Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help me assemble a home/hobby/DIY toolkit

gb Offline BePrepared

Help me assemble a home/hobby/DIY toolkit
on: November 03, 2017, 06:47:14 PM
I would like some advice from the wonderful members in MT.org because I want to assemble a home/hobby/DIY toolkit.  I'm looking for recommendations for what the kit should contain, and which brand/type are "best (value) in class".  Partly, I know, it depends on what I need it for, and that is simple home DIY (fixing a blown fuse, wiring a plug, putting up a shelf, assemble flat pack furniture, hacking together stuff to make assault courses for the cats, etc.)  It's not an EDC kit.

I live in a 2-bed apartment and have a selection of larger full size tools that I have acquired over the years (mains power hammer drill, saws, chisels, wrenches, lots of screwdrivers).  But these tools live in a few toolboxes, and are difficult to get to because we have to pack them away to save space.  So I would like to assemble a home/hobby/DIY toolkit that would be able to fit in something like a Maxpedition Fatty or Beefy, and live in a bedside cupboard, always easy to get to.

I'm currently building the kit around a LM Wave.  Today I picked up a cheap large pouch from IKEA to hold my tools, and this is what I currently have:

I currently have (going from centre to right):
  • Sharpie pen and Zebra F-xMD (with space pen refill)
  • My modded LM Wave (Vic scissors replaced the serrated blade, and inside tools are the large bit driver, a Blast Phillips driver, a large flat driver, and an awl)
  • Below these is a pill/creditcard case containing left over hex bits and sockets, a homemade hex driver extension that fits the large LM bit holder, and a homemade adaptor for sockets that also fits the LM bit holder.
  • There's a Topeak ratchet in it's own case, with hex bits (I swapped originals for 4 flat heads, 3 Phillips, and 2 Pozi), and a MacFeeleys pocketwrench II, a standard hex driver extender, and a LM bit driver that fits the Blast Phillips driver in the Wave, and the Phillips in my Juice.
  • The red item is a basic utility knife, and next to it is a small adjustable wrench.
  • I also have a LM Squirt P4 and mini Sharpie.

On the left is a Cocoon Grid-it, holding various other items (small diamond files, spirit level, LM flat bits and torx security bits, multi-pen, superglue, tape measure.  The Cocoon nicely fits into a back pocket in the IKEA pouch.  Maybe I won't need a Maxpedition now.

I may not have room, but I would like to add:

• Stubby claw hammer --- any good makes out there?  Any alternatives?
  • Better utility knife (the Milwaukee fastback folding knife looks good), but I don't think I want a regular knife.
  • A good hex screwdriver handle (because although I can use hex bits with the LM Wave and Topeak, I would like a basic screwdriver handle as these are more comfortable to hold).  The Switchblade Screwdriver looks cool ( https://www.toolsforstagecraft.com/screwdrivers.html ) but expensive (price x2 with shipping for me in the UK!)  [If I need to do anything that needs large torque I'll pull out a real screwdriver.]
  • I also want to add a non-contact voltage tester (i've got one of the basic metal screwdriver ones that light up when you put your thumb on the back, but people seem to think these are not very safe.)  Fluke or Klein seem to be recommended a lot for NCVT, and I'm tending towards a Klein (maybe with out torch in-built, but not sure about that yet.)
  • I'd like to replace the spanner with a LM Crunch (expensive option), or regular small vise pliers, or a locking adjustable spanner (a cross between the locking vise pliers and the adjustable spanner I currently have, like this ( https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-10-in-Locking-Adjustable-Wrench-ACL10VS/206738169 ) [only discovered these today and not sure if they are 'better' than the regular clamping vise pliers  ...]

What else.  I will probably add a torch, and a regular lead pencil!

To be honest, this kit is also a way for me to have some fun toys to play with.  So I could see myself getting a second hand LM Crunch even if it wasn't the most cost-effective option.  But for some other items, that are less sexy, I would want something good value.

Wow.  That post got long.  Sorry for that, and thank you if you are still reading this.  I would be grateful for any suggestions.

