Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Non lockung multitools regarding local knife laws-

de Offline Shuya

Non lockung multitools regarding local knife laws-
on: November 08, 2017, 10:56:00 AM
Ive got a question to the "locals" around the world regarding their knife laws.
Here in europe we got the whole range of laws, from "we dont care" (austria) to "better keep your scissors at home" (UK).

My issue is with the non locking rule, for example in the UK, france, italy, spain afaik.
Now there are some MTs that have no locking blade, but the handles prevent the blade from folding in when closed, for example:
- old Mr Pinchys
- old LMs (PST, PSTII, Flair)
- SOG PPP, Paratool

All these tools are non locking, but: how are they handled in real life? Are these tools considered locking or non locking in your country?
I worry about this since I travel a lot and dont want to mess with the police far from home.

Any experiences?

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Non lockung multitools regarding local knife laws-
Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:02:57 PM
Ive got a question to the "locals" around the world regarding their knife laws.
Here in europe we got the whole range of laws, from "we dont care" (austria) to "better keep your scissors at home" (UK).

My issue is with the non locking rule, for example in the UK, france, italy, spain afaik.
Now there are some MTs that have no locking blade, but the handles prevent the blade from folding in when closed, for example:
- old Mr Pinchys
- old LMs (PST, PSTII, Flair)
- SOG PPP, Paratool

All these tools are non locking, but: how are they handled in real life? Are these tools considered locking or non locking in your country?
I worry about this since I travel a lot and dont want to mess with the police far from home.

Any experiences?

In the UK, it is presumed that they are non locking, but if it went to court??? Also, even if it's non-locking 3" or less, it's still a bladed article, so you have to be mindful of that in public spaces, train stations etc... and if it's flashed about or percieved to be used in a threatening manner, then (under law) it becomes an offensive weapon, but that could technically apply to anything eg. an umbrella.... or a stick... or a frozen banana....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:05:16 PM by Fuzzbucket »

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Non lockung multitools regarding local knife laws-
Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:13 PM
To give an answer to the OP, a multi is NOT classed as a folding pocket knife so there must be a good reason for carrying it.

For an example a PST does not have a locking blade but the handles can be closed which will prevent the blade from folding. It basically doesn't pass the sniff test of closing the blade in a single operation.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD