Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Impulse buy!

us Offline Glockfan

Impulse buy!
on: November 15, 2017, 03:33:41 AM
So, I am a total Leatherman guy, BUT,  I've had the bug for a mp600 for awhile. Finally decided to just order the dang thing. I got a BO 600, needle nose. Just curious if you all think I'll be converted over to Gerber or what, lol. Jk.  I am very curious how I'll like it. It looks pretty cool, except for that blade, but we will see. The only gerber I own is the dime ( in every color, cause I have a problem).

The blunt nose looked awesome, but I figured the needle nose would be more practical for what I need. Rebar is usually my daily carry, but gona try rotating this new guy in to give it a try.

Any thoughts?

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Impulse buy!
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 04:06:36 AM
Any thoughts?

I think your wallet (and your patience) may suffer terribly when you find out just how many different colours Gerber made MP600's in

hint:  not just the regular red, blue, green, orange, tan, camo and yellow that are relatively easy to find (compared with some of the truly rare colours)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 05:22:19 AM
For the money, any serious MT guy should have at least one mp600, in my opinion. I happen to have four.  One BN BO, One BN SS, & 2 NN SS. The BN BO is my fav of the 600s, but it is mint, so I bought the BN SS and one NN SS  used so my OCD mind can use them well. Keep an eye on ebay too, as the older clip point blades pop up sometimes for a song amd are way better than the wharncliffe. The MP series are relatively easy to modify as well.
Congrats Gfan on the real Gerber MT purchase! :cheers:

Oh, and one last thing, the ultra narrow handle splay and smooth handles makes the MP400/600 outstanding for gripping. :tu:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 09:50:40 AM
My bet is on you being a convert.

I was a dyed in the wool Spirit user until I received a BO NN MP400 and a SS BN MP600. Now I EDC the '400 - made it bladeless (easy modding is one of the prime advantages of the MP's) - they are built like tanks and the flicking is fricking cool!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fi Offline Padre

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:58:35 AM
As an pure pliers MP600 shines, its rattly, it doesnt feel that great, but when every other tool breaks, this thing just keeps on going.

My work carry is BO 600 with blunt nose and performs really well. Only the large screwdriver has broken from my abusive usage. :)

The file isnt as good as on Rebar or Wave, but still works on most metals.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:51:10 AM
You all make some great points. Thanks. Will definitely update after I receive and use it. :mail:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:26:17 PM
I did not realize how much I used the other tools on my LM Rebar and Wave till I adopted a Gerber Diesel. Found I had to flick the pliers out to access a blade or screw driver.

The Diesel was replaced with a LM OHT GR my flick impulse, and outside tools made it easier. 

Still carry a Wave or Rebar daily. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 04:22:37 PM
Very good points also. What's funny is, I actually had the BO NN in the cart, and also the BO bladeless bouncing around in my cyber cart. Ditched the bladeless at checkout. I'm starting to think that I should of just got that one.

All I do know, is if the little lady admits me before this thing comes, I sure hope I can bring my rebar. :)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 07:11:14 PM
Thanks to reading about Lego stuff, I'm used to "impulse buys" being under $15. :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:15 PM
Thanks to reading about Lego stuff, I'm used to "impulse buys" being under $15. :whistle:
What Lego stuff do you have Pabs?  :pok:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 08:59:19 PM
I was referring to the likes of 7695 Astro Fighter or 5619 Crystal Hawk, which is the in the size and price range I'd class as an impulse buy.
I've been meaning to get it and some other sets from the "Mars Mission" theme since around 2010.  :facepalm:
Despite not having any sets from that "Mars Mission" lineup, I classifiy it as my favorite Lego..  :think: :D
I like the Mars related stuff.  :D

The highlight of what I have (IMO) is some star wars, particularly 8014 Old clone battlepack and 7913 Newer speeder battlepack, I like the little guys.  :tu:
In hindsight, I wish I'd gotten more than one or two each when they were available and cheap.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 09:09:41 PM
I was referring to the likes of 7695 Astro Fighter or 5619 Crystal Hawk, which is the in the size and price range I'd class as an impulse buy.
I've been meaning to get it and some other sets from the "Mars Mission" theme since around 2010.  :facepalm:
Despite not having any sets from that "Mars Mission" lineup, I classifiy it as my favorite Lego..  :think: :D

The highlight of what I have (IMO) is some star wars, particularly 8014 Old clone battlepack and 7913 Newer speeder battlepack, I like the little guys.  :tu:
In hindsight, I wish I'd gotten more than one or two each when they were available and cheap.  :facepalm:
Ooooo that Astro fighter is sweet. I hope you get that.

The Clone troopers are cool too. Do you think we'll ever see clone troopers for real? Or will it all be robotic?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:45 PM

The Clone troopers are cool too. Do you think we'll ever see clone troopers for real? Or will it all be robotic?
I have no idea, what do you think? Droids seem more feasible, though expensive.  :think:

All hail the hook!

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 09:41:46 PM

I have no idea, what do you think? Droids seem more feasible, though expensive.  :think:
Droids seem to be the way it's going at the moment, but they will always rise up against their masters and take over the world. So.......................