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Re: Help me assemble a home/hobby/DIY toolkit
Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:34:35 PM
Nice looking kit, but YOUR kit will be YOUR kit when you make it your own. Simply make a list of potential/probable tasks you are likely to encounter. Match that list to the “capabilities” in your ikea pouch...
Then remove or add as necessary, ‘cause that’s going to change often. It will then be YOUR perfect go to kit, without having to search in your storage cubby.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 10:32:40 PM

Good selection so far  :tu:

Things I can think of are;
Cable ties, duct tape, oil dispensing pen, AAAflashlight  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 10:44:23 PM
Ah, YES!  Cable ties, duct tape, oil dispensing pen --- hadn't thought about them.   :facepalm:   I should be able to find some cable ties at home.  Maybe duct tape too --- might do one of the EDC tricks with winding duct tape around something like paracord.  Will need to look for the oil pen in a hardware store, and maybe a WD-40 pen too.  Might add a lighter to my list too.  And electrical insulating tape.  I'll also add a long single chopstick  --- having a long pointed piece of wood is useful sometimes!   :)

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:54:14 PM
What Sparky said was pretty spot on. Get a decent duct tape though - removable is best -- cheap stuff like hippo just make a mess and gorilla (imo) is too thick. I'd add insulation tape and a nice pair of diagonal cutters.

Edit: Also -tape measure and pencil!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 10:56:35 PM by Fuzzbucket »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:03:55 PM
Are you in the UK BP? as you have an American accent  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:20:10 PM
Yes Sparky, UK and British.  But American is the language of the internet, so I tend to type with an American accent.   :salute:  That way Brits and Americans will both hopefully understand me.  If I'd said: 'go to B&Q' or I wanted a 'stubby american screwdriver' the meaning might be lost outside of the UK.   :rofl:

And Fuzzbucket, thanks for the tip on the pair of diagonal cutters --- I have been known to cut up metal coat hangers for DIY projects.  I also forgot to add I want some wire strippers (for simple home wiring of plugs), and have been looking for an old LM E4 or ES4 (or somehow add the SOG wirecutter into a tool).
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:27:07 PM by BePrepared »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 12:29:26 AM
Among the things I use most often are a small pair of needle-nose pliers, and a set of micro screw drivers.

Q-tips and pipe cleaners are useful for cleaning small parts.

Have fun putting together your kit!

dk Offline T14

• Embrace the SAK
Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 05:47:21 AM
Looks good  :cheers:

One option to consider would be replacing the cresent wrench with a knipex pliers wrench.
They come in all sorts of sizes and they are super useful for nuts, bolts and for gripping and squeezing in general  :cheers:
-Tom
All I know is that I don't know anything - but I can't prove it!

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:00 AM

Thanks BP I was a little confused  :salute:
I will try and find and photo my little kit .......hiding some where in my garage

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 02:31:20 PM
The Switchblade Screwdriver looks cool ( https://www.toolsforstagecraft.com/screwdrivers.html )

Looks nice but very hard to see from the picture whether or not that bit holder actually centers at the handle axis when open? For a screwdriver that is the difference of keeping the hand/ fingers in the same place while rotating or having to move the hand/ fingers 2+ times every rotation. (Fine for the occasional screw anyway of course).

Apart from the basic tools I've generally found that tools tend to accumulate over time according to what was actually needed at one time or other. What works and what is needed tend to remain in easily available places. More obscure stuff never enter at all or fades into the dark corners over time. I guess that is kind of tool world natural selection?

If you want to plan ahead and be prepared I would say the best way is to actually try the toolkit at the various things you expect to be prepared for? Some things will work excellent, some not so much, and some not at all. Plenty of tools look good on paper. (Others get worn so quickly that you might need replacements too).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 02:53:05 PM
Instead of the Crunch, why not consider a Loggerhead multi wrench?

http://multitool.org/tools/miscellaneous/loggerhead-immix-10-review

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 11:21:15 PM
Skip the stubby hammer. You can choke up on a full sized one, but can't put a cheater bar on a short one.

I'm also going to echo the suggestion of this is your kit. There are many like it, but this one will be your own. Buy what you can now for the core essentials. Update along the way. I started my EDC tool kit and my "serious" tool kit more than 20 years ago, and it isn't complete. It will never be complete.

