Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a slimmer Multitool

HOOT · 34 · 1336

Offline HOOT

Looking for a slimmer Multitool
on: November 11, 2017, 03:58:49 PM
As per the topic title I'm looking for a slimmer multitool to replace my Gerber 600 which is too wide. Ideally I would need something no more than 3.5cm wide, any suggestions? Thank you.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Looking for a slimmer Multitool
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 04:41:12 PM
Have you looked at these?

Everything’s adjustable

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:48:49 PM
A LM Rebar is relatively slim and open to modding...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:08:40 PM
Welcome to the forum  :cheers:  how about a juice s2 ? Although would depend on what tools you need daily  :tu:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 05:16:35 PM
Skeletool is pretty thin.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Offline HOOT

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 05:34:22 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions and the warm welcome. Sounds like the rebar might be the perfect fit size wise. I also saw the Leatherman Wave, does anybody know how wide it is? I like the fact that it has scissors and interchangeable bits, although they're not strictly essential.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 05:47:05 PM
Quick measurements just now:
Wave 37 mm wide overall (mainly due to the blades which extend out from the handles in width).
Rebar: 34 mm at the locks, these spring in however; 31 mm at the handles.

You can do it the MTO way and buy both, then swap the bit driver and scissors from the Wave into the Rebar :D (however modding voids warranty... check the Hacked Leatherman thread for some examples, including my Rebar VX).

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:50:07 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 07:43:07 PM
Welcome to :MTO: :salute:

I would make a suggestion but a couple that I would have said are already mentioned ;) :D

Offline HOOT

Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 07:58:47 PM
Wave 37 mm wide overall (mainly due to the blades which extend out from the handles in width).

You can do it the MTO way and buy both, then swap the bit driver and scissors from the Wave into the Rebar :D (however modding voids warranty... check the Hacked Leatherman thread for some examples, including my Rebar VX).

Thanks for the measurements, its greatly appreciated, would you be able to give me the thickness as well?

Anyway looks like the Rebar is the better option for me as I need that smaller form factor.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 08:00:09 PM by HOOT »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 08:06:07 PM
I also would recommend the Rebar  :tu:

Welcome to MTO !

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 10:50:34 PM
Rebar (right) if looking for new. As mentioned, 31-34mm

Original PST (left) is 27mm for its full length or PST II if old-school is acceptable

Nothing quite as slim and slick and plain old utilitarian as the PST platform
IMG_0640.JPG
* IMG_0640.JPG (Filesize: 98.34 KB)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:59:33 PM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 11:09:43 PM
Original Super Tool by Leatherman = 31mm

Nobody has mentioned any Swiss Army knives, probably because you mentioned replacing an MP 600, but in case it is an option, a Camper at its widest at the nail knick are is 25/26 mm, although it has no plyers. The Tinker Deluxe has small plyers and is 26mm blade spine to awl, and 22mm scale to scale.

Update: PST = 27mm x 12mm x 102mm

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:36:11 PM
I agree the PST/PST II are good options.  Rebar too.  Let us know what you choose!

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 12:25:42 AM
Willing to bet that if Leatherman pulled the plans and specs of the PST and PST II out of the drawer and started producing them again, as they were, but new production  and date codes, they would be purchased. Maybe not as many as the Wave or Surge, but more than enough to justify production costs. I mean, they still produce the Rev for some reason, and I bet a new PST would sell far better than that

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 12:37:43 AM
Willing to bet that if Leatherman pulled the plans and specs of the PST and PST II out of the drawer and started producing them again, as they were, but new production and date codes, they would be purchased. Maybe not as many as the Wave or Surge, but more than enough to justify production costs. I mean, they still produce the Rev for some reason, and I bet a new PST would sell far better than that

The PST's patent should have expired by now. Anyone could start making it. PST II maybe, too.

And for that reason, we might not ever see Leatherman making them.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 01:26:20 AM
Willing to bet that if Leatherman pulled the plans and specs of the PST and PST II out of the drawer and started producing them again, as they were, but new production  and date codes, they would be purchased.

Particularly if the made a knifeless model with a file and a woodsaw! I'd buy half a dozen of them to go with fixed blades in various sizes.

And make a super slim line tool, no file or saw or blade.  :viking: Pure tool, even school friendly (at least for faculty and visiting adults).

But some of us have been asking for that for years. Just like we want the original Squirt models back because the new ones have sucky scissors.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:48 AM
Why not the 600's little brother, the MP400

Great little tool that is very similar to the 600 in loadout and function, just smaller and lighter. I've had mine for 13 years.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 06:45:36 AM
Welcome to MTO. let me be the first to suggest the Victorinox Spirit or Spirit X.  It has outside opening tools, although not one hand opening, and an excellent assortment at that, and is thinner than any comparable tools.  I carried mine today for nearly 19 hours, in my back pocket, and I can assure you that it is so comfortable to carry that you won't even notice it.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 08:43:49 AM
Vic Spirit is very slim.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 12:05:10 PM

Thanks for the measurements, its greatly appreciated, would you be able to give me the thickness as well?

