Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another....even worse idea: KHHT

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Another....even worse idea: KHHT
Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 03:21:17 PM
Sorry about the liver issues. Stable? Chronic? I hope those aren't bothering you. And glad you can get out for some clean fun.

Don't know, I'll know more tomorrow  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 07:16:36 PM
Did a 10km this morning....up the hill & round the back.........sure wish I had your view Nix!

Is that a harness on the dog? I'm sure riding the dog for 10km is cheating....  :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: February 05, 2018, 07:11:37 AM
 :rofl:
No harness....I think what you're seeing is a left-over frame holding signs for the various races they have here.

I out-weight the dog my 100Kg and after conversion he's 20 years my senior.......he sleep inside these days :)

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 07:13:31 AM

All the best, fingers crossed  :salute:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 01:32:35 PM

All the best, fingers crossed  :salute:

Cheers Gerhard, I'm off for the scan now, I doubt I'll find out anything today  :salute:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: March 28, 2018, 09:31:27 AM
Month and a half to go.....my preparations have not been great  :oops:

Last Sunday I added weight on our normal 10km hike, had 18kg+ on my back, and no soreness or stiffness on Monday.  This is the problem, general fitness is okay, so the approach seems to be studying the night before the exam.  :facepalm:

This year has not been kind to the members of the group, the daily grind cab be a motivation killer.

I am however a solid 130kg, so 20kg more than I wanted to weigh going in  :facepalm:

Fortunately I have most of what I need, upgraded to a Oztrail Giga Mat, and got a 4L MSR water bladder.  The bladder was expensive, but that is understandable....but the pipe (sold separately) that goes with it is extortion.....theft by brandname  :facepalm:

My FAK needs a few items replaced, need an extra pair of socks and I want to get tights for this hike.

Learnt a lot on the previous hike w.r.t food, we've been debating how to approach things this time, specifically in the mornings, but a lot depends on how the weather will be.

My feeling is our change of seasons has moved about a month, so no idea what to expect from what is supposed to be early winter.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 01:35:15 PM
As usual, I am impressed by your prep for doing this.  It is so much more than I can physically do, but the kind of thing I want to do anyway!   :ahhh

For some inspiration, check these guys out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwIKZhrdt4

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 30, 2018, 10:41:03 AM
Well, less than 2 weeks to go  :facepalm:

As far as the team is concerned, my cousin is joining us so we're up to 4.

The couple.....well, Mrs can down with mumps, and they just finished moving house this week  :ahhh

I've got all the equipment laid out on my living room floor, bough a few extra pieces of clothing, and the food is about 80% sorted out.

We had some family visit, and my aunt mentioned how my dad hated washing the coffee bags improvised from flour sacks......which gave me an idea.  I bought some fancy salt that came in a little cloth bag, tested it and made perfect coffee, so that problem is solved  :salute:

Too little too late, but when I go for walks I have an old backpack with 2 x 10Kg dumbbells and 5L water bottle in, so my goal is simply to keep my pack below 25Kg.

This does not compensate for the 10Kg extra I'm carrying around my gut, but that's the best I can do.

Further preparations included finally getting the guts together to stop at a complete stranger's house and asking if I can buy some bamboo  :facepalm:
That was Saturday......been meaning to for months.

On my previous hike I carried a walking stick that would make Ray Mears proud.....but it weighs 1.1Kg  :facepalm:  In my left hand I had a modern aluminium walking stick.  Problem is, those can't take my weight when I fall, so it's just there for balance.
The big stick that can take my weight is heavy and unwieldy when I'm climbing with it tied to the pack....

Got the idea for bamboo from another group during the previous hike.

So.......turns out the house is owned by a gent of far eastern decent, didn't ask where but he's been here since 1983 so it doesn't matter anymore  :D

He was very impressed with my Opinel saw, got one nice straight piece and one not so nice........paid a reasonable price and had a nice chat  :cheers:

I know  :facepalm:

:worthless:

The last few weeks have been tough, buried my dog, fighting motherless allergies, and the knives just don't seem to want to finish themselves  :facepalm:

I plan something special for my bamboo walking sticks, will post some pics of the process and the rest of my kit.

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 30, 2018, 10:47:05 AM
As usual, I am impressed by your prep for doing this.  It is so much more than I can physically do, but the kind of thing I want to do anyway!   :ahhh

Def

We're doing the study-the-night-before-the-exam version of this hike.......which is longer and tougher than our first hike  :facepalm:

Laziness is part of it, and the previous hike being our first we were scared and prepared better.

Life happens and things rarely go according to plan, at least this hike will be in milder temperatures and evac in needed will be less of an issue.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: April 30, 2018, 10:51:48 AM
You probably know already... you can heat bamboo over hot ashes then use a little pressure to straighten out the kinks.