And remember, Black Friday is three weeks away- watch the sales.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 10:23:16 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

Grant, that Loggerhead looks interesting, but I think I would like a LM Crunch or locking vise pliers, so I can clamp things tight and hold pieces steady when I need to use the dremel to cut/grind small pieces of metal.  But, the Loggerhead site has the Bit Dr 10XR  :gimme:  I like this, but it's $25 + $46 shipping!   :ahhh

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 10:35:15 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

Grant, that Loggerhead looks interesting, but I think I would like a LM Crunch or locking vise pliers, so I can clamp things tight and hold pieces steady when I need to use the dremel to cut/grind small pieces of metal.  But, the Loggerhead site has the Bit Dr 10XR  :gimme:  I like this, but it's $25 + $46 shipping!   :ahhh

A good big pair of vice grips will help you out in a jam when other tools just wont/cant. A good pair of slack jawed or plumbers pliers are immensely handy.. and they dont tend to mash things up too badly either.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 10:38:45 PM
Thanks for all the tips.

I think I know someone that may be able to do a little better than that....

:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 07:10:15 PM
Part of the reason I wanted to assemble this toolkit was because I was inspired by the EDC toolset I've seen carried in a Maxpedition Fatty, or Bulldog Molle CMT Medic pouch, or a Vanquest FTIM Husky.  My kit is not for EDC, but for convenience, i.e. in a bedside draw for whenever a small DIY job needs doing, or some LM modding, without needing to pull out a toolbox.

But these pouches are not cheap, so I decided to make my own using a CD carry pouch, an old (green) kitchen chopping mat, and some elastic ribbon.  The left hand side is more like the Cocoon Grid-it.  Not sure I got the layout right,  :think: but it's OK.  :tu:

The Charge will be swapped for the Crunch I just got myself for Christmas.  :D   My modded Wave is hidden in there somewhere.  :)  And I'll swap the Squirt P4 for an ES4, in the small case on the right.  This little pouch is a very basic set, for changing fuses in plugs, rewiring a plug, etc.  So there's a little bit of duplication that I need to think through.

I've given up on a hammer!  And so far there's no room for a precision bit set, but I've found two suppliers of the 1/4" hex to 4mm system 4 adaptor, so may get one and some precision bits, then be able to use them in a regular hex bit screwdriver.  I don't think the precision bits will take up much space.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 12:18:19 PM

The Charge will be swapped for the Crunch I just got myself for Christmas.  :D   My modded Wave is hidden in there somewhere.  :)  And I'll swap the Squirt P4 for an ES4, in the small case on the right.  This little pouch is a very basic set, for changing fuses in plugs, rewiring a plug, etc.  So there's a little bit of duplication that I need to think through.

I've given up on a hammer!  And so far there's no room for a precision bit set, but I've found two suppliers of the 1/4" hex to 4mm system 4 adaptor, so may get one and some precision bits, then be able to use them in a regular hex bit screwdriver.  I don't think the precision bits will take up much space.

the Crunch is ideal for that
I like how you've mounted it so far, looks good  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 01:52:50 PM
Just to throw in my two cents, have you considered some Allen wrenches?  They can be obtained fairly cheaply and sometimes even in a Swiss Army Knife-Like package.

Or a set like either of these would also fit fairly easily in there:

I would also suggest a small butane torch that could be used for soldering, heat shrink tubing, fire starting etc.  I have one similar to this, but not as nice:

I suggest butane because it is cheap, readily available and you won't have to hunt around for a wall socket when you need to do something.

Def

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 10:47:00 PM
I've got metric and imperial sets of Allen keys, somewhere.  Unless Mrs BePrepared made me throw away one set "because they looked the same".  But I haven't used them for a long time.  The butane torch looks cool, I mean hot!   :D   But not sure what I'd use it for, to be honest (although on occasion I had stuck stuff into the gas flame on the cooker).

I got the Fastback utility knife from a second hand site, although it was still in blister wrap.  I like it very much, one hand opening is great.  It's the gen 1 version, so slimmer then II or III, and no spare blade storage.  But here I am building a compact kit, so I went with the slim one.  Took off the clip too, and grind off the piece that sticks out and stops it laying flat --- not sure what that is for, maybe to stop it lying flat?

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 11:08:01 PM
As well as the non contact voltage tester I'd add a multimeter. It doesn't have to be fancy or super accurate, as long as is it has well insulated test leads you'll be good to go. I can't count the number of times it has saved me hours of pulling my hair out!
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 01:57:26 AM
Part of the reason I wanted to assemble this toolkit was because I was inspired by the EDC toolset I've seen carried in a Maxpedition Fatty, or Bulldog Molle CMT Medic pouch, or a Vanquest FTIM Husky.  My kit is not for EDC, but for convenience, i.e. in a bedside draw for whenever a small DIY job needs doing, or some LM modding, without needing to pull out a toolbox.

