Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Firefly fire starter

us Offline BlueDot

Firefly fire starter
on: November 06, 2017, 03:21:31 AM

This looks real handy.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/740457940/firefly-the-ultimate-swiss-army-knife-accessory

I have enough ferro rods to last a lifetime, but still find it hard to resist such a cool little tool.  Guess that's why I'm here... :facepalm:

dc
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Firefly fire starter
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 12:25:28 PM
  Seen this on Ebay a little bit ago. Replaced the toothpick it claims. So, for those anti-toothpick people, maybe this is their ticket for something useful to put in there? I personally like the toothpick.

Firefly Variety 8 Pack Swiss Army Knife Fire Starter Steel Flint for Victorinox
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 05:15:02 AM
I think some of us might have gotten it in the past and there might even be some review floating around somewhere.

But from what I see on YouTube, definitely put a finger behind the Firefly before striking it, otherwise it might break in half since it's brittle.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 06:29:39 AM
I have a couple and they would definitely not be something I would rely on to be my primary means of fire starting.  As can be imagined based on fitting in the toothpick slot, this is not a thick or durable fire steel.  It is not going to throw huge sparks like some bigger steel, but with a good tinder you should be able to get enough sparks to light a fire.   

In my experimenting, what I have found to work good, is using the wire stripper notch as the strikerand keeping a finger behind the firefly for support.

As an emergency, better than nothing option, it works especially if you are not a toothpick user.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 02:38:53 AM
I'll get a pack some day - mainly because the chances are higher that I will be lost in the woods, without my full-sized ferro rod, and will need to build a fire before I'm found.... compared to the chances that I will pick my teeth with the plastic Vic toothpick..... 

If I don't get the Firefly, I'm just wasting space. 

Important point to put out there - if you do use the firefly, strike the NARROW edge, not the flat side.  You're less likely to break it. 

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 06:36:23 PM
Has anyone actually used it?  It's so thin.  How many fires can it light before it breaks?  I wear XL size gloves and holding onto something that small isn't my idea of a way I want to start a fire.  I don't do mini prybars and smart phone screens are impossible.  As much as I want to love it, I fear it is a better idea than it is in reality.  Some one tell me I'm wrong.

us Offline CraftsmanSAK

• Bought a Trekker for work and the collection began
Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 10:58:00 PM
I don't own any, but I have used some tiny ferro rods in the past.  The best route to go with them is to use a stick behind them (and cut a small notch to steady it in the stick) and then hold on to both and pull it toward you under your striker. 
They say the pen is mightier than the sword.   However... there is a dead guy here with a Bic in his hand and a Samurai walking away.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 04:30:33 AM
I received one with a sak I picked up but never used it and probably never will.  They should have made them to fit the pen slot on the plus scales, at least then it would be bigger!  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 03:11:58 PM
I don't own any, but I have used some tiny ferro rods in the past.  The best route to go with them is to use a stick behind them (and cut a small notch to steady it in the stick) and then hold on to both and pull it toward you under your striker.

Nice tip.  I have a small ferro rod from a magnesium bar.  Its not quite as small as the FF looks but the technique will be a good one to use on my ferro rod. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 03:13:39 PM
I received one with a sak I picked up but never used it and probably never will.  They should have made them to fit the pen slot on the plus scales, at least then it would be bigger!  :)

I guess the makes thought the standard scales made better sells of their product.  I've always like those toggle ferro rods.  One could simple attach one to any SAK and off you go.  They are quite a bit more robust as compared.  Not knocking the FF just another option. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 11:26:06 PM
You could probably get one of the narrow ferro rods from Amazon (like Baylite), cut it, and keep it inside the corkscrew. 

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 05:51:04 PM
I got an email from these folks this am about a new offering, a corkscrew twist-in ferro rod and possibly tinder. Might be better carry than the questionable toothpick slot.

Could not find it on their website but it said tomorrow announcement.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 05:54:14 PM
I got an email from these folks this am about a new offering, a corkscrew twist-in ferro rod and possibly tinder. Might be better carry than the questionable toothpick slot.

This might be more interesting.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 07:10:41 PM
 :popcorn: I do hope they listened to the feedback on their initial offering.  I think it was a neat idea and with the new idea they can really top it. 
Esse Quam Videri

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 11:00:23 PM

Yes, it’s announced!  :like:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,84148.msg2095937.html#msg2095937
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%