Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another....even worse idea: KHHT

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Another....even worse idea: KHHT
on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:15 AM
We've booked, deposits paid and confirmed!  :ahhh

Before the first birdie farts morning 13 May 2018 we set off on the 90Km+ Khomas Highland Hiking trail......6 days and we took the backpack rather than slackpack option  :whistle:

I'm relatively fit, been a few weeks but I can do a 15km hike without hurting the next day, but that's without 25kg on the back and over slightly rougher terrain in places.

I have about 15Kg I would like to loose, and I plan on going in with stronger legs than on the previous hike.

So far we're four persons, my regular hiking buddy, his wife and a friend of hers.

About 6 months to get ready, let's see how this one turns out  :rofl:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Another....even worse idea: KHHT
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 08:24:37 AM
:popcorn:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 12:17:13 PM
Can't wait to hear about this one GG :like:

The excitement really did build around your last long trek like this :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 01:31:03 PM
 :cheers:
You can be my weight watchers!  :rofl:

And   :cheers: is a problem  :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 02:22:04 PM
That's awesome!  I can't wait to see the pics from another adventure!

Just a quick look at the map shows this might be a bit difficult in some spots, so I am really looking forward to heading how you manage!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 01:20:40 PM
This is the best review I've found: http://www.landscapesnamibia.org/windhoek-green-belt/khomas-hochland-hiking-trail-description

We've been told previous hikers rate it tougher than the Fish River, but we'll have the advantage of better weather and we're used to that kind of terrain.

I'm hesitant about the climbing that seems to be involved, especially with the backpack on.

It seems I need these challenges to get myself exercising, really bad at self-motivation without a slightly pucker-inducing  goal  :facepalm:

I'm really excited to stretch the legs again, just as much using what I learned in the Fish River regarding food and my kit.  :gimme:

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 08:10:19 AM
So, I'm officially in deep water  :facepalm:

I've paid the entire cost of the hike, but I haven't lost 1kg, last Sunday hike 3 weeks ago we only did 11Km and I came to a halt in the hills a few times.

13 May is looming close  :facepalm:

:facepalm:

Told myself 1st Feb I'm starting in earnest  :facepalm:

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:17:20 AM
Hiking I've heard of this, if I understand it correctly it's moving vast distances without motorised transport. It'll never catch on, 'tis but a mere fad  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 08:33:22 AM
The body is the ultimate bug out bag........

I might be struggling with motivation, but I honestly can't wait for that too-tired-to-think-no-way-but-forward feeling.....very Zen.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:53:42 AM
Is it hilly? Doing squats and lunges may help.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 01:16:29 PM
Hiking I've heard of this, if I understand it correctly it's moving vast distances without motorised transport. It'll never catch on, 'tis but a mere fad  :rofl:

I agree- It'll never catch on.

I've often thought hiking would be greatly improved with the addition of some kind of motorized transport.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 01:33:56 PM

I agree- It'll never catch on.

I've often thought hiking would be greatly improved with the addition of some kind of motorized transport.

Def
No kidding, you can get to places where you can't walk and you can bring so much more unneeded junk.
its-a-jeep-thing-you-wouldnt-understand1.jpg
* its-a-jeep-thing-you-wouldnt-understand1.jpg (Filesize: 240.69 KB)
q48o.jpg
* q48o.jpg (Filesize: 67.5 KB)

hr Offline styx

Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 04:43:04 PM
ok first of all, great idea.

now to help out with the weight loss I suggest myfitnesspal. certainly not the best or anything like that but it does offer fairly easy tracking, a community (hell even if it's just me, it would be one person that is on your smurf over it) and it is free.

second thing is physical preparedness. if you want i'll write out something that will have you cussing me out for the next 12 weeks
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:05 PM
Looking forward to this, Gerhard!

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 02:46:26 PM
Is it hilly? Doing squats and lunges may help.

Khomas HIGHLAND Hiking trail......we have a saying.......it's the kind of place where baboons use walking sticks  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 02:51:44 PM

now to help out with the weight loss I suggest myfitnesspal. certainly not the best or anything like that but it does offer fairly easy tracking, a community (hell even if it's just me, it would be one person that is on your smurf over it) and it is free.

second thing is physical preparedness. if you want i'll write out something that will have you cussing me out for the next 12 weeks

Sorry for not replying....yet, been 2 hectic days.....

I do have a diet that I follow, but I have NO willpower, so the only real option is exercise.......

Good news, I built and inaugurated my own 2018 StairMaster  :facepalm:

Did "10 minutes" in 3x3minute sessions yesterday, my legs hurt, and there are pockets of pain in my arse-cheeks like you wouldn't believe.....think I found my solution!  :cheers:

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 04:14:48 PM

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 04:26:28 PM

Sorry for not replying....yet, been 2 hectic days.....

I do have a diet that I follow, but I have NO willpower, so the only real option is exercise.......

Good news, I built and inaugurated my own 2018 StairMaster  :facepalm:

Did "10 minutes" in 3x3minute sessions yesterday, my legs hurt, and there are pockets of pain in my arse-cheeks like you wouldn't believe.....think I found my solution!  :cheers:

remember how I said you'll 'cuss me and ask if I am really that nuts? read the program and re-read your statement

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 07:00:20 AM
 :rofl:
Styx
DUDE!
I'm going for a little walk over a few hills and through a few valleys.........few kilometers in nice thick river sand, sleeping under the stars...........not signing up for the 3rd Ranger Marine Green Barrett Super Soldier program!  :rofl:

10 more minutes on the stairmaster yesterday.........now everything hurts!  :tu:

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 10:31:36 AM
what? not like I put a note in there to go on a 50 km walk with a cape buffalo on your back... although that is an interesting idea

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2018, 11:50:05 AM
Respect to you Gerhard for doing this, but my 30 mile brisk walk across Dartmoor was the end of my wanting to go bumbling around in the great outdoors  :rofl:

(with hindsight that was only the beginning).

Have fun and take care of your feet  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: February 02, 2018, 02:26:28 PM
what? not like I put a note in there to go on a 50 km walk with a cape buffalo on your back... although that is an interesting idea

By the time I'd figured out what half those exercises are the hike would be over!  :rofl:

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: February 02, 2018, 02:37:21 PM
Respect to you Gerhard for doing this, but my 30 mile brisk walk across Dartmoor was the end of my wanting to go bumbling around in the great outdoors  :rofl:

It stressed me because I was in fat&lazy&unmotivated mode the whole of January, and I wanted to be in better shape than I was for the previous hike......this one is two days and 30km longer....

When I think about being too tired to care about the world and all it's smurf, I can barely wait.....

I also have a burning need to walk the Naukluft, that's over 100km in very tough terrain.

Friends of mine, couple in the 40's, have had the hiking evolve into ultra marathons.

Last year they hiked the Naukluft, straight on to the Fish River hike, and ran the Fish River Ultra less than a month later.  He's athletic and in good shape for 45....she's rather short.  :D  His time for the Ultra was 9hours, she did it in 14 hours.....that's 60-70km.  :rofl:

We have no idea what we are capable of.......push and find out.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #23 on: February 02, 2018, 02:48:31 PM

It stressed me because I was in fat&lazy&unmotivated mode the whole of January, and I wanted to be in better shape than I was for the previous hike......this one is two days and 30km longer....

When I think about being too tired to care about the world and all it's smurf, I can barely wait.....

I also have a burning need to walk the Naukluft, that's over 100km in very tough terrain.

Friends of mine, couple in the 40's, have had the hiking evolve into ultra marathons.

Last year they hiked the Naukluft, straight on to the Fish River hike, and ran the Fish River Ultra less than a month later.  He's athletic and in good shape for 45....she's rather short.  :D  His time for the Ultra was 9hours, she did it in 14 hours.....that's 60-70km.  :rofl:

We have no idea what we are capable of.......push and find out.

That's the idea, mind over matter, you don't mind so it don't matter.

Just to put my brisk walk in context, I did it in winter, carrying a 40lb ruck and a rifle and you had to complete it in less that 8 hours. Character building  :D

I still walk 15km a day just for fun, I don't run any more unless it's on treadmill

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 02, 2018, 02:54:34 PM
I still walk 15km a day just for fun, I don't run any more unless it's on treadmill

???  You should find a pub that's closer to home!  :pok:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 03:04:51 PM

???  You should find a pub that's closer to home!  :pok:

Lol the pub is next door, I don't drink any more, liver disease does that (I'm not being snarky, you weren't to know). I'm lucky in that I live in a part of the southern UK that hasn't yet been completely destroyed by roads and houses. A 30 second walk from my front door is nothing but open countryside.  :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 03:16:38 PM
Sorry about the liver issues. Stable? Chronic? I hope those aren't bothering you. And glad you can get out for some clean fun.

And I too have the fortune to be able to walk out my door into some open country!

hr Offline styx

Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 03:33:35 PM

By the time I'd figured out what half those exercises are the hike would be over!  :rofl:

Well I'm here to explain anything you don't understand

Sorry about the liver issues. Stable? Chronic? I hope those aren't bothering you. And glad you can get out for some clean fun.

And I too have the fortune to be able to walk out my door into some open country!

(Image removed from quote.)

damn that is beautiful country. I'm jealous

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 04, 2018, 03:12:50 PM
Did a 10km this morning....up the hill & round the back.........sure wish I had your view Nix!

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 03:15:50 PM
My home town.....

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86