look at the saw... I'll get back to you...

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:20:34 PM
Just had a quick look at mine - if i shine a light down the down the pivot end i can clearly see all the bronze washers, but i definitely need a flashlight to see them. Also, i can cleary fel the action of the washers when i open the implements... even the file once it clears the scale.
20171111_162215.jpg
* 20171111_162215.jpg (Filesize: 325.59 KB)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:28:13 PM by Fuzzbucket »

us Offline CK

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:56:35 PM
Thanks Fuzz - I really appreciate you taking the time to check that out for me.  There's definitely no washer on my saw  :-\

I'll be in touch with Leatherman today, from what I've read I'm sure they'll get it taken care of!

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:10:37 PM
That's quite alright - I was just farting about this afternoon anyway.

Have you just bought it? If so, I'd get them (supplier) to sort it. If not, I'm sure Leatherman will sort it out for you. Whitby who do all the warranty stuff here in the UK, have sorted me out countless times without issue.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 07:06:14 PM
The plier rub is more of a common issue with more than just the Charge ::) It doesn't really affect use but is still something that shouldn't happen with that expensive of a tool :facepalm: Also on the matter of the washer, I will check a Wave as Idon't have a CHarge but it should be the same an Fuzz has already said his does have one so more than likely there should be one in there but if not it was something they missed :ahhh

Also welcome to :MTO: :salute:

us Offline CK

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 09:38:08 PM
Thanks Poncho!  I texted my buddy who has a Wave, and he confirmed he has all four of the washers.

Fuzz - I just got it yesterday, though it came from a 3rd party seller on Amazon.  I figured I'd start with Leatherman since I'll have to ship it off somewhere anyway, and I'd like to believe what I would get back from them directly will be 100%.  I don't mind waiting a little extra. 

Thanks again guys for your input!  Also for what it's worth.. this is my 4th Leatherman tool (Wingman, Skeletool CX, Micra) and the first with any kind of trouble out of the box.  Definitely haven't lost faith in the brand!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 09:49:00 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum  :cheers:

If you bought it from Amazon Leatherman will want you to deal with the merchant or just don't tell them and send it in under warranty.

We've been down this road recently in another thread.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 09:54:47 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum  :cheers:

If you bought it from Amazon Leatherman will want you to deal with the merchant or just don't tell them and send it in under warranty.

We've been down this road recently in another thread.

us Offline CK

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 10:54:20 PM
Just saw that thread... I'll be reaching out to the seller now ;)

fi Offline Padre

Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 12:14:34 PM
If I were you I would try to loosen up the plierhead and then using the tool squeezing the pliers with some force. I have had problems with multiple TTi:s. The latest one was so bad that even warranty repair coulnt do anything. After using the tool the plierhead got so stuck I had to use another tool to open it again.

Hopefully everything works out!
 8)
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!