Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Mountaineers

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
The Mountaineers
on: November 04, 2017, 12:34:18 AM
Yes, I see a "four layer" club and various other ways that the Mountaineer could be included into some club. I even though about asking about joining the Huntsmans club with it, reasonably sure of being accepted, what with the only difference being a different type of saw... a METAL saw!

However, I believe the Mountaineer deserves a club of its own. While not rare, I understand that they are not common in the US.

Mine has no large driver half-stop, has the groove in the cork screw, the snap ring on a shim, a screw holding the scissors together, and no sewing hole in the awl. I place it between 1974 and 1985. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_0725.JPG
* IMG_0725.JPG (Filesize: 164.44 KB)

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: The Mountaineers
Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 12:35:54 AM
IMG_0726.JPG
* IMG_0726.JPG (Filesize: 163.25 KB)

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 05:36:53 AM
Nice knife TB!!  I only know of one other person that packs one, and she absolutely loves it! 
Barry

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 07:52:05 AM
I have one exactly like that! :D

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:37:25 AM
Yes, I see a "four layer" club and various other ways that the Mountaineer could be included into some club. I even though about asking about joining the Huntsmans club with it, reasonably sure of being accepted, what with the only difference being a different type of saw... a METAL saw!

However, I believe the Mountaineer deserves a club of its own. While not rare, I understand that they are not common in the US.

Mine has no large driver half-stop, has the groove in the cork screw, the snap ring on a shim, a screw holding the scissors together, and no sewing hole in the awl. I place it between 1974 and 1985. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Here are a couple of pics:

Good idea TB I really like the Mountaineer and its metal file. Almost as much as I love the fish scaler. Mine is quite modern but it deserves a Club of its own  :cheers:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:18:28 PM
I finally have a Mountaineer, but I had to build it.  :facepalm:

Does it qualify for this thread?  :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 10:11:22 PM
Mountaineers.

The red one is an older version with 8 blades, including a grooved corkscrew.  The blue and onyx are 9-blade versions.

IMG_9328.JPG
* IMG_9328.JPG (Filesize: 79.01 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 10:31:21 PM
If it has a corkscrew, I'm a fan.   Sadly, I have sold or traded off the 2 mountaineers I've had... I haven't discovered the beauty of the large file YET... but the day will come.  I'm sure of it. 

At any rate, I am pleased to see another model-specific club has sprouted.   :cheers:  :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline twiliter

Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 11:34:15 PM
Mountaineers.

The red one is an older version with 8 blades, including a grooved corkscrew.  The blue and onyx are 9-blade versions.

Some nice ones CS.  :like: It looks like the older versions came with or without keyring, and were more popular in Europe for some reason, and the new ones are only available with keyring.  :think: Anyway, I think I made a mistake, I went ahead and put 4 backtools on it, so it's not exactly a Mountaineer.  :facepalm:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 11:36:55 PM
If it has a corkscrew, I'm a fan.   Sadly, I have sold or traded off the 2 mountaineers I've had... I haven't discovered the beauty of the large file YET... but the day will come.  I'm sure of it. 

At any rate, I am pleased to see another model-specific club has sprouted.   :cheers:  :salute:

I am a big fan of the 91mm file, and the newer one is super nice, I find uses for it a lot, you can even use it for a general pokey thing like the fish tool.  :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 12:35:37 AM
I have one but TBH it's probably my less carried SAK. I feel it's too heavy for its layers/tools and I've never had much love for the file, if I carry one it's usually on my Champion or Swisschamp.

Not that it doesn't have its merits but to me it's a very limited model  :-\
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 02:21:30 AM
Nice knife TB!!  I only know of one other person that packs one, and she absolutely loves it! 

Hi Barry. Thanks! Glad she likes it. While I like the woodsaw, the metal saw is so much less common. I like less common. I have a Camper with a saw, and my Surge, Rebar, and Super Tools all have wood saws. So a metal saw is refreshing. Of course, I can swap out saws on my Surge, but I'd not had or even seen a metal saw on a SAK before I got this at a flea market.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:23:46 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 02:22:45 AM
I have one exactly like that! :D

Great, Mech! So our personal club is even smaller!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 02:26:21 AM

Good idea TB I really like the Mountaineer and its metal file. Almost as much as I love the fish scaler. Mine is quite modern but it deserves a Club of its own  :cheers:
[/quote]

Thanks FastBill. The only ones I have had with fish scalpers have been knock-offs. One day I may get an Angler.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 02:27:06 AM
I finally have a Mountaineer, but I had to build it.  :facepalm:

Does it qualify for this thread?  :D

Approved!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 02:28:55 AM
Mountaineers.

Very nice! Anyone ever seen one with a bail?

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: November 05, 2017, 02:30:25 AM
Oh no! Now I'll end up buying a mountaineer next! :ahhh :ahhh I gotta stop looking at these individual model threads, I'm running out of space! :facepalm: :D Great thread TB :tu:
Send In the spartans

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 05, 2017, 02:37:09 AM
I have one but TBH it's probably my less carried SAK. I feel it's too heavy for its layers/tools and I've never had much love for the file, if I carry one it's usually on my Champion or Swisschamp.

