Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Drilling a Spydie hole into AUS8 A?

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Drilling a Spydie hole into AUS8 A?
on: November 06, 2017, 11:43:28 AM
I have a refreshed appreciation for the patented Round Hole of our beloved Spyderco.

The efficiency and simplicity has yet again touched the German in me  :salute:

So..........on to my modified (read:fixed) CS FinnWolf.  :drink:

I have a very serious urge to remove the thumb stud and to drill a big hole in the blade right there.

The scallop already in the handle needs to be enlarged slightly.

No matter what I'm going to mode the back lock spring anyway.....

I have a nice big drill press, and very bad experiences drilling into hardened blade tangs, any advice?  :think:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: Drilling a Spydie hole into AUS8 A?
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 02:15:08 PM
I also have had some bad experiences grinding and drilling hardened blades, but mostly good results.
I can tell you that I've drilled 4 Cold Steel blades in AUS-8 (Hold Out 1, Vaquero grande, Ti-Lite and Gunsite) with different bits, drills and heads and they were almost all a pain to work with .  :oops:
The Ti-Lite was ground(ed?), not drilled, and I got good results, but the 3 others I drilled or pierced into them and 2 were true messes. The Hold Out still has scary scars and marks, as does the Vaquero.    :facepalm:

The Gunsite I was able to touch up a bit and repair some of the damage but I would for the love of me not try to pierce through and AUS8 blade again unless it was completely necessary.

Grinding, shaping and removing material in light passes and progressive manner?  OK
Punching holes through it? Bad idea 
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 02:28:36 PM
Ya gonna need carbide drills and go slow.
Nate

SEND IT!

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 02:32:41 PM
Thanks  :salute: .....figured as much.

If it was carbon steel I'd try to anneal with the edge clamped in a vice, but stainless is a smurf...

I'll ask my buddy, maybe some magic bit on his milling machine could do it......I'm severely motivated by this idea  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 02:33:48 PM
Ya gonna need carbide drills and go slow.

:tu: milling machine for sure then....

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 03:03:45 PM
If the new large hole is concentric with the hole for the thumb stud then drilling ought to work.  Go fast if you're using carbide and make damn sure everything is fixed solid or you'll break the bit.  If it's not concentric then you'll need a carbide milling cutter not a drill.  I'd be tempted to do it by hand with abrasive bits in a Dremel or die grinder - mark it accurately and go slow - you should be able to sneak up on a perfect circle as the material is so hard.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 03:44:09 PM
Perfectly said. I should have went in to more detail.
Nate

SEND IT!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 04:02:19 PM
 :salute:

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 04:39:28 PM
An M35 cobalt alloy bit on the press would work well, but an M42 cobalt alloy bit would likely cut it like butter. High speed steel bits will lose temper at high temps when drilling hard steels and iron, but the cobalt alloy allows for a much higher working temperature and hold the temper very well. Use a good cutting oil as well and clamp the piece very well and it should be fine. Be careful though, a lot if junk companies try and sell TiNi coated buts as cobalt "like", but those won't work.
Good luck!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 08:45:15 AM
Thanks guys  :salute:

If the hole was concentric I'd give it a go on my drill press......but that point where the big hole meets the small hole is what worries me.

My buddy is a wizard on the milling machine and lathe, I'll just show him where the hole goes and stand back  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:24:32 AM
An M35 cobalt alloy bit on the press would work well, but an M42 cobalt alloy bit would likely cut it like butter. High speed steel bits will lose temper at high temps when drilling hard steels and iron, but the cobalt alloy allows for a much higher working temperature and hold the temper very well. Use a good cutting oil as well and clamp the piece very well and it should be fine. Be careful though, a lot if junk companies try and sell TiNi coated buts as cobalt "like", but those won't work.
Good luck!

Just spoke to my buddy, recently got a quote on 3mm Carbide bits decided to make another plan.  :facepalm: Local prices are ridiculous and transport kills you on imports....

If the hole was concentric he could re-profile a masonry bit, he's very sure that would  go through. 

Offline CarlWorker

Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 06:55:09 PM
My advice to you is simple. Inspect the material before drilling, there might be nails or knots which avoid a right drilling. Stabilize the material. Pre-drill holes. Is it the material too hard? Buy a drill more powerful. Check more tips here LINK REMOVED and have a drilling safety.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:14:40 PM by zoidberg »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 05, 2018, 06:55:29 PM
My advice to you is simple. Inspect the material before drilling, there might be nails or knots which avoid a right drilling. Stabilize the material. Pre-drill holes. Is it the material too hard? Buy a drill more powerful. Check more tips here LINK REMOVED and have a drilling safety.

Is nails or knots in AUS8 a common problem? :pok: Actually, I just might check out more tips.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 11:15:01 PM by zoidberg »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 12:37:47 PM
We destroyed an end mill, I drove to the hardware store and got the masonry drill bit.

Not sure what my buddy did to the cutting edge but it took about 30 seconds, it went through the AUS8 like nothing....

There's a link to the video somewhere on this forum  :facepalm: took so long it looks like there's 3 threads for this knife  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%