Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My musings on the lack of grammar nazis

lister · 372 · 10586

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Re: My musings on the lack of grammar nazis
Reply #30 on: November 11, 2017, 01:01:31 AM
I read a lot of content from ESL members of my department. Most of the time I tend to interpret intent to save time asking question. I don't have that issue here.  An overwhelming majority of the time I don't have to worry about intent or content because it is crystal clear.
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline redmond

Reply #31 on: November 11, 2017, 01:26:02 AM
Remember too that the US, Canada and the English are three peoples separated by a common language. Sometimes we can barely understand each other, much less our many regional dialects.

Y'all, or more properly: All y'all be doin' just fine. Don't sweat the small stuff. eh?

:facepalm:
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: November 11, 2017, 01:32:41 AM
Ya'll are lucky I don't type as badly as I speak :facepalm: :D Most of you wouldn't get my dialect of Southern US  :ahhh I try and type as well as I can but I always find spelling errors when I post early in the morning :whistle: :D I generally forget that English is for the most part a second language for quite a few of you :o It amazes me how well you peeps command the English language :salute: Even those that don't, I can always understand the point they are trying to get across :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: November 11, 2017, 02:10:09 AM
Spannend is definitely German.  Maybe Dutch too?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #34 on: November 11, 2017, 02:13:18 AM
Or did you just mean that the Dutch are exciting people, cuz from what I can tell around here, they awl are.  :D
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline redmond

Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 03:32:15 AM
Speaking of spannend, if you want a "spirited" response, tell a Kiwi that he/she has a cute Aussie accent. 

Been there, done that, and the bruises haven't quite healed yet.  :ahhh

Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 06:55:25 AM
Speaking of spannend, if you want a "spirited" response, tell a Kiwi that he/she has a cute Aussie accent. 

??

Or

??
:whistle:

nz Offline moonweasel

Reply #37 on: November 11, 2017, 07:11:45 AM

??
(Image removed from quote.)
Or
(Image removed from quote.)

??
:whistle:

Kiwi Fruit,
Kiwi

Kiwi also :D

One thing I have noticed is the (usually) American thing of confusing 'then' and 'than', creeping into a few of the non native speakers posts.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #38 on: November 11, 2017, 07:26:16 AM
Agreeing to pretty much everything posted above, I have to note: After spending 10+ years on Second Life, I've seen so mangled English from native speakers that I'm certain I need not to worry about any small grammar mistakes I may make.

No grammar nazism needed, methinks!
 :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #39 on: November 11, 2017, 09:04:34 AM
Too and to too...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

you forgot two.

Honestly I'm amazed at some people who can readily understand a second language...I have always done poorly in Spanish classes in high school and college, conjugating verbs(In English we dont really conjugate) or just seeing a short word like "us" is "nosotros" in Spanish? and even watching narcos on netflix which is 70% Spanish with subtitles I try and keep up with my limited knowledge base, but it still goes too fast to translate on the fly. these were the only classes I ever took where if I didnt make a tiny cheat sheet I would have failed miserably.

At times I feel really dumb, especially back in school(math or spanish), maybe I had a attention deficit disorder..but other times I feel very smart, can complete most New York Times Crosswords and destroy almost every opponent in words with friends, but I do admire you guys who can work 2 or more languages :salute:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:25:27 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: November 11, 2017, 12:03:21 PM
Or did you just mean that the Dutch are exciting people, cuz from what I can tell around here, they awl are.  :D
Both of course ;) - but anyway the spelling and meaning of 'spannend' is indeed identical in German and Dutch.

Let us not forget the aspect, prevalent in traditional immigration countries, of recent immigration and the need to learn a sometimes drastically different language than one's mother tongue, or conversely, bringing in a quite different accent of the same language...

Another known factor in determining how good citizens are at speaking foreign is the size of a country and/or population speaking a particular language. I comfort myself in believing this is why most Dutchmen tend to be quite proficient in English... or maybe it's down to "who wants to learn Dutch anyway" :D

And then, to make it more complicated, some members, in the more SAK oriented threads, like to throw in the occasional sentence in Middle English :D

I generally go by the formula "if you can understand it, don't bother to correct". I agree this may be less educational... but for one I am not a native English speaker, hence I don't want to be perceived as overly arrogant and pedantic, and for the other this is not a language forum.

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #42 on: November 11, 2017, 06:36:54 PM
When I was living over there, I did notice that German people seem to prefer to speak German and the Dutch a little bit more flexible...

For instance, there were more programs in English with Dutch subtitles, a departure from the all-German TV I had been used to.

I know that one of the big reasons that I have made so many mistakes in my posts is that I'm using a mobile, and often use talk to text. So spelling and punctuation kind of get thrown out the window.

But I honestly don't mind grammar sticklers, as long as they are correct in their corrections

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:38:17 PM by El Corkscrew »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #43 on: November 12, 2017, 02:30:08 AM
But I honestly don't mind grammar sticklers, as long as they are correct in their corrections

I'm usually pretty flexible, so long as I can discern the meaning. 

I have been known to point out errors in a corrector's post, just to make the point that no one is perfect.  But there is always a danger that I might make an error myself, thus leaving myself open to someone else pointing out MY mistake.    ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #44 on: November 12, 2017, 02:39:33 AM

I'm usually pretty flexible, so long as I can discern the meaning. 

