Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommend a source for single sockets?

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Recommend a source for single sockets?
on: November 12, 2017, 01:37:30 AM
Going through a box of bits and pieces, I came across 1/4 and 3/8 inch, 12 point sockets for a 1/4" drive. I run into square nuts more than I probably should, so if I'm going to throw 3-5 sockets in my kit they should be 12pts and 1/4" drive. I've got other and more sockets in the car if I really need them, but I would like to add a 1/2" to my EDC bag of tricks. But I can't find a place to find a 12pt 1/2". I can find 6pt all the day is long, but the internet is as sparse as my brick and mortar options.

Any suggestions other than buy a whole kit?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Recommend a source for single sockets?
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 03:26:35 PM
Lowes if you have one close by would be a great place with there Kobalt tools :tu: If not close then here is a link :salute:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-4-in-Drive-1-2-in-Shallow-12-Point-Standard-SAE-Socket/3454910

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 03:33:19 PM
Craftsman (now subsidiary of Stanley I think)
S-K Tools are also US made, though a little pricey. Get one or two key pieces from either of those two and it'll last a lifetime.

Other than that, make friends with a mechanic and pay them for what you need and they can order it from Snap-on or Matco

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:33:43 PM
Tried Lowes. Tried Sears. Tried mulitple TruValue (two lies in one there) and Aubechans stores. Half a dozen car parts stores.

I can get six point until they come out my ears. For my larger sizes, I've got 6pt for my tool bag in the car, impact rated 6pts in with my drill, and a mix of 6 and 12 sockets in my bigger kits. I know the 12 point in smaller sizes has a risk of rounding off the bolt, but this going to be with a Doc Allen, I'm limited to how much torque you can put on it. I've got 12pt for smaller sizes, just really wanted one for half inch to go with. I run into an abnormal number of square nuts, mostly holding furniture from the 70s together.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 12:08:25 AM
The link was for a single socket that is a 1/4'' drive 1/2'' 12 pt socket.  All you have to do is pay a bit more to order it instead of get it in the store :cheers:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 01:25:56 AM
OH!

I'm a smurf.

Thank you, Poncho.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:15:49 PM
I'd check industrial,electrical, and mine supply places. Most of them carry (but most locally, you'll have to order the tools from) tool brands that no one else here locally carries, namely S&K & Proto . Sears used to, but does anyone even have those anymore?  My granddad has used S&K ratchets and sockets for 40 years. Their warranty is awesome--my granddad gave me a stripped S&K 1/4 ratchet, and they sent me the rebuilt kit, and as it was covered, it didn't cost me anything.

I see loads of sockets (most of them seem to be decent, such as Craftsman and S&K) at flea markets.

us Offline Yalius

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:06:51 PM
I'd have a hard time paying $4.50 for a single socket when there's this available for $9 plus free shipping.

https://www.amazon.com/Craftsman-Etched-Standard-Shallow-Socket/dp/B01JMIPVJU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1510844547&sr=8-3

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:13:58 PM
If you have access to Snapon, Mac, or other premium tool trucks, you should find one there.

Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

Offline Ravenroost

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:14:51 PM
If they are for driving a square have you considered those spline sockets?

I usually buy Proto or Wright, but I work on mining and industrial equipment all the time, you could get away with something more cost effective.

I usually order out of a catalog or call my toolset, but you can find single sockets on Amazon and Do so.

For cost effective brands, Tekton or Sunex are really decent. My wife has a few sets of those and she said they are good.

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 05:50:27 PM
If your looking for something for square nuts, they make 8 point sockets for those.
- Steve

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD