Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman’s Lapel Pin Tool

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Leatherman’s Lapel Pin Tool
on: August 22, 2007, 01:24:29 AM
I have to say right up front that I am fairly disappointed with this one, but I hope this review will be helpful/informative for anyone looking seriously at this product:

First the pliers, the heart of a MT… let’s just say I was a little under-whelmed here. The minute size is really rather inhibitive. I would say that it could work for some really tiny jobs like working with jewelry chains or picking splinters or something like that, but the jaws are so stiff I can hardly get any motion out of them at all! And the real killer? There’s this big arch type thing that extends from the one handle that completely blocks the front of the pliers!!! It seems that this piece was put on the tool for some sort of cosmetic/fashion reasons, but it really compromises the function of this tool.

Secondly, the screwdriver: Short and stubby, and at an awkward angle to use effectively. To top it off, the already mentioned “cosmetic arch” is actually touching the head of the driver, thus eliminating any possible use it might have had. On the bright side, I don't think anyone will be frustrated by any redundancy on of excess screwdrivers.

Next lets look at the knife: All my LM’s until now had come with surprisingly sharp blades, but this one might be one of the dullest NIB knives I’ve ever seen! Off the top of my head I can’t think of one useful thing that it could cut. Also, you’d think that with such a small blade, you would give it a nice thin slicing design. But they seemed determined to make this thing a heavy cutter, since they made it considerably thicker than my Spyderco D4! Needless to say the blade grind is pathetic as well.

And lastly the file: The face of the file was not nearly aggressive enough to do any serious work. I’ll just add that it’s too small, and leave it at that.

The few positives I saw in this tool were the nice finish, minimal “wobble” or looseness of the separate parts, and the nice carry system which is composed of a small pin and clamp. This easily pushes through a fabric and is held in place by the clamp on the other side. It works very well and hardly adds any weight at all. Unfortunately, it’s not one handed access, but it is still rather simple and easy to use. The other biggest benefit that I saw in this tool, is that you can bring it through almost any security and have the sharp edge of the pin (the only genuinely useful feature of this tool) whenever you need it.

All in all I have to say that I’m really disappointed in Leatherman for this one. I know it’s a small package, but I just feel like they could have done so much better by paying more attention to some of the details, and focusing more on function over looks. The limited tool selection is unforgivable IMHO. Thankfully it was given to me free when I went on the factory tour, so I didn’t waste a whole lot of hard earned cash on it!

Pros
+ Great fit & finish
+ Lightweight
+ Non aggressive/Very PC
Cons
- Terrible tool selection
- Thick, dull blade
- The “cosmetic arch”, a big mistake IMO
- Worst ergonomics ever

Heres a pic:

* LapelTool1.jpg (Filesize: 106.65 KB)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:44:46 AM by NeitherExtreme »

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: Leatherman’s Lapel Pin Tool
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:25:07 AM
Next to a P4 for size reference:

* LapelTool2.jpg (Filesize: 113.29 KB)

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:39:37 AM
 :) :) :)    ;D

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 02:33:31 AM
Wow very good review on this item I have been looking at getting for several years now. I guess It will have to waite until the black oxide version comes out> ;D
S

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 02:37:07 AM
Wow very good review on this item I have been looking at getting for several years now. I guess It will have to waite until the black oxide version comes out> ;D
I considered waiting for that one too, but I think the black coated blade might make it a bit to "agressive" for some of the places I go.  :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 03:15:48 AM
Hey, great review!! Thanks for putting this one through it's paces and reporting back!

(Although I have to disagree with you about that arch...the previous model without arch suffered from many of the same problems.)  :D

* Leatherman Super Tool lapel pin.jpg (Filesize: 55.25 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 03:22:48 AM
(Although I have to disagree with you about that arch...the previous model without arch suffered from many of the same problems.)  :D
Wow, how did I miss that one?!? At least that one has a much better selection, and the file looks much more usable  :D

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:20:51 AM
Did it come with an equally outstanding Sheath?  :-\

My GI Joe needs a tool.
-

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:48:21 PM
The one with the arch kind of reminds me of those communicator buttons on Star Trek!

Leatherman, one to repair!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:24:11 PM
I'll have to try that, maybe it'll let me talk right to Tim Leatherman himself!

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 11:25:32 PM
Did it come with an equally outstanding Sheath?  :-\

My GI Joe needs a tool.
No sheath. I'd sujest you look for an older model (ST200 style), as it looks to be quite a bit more useful. Im sure Joe would appreicate it more than my pretty new one!

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 07:02:25 AM
I think GI Joe would want a SOG... Just imagine, compound leverage AND kung fu grip!!!! 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%