Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge tti or BO Wave?

us Offline Flint Hills

Charge tti or BO Wave?
on: November 15, 2017, 02:25:24 AM
So I want (not need) another tool and can't decide between these two.

I like the all black look of the BO Wave and functionally it seems no different than the Charge. The new ones don't have the cap crimper either.

The Charge looks great too. Is it noticeably lighter than a Wave? That would be a big deciding factor. Charge has the cap crimper which seems like it would just get in the way? I can't think of a single reason I could use it.

I'll likely be going to a kit with the bits, pocket clip and all.

I know Charge vs Wave has been discussed before, just wanted to hear some updated opinions. I know some here have both and I'd really appreciate your thoughts.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Re: Charge tti or BO Wave?
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:30:30 AM
Wave. :tu:

You won't be as mad when you have to use it and scratch the finish. :ahhh
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 03:13:18 AM
Wave!  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:45:02 AM
Really tough call.  Lets sets money aside for the time being and just discuss the tools.  In hand I can't honestly say one is lighter however for some reason my BO Wave just feels heavier.  Maybe because in my mind Ti should be lighter? 

I initially disliked the CC plier head of my TTi.  I  had a CC BO Wave that I got rid of because of the CC plier head.  I cannot say why I disliked it but I'm over it now.  They dont get in the way or effect how I use them.  I do think they are job specific but again dont impart my usage.   

Blade steel goes to the TTi.  My TTi tends to be my primary blade so the S30V is pretty nice in that regard.  I am not knocking the steel on the BO Wave at all. 

Looks is not something I can speak to.  I like both very much looks wise.

Now to cost.  The Wave is a great tool.  Its an honest tool.  If you "need" S30V and will be using the TTi as your primary blade then for sure the TTi is "worth it". 

I've used a SS Wave for years and when I first got my TTi I was bummed about the pliers head.  I carried it despite my initial dislike.  Shortly tho I stopped in favor for my SS Wave.  I've been carrying my TTi now full time for work and love it.  I dont care about the CC plier head at all.  It has not got in the way or prevented me from using the tool. 

When it comes to theses tools its about what appeals to you.  What will you enjoy using?       
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 07:59:14 AM
I would take the Signal over a Charge or Wave any day, bOOm.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 03:01:28 PM
If price is not a factor, I prefer the Charge TTI over the Wave, because the handle of the Wave is too sharp around the edges when squeezing hard if I am using any of the tools other than the pliers.

The Charge TTI handle is very comfortable in my hand if I need to squeeze hard on it.

The pliers head with the crimper has never interfered with anything when I have used the pliers.

As far as weight, they feel pretty close in weight when actually using them.

us Offline Flint Hills

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:06 AM
Thanks for the input everyone!

us Offline Flint Hills

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:37:27 AM

I hadn't really thought about this...I do like the looks of the Signal.

Can the file be swapped for the Wingman scissors like I've seen done on Wave and Charge?

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:00:17 AM
Ess.

Thirty.

Veeee.

:multi:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:02:47 AM

Can the file be swapped for the Wingman scissors like I've seen done on Wave and Charge?
the Signal doesn't have a file... but it does have a saw. ;) I haven't tried it myself, but based on the look of the tools, I would guess that yes, the saw could be swapped out for Wingman scissors like many have done with the Wave/Charge.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:33:52 AM
People mention the s30v steel blade. But, with the good things about it being said, do you carry a dedicated blade? Personally I have only used my MT blade when I left my folding knife laying somewhere and needed a quick cut. Most of my EDC MTs have barely used blades with factory edges. So that may be another thing to consider in the decision.
I personally plan on getting a TTi one day, but only for the completion of my 4" LM MT collection. It is really an expensive MT when you think about the toolset being nearly identical to the Wave(except for the gut hook on the serrated blade of the Charge).
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:55:07 AM
Charge AL or ALX. No CC, you get a very respectable steel in the blade but you don't pay that tti tax.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 07:42:52 AM
I don't always carry a dedicated folder so the S30V is nice.  I also have a Charge AL with 154CM thats pretty nice too.  My Wave sports a very sharp blade as do all my MTs.  I tend to refine the edge as best I can.  When I do carry a dedicated blade in addition to my TTi I will use my MT blade for dirty work without hesitation.  I've not had to touch up my TTi blade at all.  Now that being said I am always fiddling with my blades so for no other reason I have stropped it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Gerlon2fingers

Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 02:21:04 AM
I love my Charge Ti. I can’t really compare it to the other model, but I really dig my Charge  :drool:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 04:12:41 AM
I think @aloha answered @gerleatherman point pretty uniquely. And I like the angle. I often carry a super steel knife alongside a multitool, for the obvious reasons, and I just like to. But if you have a multitool with supersteel it takes away the "must" for carrying a separate dedicated supersteel blade doesn't it. Makes sense to me.

420 or 440 gets dull so quickly. Easy to sharpen, ok.  But why have to?

If the charge tti had an awl, it'd make the decision and price point a possible possibility for me. Price still a little out of my wheel house, since the wave and rebar work for me AND I like carrying a dedicated knife.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:16:07 AM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Flint Hills

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 04:15:09 AM
Well, I think I'm leaning toward the Charge.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 04:33:53 AM
I agree about the necessity factor point, but 420HC steel(wave blades) isn't anything to sneeze at. Just sayin'. :)

In the end, the Charge TTi is $50+ more for a better steel blade and a gut hook.

With that being said, I will admit, the TTi is a better looking MT. IMHO of course. :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 06:44:37 AM
You've got to find one for a good price.  When I looked at the Charge vs Wave dilemma early on I insisted the Wave was the "better" deal.  Its hard to argue such a bump in price unless like me the S30V will be your primary blade.  If you can get one at a good price its really easily justified.  Its hard to put a price on enjoyment of an item.  I really like the looks of the BO Wave very much.  The TTi tho is most certainly a looker.  Its really the finer points when deciding.  Hunt down a TTi for a good price. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 07:31:14 AM

the Signal doesn't have a file... but it does have a saw. ;) I haven't tried it myself, but based on the look of the tools, I would guess that yes, the saw could be swapped out for Wingman scissors like many have done with the Wave/Charge.

Yes you could install the Wingman scissors or you could pair the Signal with a Pioneer X or SwissCard Nailcare.
The Signal is lighter than the Charge or Wave, it's thinner and pockets better as well.
I find the handles more comfortable and the plier head better.
The downside is cost, but that also goes for the other two.
If you're going to drop the coin then consider a SwissTool Spirit.

fi Offline Padre

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 01:47:33 PM
I am not a big fan of TTi so Wave all the way. One thing that is better on TTi is that it closes narrower than Wave, its the only redeeming factor.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!