I have been known to point out errors in a corrector's post, just to make the point that no one is perfect.  But there is always a danger that I might make an error myself, thus leaving myself open to someone else pointing out MY mistake.    ;)
Then repeat ad nauseam.  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: November 12, 2017, 02:44:55 PM
As someone else mentioned, this is not a language forum, so I feel no need to correct unless someone is specifically asking for correction.

If I cannot understand a post, I would ask for clarification, and maybe that would be enough.

Older British and US imperialism, and the Cold War being what they were, and NATO and the UN being what they are, I suppose it makes sense that there are people all over the globe who speak English of some variation. Even pilots on international commercial flight are mandated to speak English.

Having said that, I am always interested in where folks on this forum are from, because very often I am bowled over at people's English language skills here. I find myself reading posts, only to check its country of origin and say to myself "wow. I couldn't say all of that in another language."

I took French in grade school and high school. Learned some bits and pieces of other languages from friends. Learned how to count and say "again!" in Toysanese going to school in Chinatown. And learned  Brasilian Portuguese from my previous Mrs., currently "X" Mrs. ThundahBeagle.

And I don't think I could say much of a mouthful in any of those languages compared to what folks from around the world write here in English.

So, kudos, and try, but you shouldn't be overly concerned. Good group of folks we have here
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:46:29 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 03:12:36 PM
I feel that in the US, an immigrant does themself and our society a disservice if they are not learning some English. It happens a lot here that folks are refugees and just don't speak it upon arrival and that's not the group to which I refer. What I mean is that I know folks who had planned to come here, and who have been here for years and I still can't hold a rudimentary conversation with them. Not that someone shouldn't feel free to speak their native tongue...but when living in Rome and trying to communicate at city hall...

Others arrive and try their best to be quick studies. Even just trying makes a huge difference in how one is received and how readily another is willing to help.

Whenever I've been in a different country, I've done my best to learn as much local language as possible. I like to hope that if I moved to, say, Brazil, in a couple year's time, to the casual eye at least, I could be indistinguishable from those born there, linguistically. Maybe I couldn't, who knows.

The thing about a forum like this, is that it is NOT United States oriented. Even coming from Canada, it isn't Canada-oriented either. It is such an international forum that we gain more than just Swiss Army Knife and Leatherman perspectives in different countries. Lingo, slang, colloquialisms, information on law, customs, geography, weather, and food shines through.

There is communication between Russians and Americans. Germans and Israelis and folks from various middle eastern countries. Folks from Southeast and far east Asia, and Europeans. The UN doesn't get along as well as we do. It's better than just tolerance, and it isn't a forced, pandering internationalization either. Because we share a common interest, we just are. And for the most part, all goes well.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:14:57 PM by ThundahBeagle »

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 03:36:21 PM
Couldn't agree more, Thundah :tu: :cheers:
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 04:12:50 PM
I sometimes forget we are as international as we are because we all get along so well :D

I was just actually showing my little girl all the flags of the different members here and it is very cool how diverse we are here :like:

Like Thundah said it isn't forced as (well to me) we all seem to get along genuinely :tu: Sure we do have a few disagreements sometimes but who doesn't :D I think I disagree more with people at work and around here than I do with the lot of you :D :like:

The culture of different countries that I have learned here about many different places is another aspect of MTO that keeps me coming back over and over as well :tu:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 04:17:59 PM
I sometimes forget we are as international as we are because we all get along so well :D

I was just actually showing my little girl all the flags of the different members here and it is very cool how diverse we are here :like:

Like Thundah said it isn't forced as (well to me) we all seem to get along genuinely :tu: Sure we do have a few disagreements sometimes but who doesn't :D I think I disagree more with people at work and around here than I do with the lot of you :D :like:

The culture of different countries that I have learned here about many different places is another aspect of MTO that keeps me coming back over and over as well :tu:

+1  :salute:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 04:52:12 PM
Io non spreche English bien μα seviyorum быть hier יחד ك.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #51 on: November 12, 2017, 05:01:58 PM
Io non spreche English bien μα seviyorum быть hier יחד ك.
French, English, Spanish, Greek, Russian and Arabic? :think:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #52 on: November 12, 2017, 08:13:35 PM
Italian, French, German, English, Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Russian, Dutch, Jewish and Arabic (these two are counted from right to left).

We all love life, SAKs and MTs too. All the rest are secondary matters.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: November 12, 2017, 08:34:27 PM
Italian, French, German, English, Spanish, Greek, Turkish, Russian, Dutch, Jewish and Arabic (these two are counted from right to left).

We all love life, SAKs and MTs too. All the rest are secondary matters.
So we could have hosted our shared GAW in Dutch? :sa: :D

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #54 on: November 12, 2017, 08:43:14 PM
Many would be able to understand and participate then. For the rest of us, there’s the Google Translate.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:14 AM
Whenever I see the prizes on MTs here in Switerland, I think "Give me a brake, they cost a fifth in the US".

... that should summon Zoids :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: November 13, 2017, 08:33:44 AM

So what do the rest of non-native anglophones think of this? Do we hang out in a to nice a place to hone our language skills?  :D

I have a few triggers, top of the list is probably They're/Their/There & such  :facepalm:

:rofl:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: November 13, 2017, 08:34:51 AM
....and I don't give a smurf what the spell checker says, it's

Favour
Colour
etc etc
 :rofl:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #58 on: November 13, 2017, 09:00:07 AM
Whenever I see the prizes on MTs here in Switerland, I think "Give me a brake, they cost a fifth in the US".

:facepalm:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 09:02:23 AM

I've never been in Switerland. Is it that much more expensive than Switzerland?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%