But these pouches are not cheap, so I decided to make my own using a CD carry pouch, an old (green) kitchen chopping mat, and some elastic ribbon.
I have seen some really neat pouches in army surplus stores. Something like a first aid pouch could work?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 02:30:25 AM
My kit is not for EDC, but for convenience, i.e. in a bedside draw

There is EDC, the stuff you always have on you. There there are its' close relatives. This sounds like when next you move it will be in the duffle bag that has your spare glasses and some clothes and a roll of toilet paper that will be the last thing in the car at your own place, and the first thing into your new place. Not exactly EDC but very close.

I like where your brain is on the 1/4" to 4mm adaptor and bits. That is the route I take, honestly. You can find them everywhere this time of year. Admittedly, they aren't great, they're promo sets, but you don't need a lot of strength with screws this small. If it won't move, it's glued. I also recommend a spudger- a little plastic pry bar.

And I like your cutting board- I find the Grid-it to be too limiting, so I use a Fisker's cutting mat trimmed to size and bore a hole in awl the right places, then add shock cord and cord locks as needed. Buying is cool, but if you are man-tool-maker, making is very cool.  :D

As for a hammer, "bash it" is man's first tool using instinct. You may need to upscale your case at some point.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:31:49 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 11:59:00 AM
Got some Christmas goodies and a few other items to add to my toolkit  :)

All fits into a CD-carry case.  Built around my modded Wave (Vic scissors, awl and Phillips from Blast range).  Got the LM Crunch for Christmas, to complement the Wave.  And have a ES4 Squirt for wire stripping.  The TopPeak case on right hand size (bottom) holds some bits, a small Wera screwdriver (great bit retention) and the ES4.  This is pocketable and something I would grab for a quick small job like changing a fuse, or re-wiring a plug.

Added a small pry-bar (centre, red), and found a nice cheap ratcheting wrench (left side top, red).  This wrench takes standard hex bit and smaller 4mm precision bits.  The top part is magnetic and takes the 1/4" bits and has a standard ratchet mechanism (which is also deep enough to take LM bits) and the bottom end take 4mm bits (not magnetic, and not a regular ratchet mechanism --- it makes no clicky sound.)  I also have a 1/4" to 4mm adaptor, so I can use the precision bits with a regular hex bit screwdriver.

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 01:08:31 PM
Lovely pry-bar!!! Is that a Hultafors one?

us Offline redmond

Reply #25 on: January 07, 2018, 05:50:47 PM
Let me suggest a couple of small or medium hemostats. They come in very handy holding parts in place while you work on them.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #26 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:21 PM
Yes, a Hultafors 7.5" wrecking bar from Amazon add-on --- £4.99.  Already had some use prying apart some nailed boxes --- better than using a blade...!   :cheers:

The hemostats sound a good idea, but I don't have much space left so I'll see what I feel is missing.  Last week the Wave, Crunch, both ratchet screwdrivers and the pry bar got some use when I took apart an Ikea storage box, cut it down to size, and re-assembled it in a different way, so the cats could use it as a step to jump up onto the top of a cupboard...  I'm kinda keen on getting a Wera pistol ratchet screwdriver, but it may be too large and I already have the stubby ratchet driver.  The only tool I feel I am missing is a hammer, but not sure if I could/should fit one in --- Tesco's sell a small stubby one which my wife thinks I don;t need  :twak:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #27 on: January 07, 2018, 09:03:23 PM
Yes, a Hultafors 7.5" wrecking bar from Amazon add-on --- £4.99.  Already had some use prying apart some nailed boxes --- better than using a blade...!   :cheers:

The hemostats sound a good idea, but I don't have much space left so I'll see what I feel is missing.  Last week the Wave, Crunch, both ratchet screwdrivers and the pry bar got some use when I took apart an Ikea storage box, cut it down to size, and re-assembled it in a different way, so the cats could use it as a step to jump up onto the top of a cupboard...  I'm kinda keen on getting a Wera pistol ratchet screwdriver, but it may be too large and I already have the stubby ratchet driver.  The only tool I feel I am missing is a hammer, but not sure if I could/should fit one in --- Tesco's sell a small stubby one which my wife thinks I don;t need  :twak:

Just popped one in my basket for next time!  :cheers:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: January 07, 2018, 09:07:47 PM

That looks to be a useful grab bag no matter where you are BP  :tu:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 05:44:41 AM
What about a roll of electrical tape?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD