Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which Swisstool?

us Offline Kraken

Which Swisstool?
on: November 22, 2021, 03:18:12 PM
I'm looking to purchase a Swisstool and need some help deciding on which one to purchase. I'm struggling between a Swisstool with the serrated blade and a Swisstool X with the scissors. I want a full-size tool, so the Spirit is off the table. In a previous job, I used a Leatherman with a serrated blade almost daily and found it convenient for certain tasks. Nowadays I carry a Swisschamp at work and an Explorer everywhere else and have found the Victorinox scissors almost indispensable. I don't plan on carrying the Swisstool at work, but rather throw it in a bag if we go camping or in the car if we're going somewhere where we might have use for it and not a full tool bag.  I'm not sure if I'd get more mileage out of the serrated blade on the Swisstool or scissors instead. Hoping those of you that have either model, or both, can weigh in. 
Semper Fortis

Offline ecally

Re: Which Swisstool?
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 05:31:49 PM
That’s what I like most about my LM Wave and Surge, I don’t have to choose. I also love my Swisstool and went with the ‘X’ as I find myself using scissors more than a serrated blade. If you went with the serrated you could always carry a classic unless you need larger scissors. Tough decision, but I’d go with what you use most.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 06:52:03 PM
Great question Kraken.

I went with the X, but thinking I should also try the Spirit X. The corner on the chisel has me interested as well as the smaller size of the tool overall.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 12:33:01 AM
I’d go with the regular Swisstool.

You can always put a Classic on your keys as suggested above, or slip a Compact in your pocket if you prefer the full-size scissors.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 04:33:00 AM
 :iagree: Options for scissors are a lot more abundant than for serrated blades, in my experience.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #5 on: November 23, 2021, 08:09:31 AM
Do you need a metal file/saw?

Otherwise, you can try this old(er) model with scissors and serrated blade.

bg Offline DavisNikolov

Reply #6 on: November 23, 2021, 12:33:04 PM
For me Leatherman make the knife blades better than Victorinox. So based on your experience with Leatherman serrations you might not like so much the Victorinox ones. Therefore I'd say go with scissors.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 24, 2021, 02:53:36 AM
If I may, how about the Swisstool X in CS Plus format? This, since you mentioned  it might be used while camping; the kit comes with Swisstool X, corkscrew, and bit kit with your choice of L wrench or ratchet. A small but comprehensive kit, and can be complemented with either of your SAK's.

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 24, 2021, 02:59:50 AM
Also, check E Bay, craiglist or post a Want To Buy in the Tools Needed thread for a Swisstool RS, which comes with both serrated and plain edge blades, and scissors. (I think that's the one in the picture above from Zephon).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%