Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My musings on the lack of grammar nazis

lister · 372 · 10600

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Re: My musings on the lack of grammar nazis
Reply #360 on: December 04, 2017, 03:12:28 PM
I'll wait for the TARDIS' universal translator to hit the market...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #361 on: December 04, 2017, 03:16:12 PM
I guess it gives a rough translation more than anything :think: That way a person can get the jist of it at least ::) :D

Usually, yes. But how can you be sure if you don´t know the language that´s being translated?

Use several translators based on different technologies and compare the results?  :D

Clever. I´m not sure there are any different technologies.

O ye, of little faith:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_machine_translation_applications

:D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #362 on: December 04, 2017, 03:44:19 PM
Thanks. I´m not in IT anymore, haven´t been for 20 years. Guess I need to catch up a bit.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #363 on: December 04, 2017, 05:04:48 PM
I guess it gives a rough translation more than anything :think: That way a person can get the jist of it at least ::) :D

Usually, yes. But how can you be sure if you don´t know the language that´s being translated?

Sometimes we can tell by context.

I took one course in Spanish during college. It was a Spanish text translation course, no writing and speaking. Reading only. And pretty quickly, I learned to be able to read the basics from a newspaper in Spanish as long as I had a dictionary handy. It was partially because I could process the information based on context. It wasn't always perfect, but by the end of that semester, I could often get the gist of it.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #364 on: December 05, 2017, 07:07:58 PM

I took one course in Spanish during college. It was a Spanish text translation course, no writing and speaking. Reading only. And pretty quickly, I learned to be able to read the basics from a newspaper in Spanish as long as I had a dictionary handy. It was partially because I could process the information based on context. It wasn't always perfect, but by the end of that semester, I could often get the gist of it.

bien, bien.   :D
El Español es bastante fácil en comparación con muchas otras lenguas (Alemán, Chino, Árabe...) y bastante asequible...incluso aunque sea a través del Spanglish.   :rofl:

:tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #365 on: December 06, 2017, 12:51:14 AM

El Español es bastante fácil en comparación con muchas otras lenguas (Alemán, Chino, Árabe...) y bastante asequible...incluso aunque sea a través del Spanglish.   :rofl:

:tu:

I didn't say I had a Spanish dictionary handy now.  :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #366 on: December 06, 2017, 02:01:00 AM
I don't know any Spanish, so here goes....
Spanish is very? hard? in comprison to many other languages (?, Chinese, Arbaic...).... ahhh ya lost me.  :shrug:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #367 on: December 06, 2017, 03:11:49 AM
I want to try!

El Español es bastante fácil en comparación con muchas otras lenguas (Alemán, Chino, Árabe...) y bastante asequible...incluso aunque sea a través del Spanglish.

Spanish is basically simple in comparison to many other languages, German, Chinese, Arabic and understandable including spanglish?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:58:05 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #368 on: December 06, 2017, 03:33:01 AM
Makes more sense than my attempt...

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #369 on: December 06, 2017, 12:03:14 PM
I want to try!

El Español es bastante fácil en comparación con muchas otras lenguas (Alemán, Chino, Árabe...) y bastante asequible...incluso aunque sea a través del Spanglish.

Spanish is basically simple in comparison to many other languages, German, Chinese, Arabic and understandable including spanglish?

that's a very nice translation   :hatsoff:
My toys:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #370 on: December 06, 2017, 02:06:43 PM
Pretty easy. The portuguese just put lots of Is in portuguese words and say lots of La and Lo and they convince themselves they're talking spanish...

Portuguese:
A língua espanhola é muito fácil de aprender e de falar em pouco tempo.

Spanholese:
La língua espanhiola és muito fiácil de apriendier e de faliar em piouco tiempo.

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #371 on: December 06, 2017, 06:30:16 PM
Pretty easy. The portuguese just put lots of Is in portuguese words and say lots of La and Lo and they convince themselves they're talking spanish...

Portuguese:
A língua espanhola é muito fácil de aprender e de falar em pouco tempo.

Spanholese:
La língua espanhiola és muito fiácil de apriendier e de faliar em piouco tiempo.

:facepalm:

Hahaha that's very true, as is the fact that we Spaniards speak Portuguese by adding -ais and -ão to the end of most words
 :rofl:
My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%