Anyway looks like the Rebar is the better option for me as I need that smaller form factor.
You're welcome :hatsoff: Thickness is 16 mm.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:06:27 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 01:02:57 PM
just because it's on topic, anybody know the specs for the Pocket Power PLier? It always felt so thin and slim to me...
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline HOOT

Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 02:51:50 PM
Wow, didn't expect so many options. I'd like to keep the black oxide finish so that should help narrow things down a bit. Swiss army knives are a no go as I need sturdy pliers and the SOG baton is too long therefore a traditional multitool design is probably my best bet.

Rebar (right) if looking for new. As mentioned, 31-34mm

Original PST (left) is 27mm for its full length or PST II if old-school is acceptable

Nothing quite as slim and slick and plain old utilitarian as the PST platform

Original Super Tool by Leatherman = 31mm

Nobody has mentioned any Swiss Army knives, probably because you mentioned replacing an MP 600, but in case it is an option, a Camper at its widest at the nail knick are is 25/26 mm, although it has no plyers. The Tinker Deluxe has small plyers and is 26mm blade spine to awl, and 22mm scale to scale.

Update: PST = 27mm x 12mm x 102mm

Great stuff, thank you. I'm guessing the PTS is so slim because it lacks a locking mechanism. Ideally I'd like to have that feature, so the Original Super Tool you mentioned could be a great alternative to the Rebar.

Why not the 600's little brother, the MP400

Great little tool that is very similar to the 600 in loadout and function, just smaller and lighter. I've had mine for 13 years.

That's actually the first one I looked at, my impression was that it was too wide due to the plastic tabs for the locking mechanism that stick out the sides (just like on my 600). If you have the time could you let me know the maximum width on the 400? I don't know why manufacturers don't publish all the measurements on their websites, it would make life a heck of a lot easier.

Welcome to MTO. let me be the first to suggest the Victorinox Spirit or Spirit X.  It has outside opening tools, although not one hand opening, and an excellent assortment at that, and is thinner than any comparable tools.  I carried mine today for nearly 19 hours, in my back pocket, and I can assure you that it is so comfortable to carry that you won't even notice it.
Vic Spirit is very slim.

I wasn't able to find these in black oxide finish, is that correct?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 03:00:41 PM by HOOT »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 06:08:51 PM

Vic Spirit is very slim.

I wasn't able to find these in black oxide finish, is that correct?

Here you go: https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/SwissTools/SwissTool-Spirit-XBS/p/3.0224.3CN

Where're you living, HOOT?
I might have got access to a Spirit S in Black Oxide at a reasonable price.
They're quite hard to come by these days and the latest version (XBS) is quite pricey.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 08:21:29 PM

They're quite hard to come by these days and the latest version (XBS) is quite pricey.

If Hoot does not want it, I'd be interested. They are scarce and expensive in Oz.

Cheers Pete

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 08:30:53 PM

If Hoot does not want it, I'd be interested. They are scarce and expensive in Oz.

Cheers Pete
Shipping from here would be €13.05 for a standard package.
Tracked would turn that into €65.60!! :ahhh

Here's the catch.
I won't be seeing the seller again 'till probably somewhere in the first quarter of 2018.
If you state that you can wait and might still be interested then (no obligations!), I'll contact you as soon as I've got my paws on another one and share you the price.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 08:55:04 PM
I can recommend the MP400 and the Spirit. Depending on your local laws the '400 can be modded to be bladeless. Here's my BO version:
WP_20171005_009.jpg
* WP_20171005_009.jpg (Filesize: 302.96 KB)
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

Offline HOOT

Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 10:24:09 PM

Cheers Pete
Shipping from here would be €13.05 for a standard package.
Tracked would turn that into €65.60!! :ahhh

Here's the catch.
I won't be seeing the seller again 'till probably somewhere in the first quarter of 2018.
If you state that you can wait and might still be interested then (no obligations!), I'll contact you as soon as I've got my paws on another one and share you the price.

Thanks for the offer, just to have an idea what kind of price are we talking about? Because I just checked retail and its quite far off my budget.

au Offline pietervn

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 12:43:54 AM
G'Day

If Hoot does not want it I'll take it. I can wait until next year that is not a problem. I too would like an indication of pricing for the tool.

On a side note, are the Swisstools cheaper in Switzerland? I will be there next year in April and will definately look for a BO one.

Cheers Pete

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 06:33:33 AM
I'm guessing that with standard shipping added, the total would be around €90-100.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%