I hear you, and agree that the wood saw, for example, is more useful in general. That being said...My Tinker Deluxe has the same number of layers, but the plyers layer is quite wide. That makes it wider and heavier than the Mountaineer. Plus Tinker Deluxe plyers leave a lot to be desired.

The Mountaineer file is really a metal saw on one side, with a nail file on the other, and nail cleaner end. So I find use for it. It will cut your beer and tonic cans open to make those emergency stoves.

Once in a while I pocket it, but it often is in my backpack
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 02:38:17 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #18 on: November 05, 2017, 04:37:47 AM
I find the 91mm file to be pretty darn good for filing my nails as well as cleaning out gunk under them.

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 09:18:56 AM
Oh no! Now I'll end up buying a mountaineer next! :ahhh :ahhh I gotta stop looking at these individual model threads, I'm running out of space! :facepalm: :D Great thread TB :tu:

You know it makes sense S19. And if they're not that common your side of the pond ... why wouldn't you ? We'll all back you. :whistle:
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 10:02:13 AM
Another happy Mountaineer owner here.  I bought mine new only a year or two back so is, for me, relatively un-carried.  Rather superseded by my Grand Prix mod I suspect.  However it is a fantastic SAK and I think people rather underestimate the newer version of the metal file, it's a excellent tool IMO.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:12:26 AM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 10:23:45 AM
I think the newer file gets underestimated too. I use the file quite a lot, never for my fingernails, but so many other things. I use it 99 to 1 more than a wood saw on a SAK, in fact I have used it on full sized saws, even chain saws to adjust bad spots in the blades. The old style was adequate, and the one on my SwissChamp was completely worn out, but the newer one is really great.  :salute:

Besides, all the coolest SAKs have them, Troubleshooter, Clipper, Modeler, Ranger, Grand Prix, Astronaut, etc.  :D

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 05:00:15 PM
I awlmost forgot... I'll awlways be a Mountaineer... My alma mater's mascot is Yusef the Mountaineer.

88ba7d41d2edd40023e5320f02fc5ee5.jpg
* 88ba7d41d2edd40023e5320f02fc5ee5.jpg (Filesize: 150.09 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 06:43:16 PM
TB, I agree that the Mountaineer is a great SAK with the file, but since I tend to like fewer layers, I'm a Trail Guide fan. 3-Layers with the scissors, file, and blade/combo.  :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:58 PM

I hear you, and agree that the wood saw, for example, is more useful in general. That being said...My Tinker Deluxe has the same number of layers, but the plyers layer is quite wide. That makes it wider and heavier than the Mountaineer. Plus Tinker Deluxe plyers leave a lot to be desired.

The Mountaineer file is really a metal saw on one side, with a nail file on the other, and nail cleaner end. So I find use for it. It will cut your beer and tonic cans open to make those emergency stoves.

it's not a bad tool at all but I feel that my Surge and Gerbers with swappable blades are much more apt to any cutting task, and I always pair a SAK with a MT so it's usually a redundant implement on my EDC, and this one is not replaceable so I prefer to wear out and use blades that I can easily change and buy new for little price

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Spartan19

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2017, 08:07:56 PM
 :rofl:

You know it makes sense S19. And if they're not that common your side of the pond ... why wouldn't you ? We'll all back you. :whistle:

:rofl:Thanks Fastbill! I'll need it! :salute:
Send In the spartans

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 08:51:06 PM
I've 3 SAK files and can't recall using them since all my m/t's have them.  I have to say I'd get a Mountaineer for the name alone!
Barry

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 10:06:27 PM

it's not a bad tool at all but I feel that my Surge and Gerbers with swappable blades are much more apt to any cutting task, and I always pair a SAK with a MT so it's usually a redundant implement on my EDC, and this one is not replaceable so I prefer to wear out and use blades that I can easily change and buy new for little price

(Image removed from quote.)

I have no Gerbers (yet...I'm eyeing a Pro Scout), but agree with you about the Surge swappable blades. Such a solid and robust tool design. I also pair a SAK with a LM, but honestly, if I carry the Surge, there is never a real need to carry anything else, other than 2 are 1 and 1 is none. Plus, I carried a SAK or knockoff since before Leatherman sold the PST, so it is a habit to always have a SAK within reach. I know there is an off color joke in the last half of that statement, however, as an adult, I am told I must ignore it and let it stand

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 10:08:28 PM
I've 3 SAK files and can't recall using them since all my m/t's have them.  I have to say I'd get a Mountaineer for the name alone!

Just to clarify, it is a nail file, nail cleaner, metal file AND metal saw. Upping the tool count over the wood saw

us Offline twiliter

Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 10:29:11 PM
The wood saw is a one trick pony. Don't forget that the file also saws wood!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%