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 10:01:17 PM
Got the mp 600 yesterday, and carrying it at work today. Obviously way to early to give an overall opinion, but first impression, I like it. It's lighter then I thought it would be, and all the tools seem to deploy nice.

Couple things I'm not to sure about are, the locks for the tools seem a little generic, and when you open a tool, there sure isn't a real click. I'm use to that positive click with leatherman. Only other thing, is that BLADE!

But honestly, it's nicer then I thought it was going to be.  I' got the BO, cause I saw a lot about the silver version rusting easier. I work outdoors in Illinois, so it can be 100+ or negative 5, and will definitely see rain and snow. I'm going to carry it for a month to really get a feel for it. We will see.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 10:13:04 PM
Very interested to see how you like it after a while of using it. I used to be just a leatherman fan then got myself some SAK's and a swiss tool spirit from victorinox and now love them just as much. I never really liked the look of gerber in comparison to leatherman but i would really like to dip my toe in the gerber pool to see how it feels. I think a MP 400 BN would be a great start for me. I really like the look of the blunt nose pliers. I wish leatherman offered a blunt nose option as well as there standard needle nose.

Looking forward to see how it goes for you.  :tu: :salute:

-----5hif7y-----

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 10:19:03 PM
Very interested to see how you like it after a while of using it. I used to be just a leatherman fan then got myself some SAK's and a swiss tool spirit from victorinox and now love them just as much. I never really liked the look of gerber in comparison to leatherman but i would really like to dip my toe in the gerber pool to see how it feels. I think a MP 400 BN would be a great start for me. I really like the look of the blunt nose pliers. I wish leatherman offered a blunt nose option as well as there standard needle nose.

Looking forward to see how it goes for you.  :tu: :salute:

:cheers:

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 02:28:26 AM
I been carrying the 600, at work, for a couple weeks now. Have had no issues with the tool, my only complaint is the sheath. It’s Ginormous!!  Seems way to wide. Not sure if they had multiple sheaths for this tool, but I received the flat nylon one.  Just curiuos what other 600 users use?

Thx

And yes, I’ve enjoyed it enough, I did pick up the mp400 also  :facepalm:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 03:30:06 AM
I been carrying the 600, at work, for a couple weeks now. Have had no issues with the tool, my only complaint is the sheath. It’s Ginormous!!  Seems way to wide. Not sure if they had multiple sheaths for this tool, but I received the flat nylon one.  Just curiuos what other 600 users use?

Thx

And yes, I’ve enjoyed it enough, I did pick up the mp400 also  :facepalm:
I found a black leather US issue gun clip sheath that fits the 600 perfectly and is 100x better than that god forsaken pancake Gerber calls a sheath. It also hangs lower than the Gerber sheath making it feel like it weighs less. :cheers:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 03:53:04 AM
gun clip sheath

:facepalm:

Glad you are enjoying your new tool!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 04:08:41 AM
gun clip sheath

Clip case, magazine pouch, etc. Whatever ya call it. I've heard it called many things. It works. Facepalm all ya want. :D

P.s. I know almost nothing about guns, except a Bersa .380 and Steven 311 12g.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 04:16:27 AM
Glockfan,
Hopefully this better conveys what I mean to write.
20171204_211110.jpeg
* 20171204_211110.jpeg (Filesize: 59.13 KB)
20171204_211212.jpeg
* 20171204_211212.jpeg (Filesize: 61.73 KB)
20171204_211231.jpeg
* 20171204_211231.jpeg (Filesize: 89.78 KB)

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 04:27:50 AM

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 04:31:34 AM
Glockfan,

:like:   Thanks, looks like that’s definitely smaller, and a nice fit.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 04:44:25 AM
Glockfan,

:like:   Thanks, looks like that’s definitely smaller, and a nice fit.
:tu:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #25 on: December 05, 2017, 05:08:30 AM
I actually like the style of sheath that comes with the Center Drive. It hangs a bit low off the belt in horizontal carry thanks to the way they sew the loops and there's a generously sized pocket for accessories. Not sure if they sell that particular one separately.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2017, 05:20:53 AM
gun clip sheath

Clip case, magazine pouch, etc. Whatever ya call it. I've heard it called many things. It works. Facepalm all ya want. :D

Did not mean to offend you or come across as a jerk if i did. Your wording just made me grin. Those Bersas are nice .380s, btw. The people who talk crap about them have never held one. Kind of like a Walther Ppk

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 05:23:07 AM
I actually like the style of sheath that comes with the Center Drive. It hangs a bit low off the belt in horizontal carry thanks to the way they sew the loops and there's a generously sized pocket for accessories. Not sure if they sell that particular one separately.

I’ll check it out, thanks !

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 05:59:37 AM
gun clip sheath

Did not mean to offend you or come across as a jerk if i did. Your wording just made me grin. Those Bersas are nice .380s, btw. The people who talk crap about them have never held one. Kind of like a Walther Ppk
No offense taken! I was grinning a bit as well.  :cheers:
Thank you! Really like the Bersa, but I've only fired a few pistols over the years. The guys at the local pawn recommended it after I mentioned I only had a shotgun in the house and was firearm naive. Easy to clean and the ammo is cheap enough. Not too bad in the pocket on occasion either. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%