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: April 30, 2018, 12:07:48 PM
You probably know already... you can heat bamboo over hot ashes then use a little pressure to straighten out the kinks.

Maybe somewhere in File 13....but thanks for the reminder.

I guess it works better while still green?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #41 on: April 30, 2018, 01:07:07 PM
Perhaps you were just bamboozled.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 01:45:13 PM

That was a good one but I am still going to  :facepalm:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: April 30, 2018, 03:16:00 PM

Well, I'm sure if I just asked if I could have some, he never would've bother locking up his pack of guard dogs  :whistle:

He's growing Dragon fruit in every single open space in that yard......he was impressed that I even knew what they were  :facepalm:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: April 30, 2018, 03:32:43 PM

Maybe somewhere in File 13....but thanks for the reminder.

I guess it works better while still green?

Either or, dry works too.

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 09, 2018, 11:55:14 AM
I haven't been touching ground, not just the hike's preparations, life has been on the hectic side.

I have a few knives from December that are finally done, and a new one I'm busy with that I really wanted to share.....will have to wait.

We've had a complication, the only lady in the group had her leave cancelled or something, I'm a 40+ bachelor so the workings of women are a mystery to me.

If my cousin didn't decide to join us rather last minute the hike would've been a bust, as things stand we are below the 4-person limit for the 6-day hike  :facepalm: but seems they'll allow it.....

Walking sticks....

Over the weekend I used epoxy putty to fix in wood dowels as feet, yesterday after work I used cloth and polyester resin (like for micarta) to reinforce the feet, as well and making grips that also hold wrist straps......will see this afternoon if that was a success.

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 09, 2018, 12:05:11 PM
Been wanting to post photos, but for now I'll do an equipment list for those interested and to double check myself:

Clothes:
#13 Merrel smurfkickers mile-eaters  :D
#13 Crocs
6 pairs wool socks (Falke)
From here on everything is as synthetic as can be....
6 pair ankle height stockings
3 x tights
2 x shorts
3 x long sleeve shirts
1 x long pants
2 x Fleeces

Sleeping gear:
1 x ground sheet (actually cheap re-purposed sun shade)
1 x high quality emergency blanket
1 x -15 sleeping bag
1 x inflatable cushion
1 x TTTM hammock (I'm hopeful of a few more comfortable nights)
1 x Oztrail Gigamat

Knives & eating utensils
1 x Mora bushcraft black
1 x Spyderco Salt 1
1 x SS fork & spoon combo

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 09, 2018, 12:15:44 PM
Food:

I made up 6 day packs containing the following:
2 x tuna in foil packs
2 x rolls of Super-C sweets
3 x Rehydrats
2 x Eno's
1 x baggie of Almonds, mango strips, pieces of ginger and dried peaches (DIY trail mix)
2 x large PVM energy bars
1 x small PVM energy bar

Apart from that I'll have the following:
Coffee......the real stuff, made a plan with a little cloth bag that I'll fill up and cook....works a treat
5 x packets of instant oats
6 x meaty baggies containing Kudu biltong, 2 chunky spicy dry sausages, 2 slightly more traditional kabanossi.

I'm considering 1 or 2 of those instant hiker meals, but I believe I have enough to feed a small Ethiopian village already  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 09, 2018, 12:29:29 PM
Side & top pockets.....

Four side pockets carry the following:

Toiletry bag & FAK

3 x 750ml SS bottles, 2 for extra water and the other full of whiskey  :cheers:

Stove & gas bottle

Cooking container with coffee & stuff inside with some more toiletries.

4L MSR is my main water carrier, we shouldn't need to filter the water, but I'm taking the mimi Sawyer as well as Aqua Salveo drops that I add to most all my drinking water anyway. Part of this "kit" is recycled empty 1.5L water bottle for when/if I need to use the Sawyer.

Top pocket will carry a lot of misc stuff, some listed already but they'll ride in there:

Mora
Compass
Poncho
Cellphone(s)
Battery bank
Head light
Back-up  flashlight
Fire making kit with lighter, ferro rod, mag bar, emergency matches
.....few other things I'm forgetting no doubt  :think:

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 09, 2018, 12:31:58 PM
The good news for me so far, weighed the bag with all the clothes and food, and only came to 15Kg.
That means with the MSR full and the whiskey loaded I should be right on 20Kg.
I went down into the Fish River canyon with a crazt 32Kg on my back, looks like the goal of >25Kg is attainable.  :salute:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #50 on: May 09, 2018, 01:46:43 PM
Interesting kit list. :tu:  I love picking holes in other people's gear choices...

Looks like you have a lot of clothing.  Can you afford to bin some duplicates?  Will you get chance to wash any of what you're carrying?  Do any of your companions care if you don't? :D
Do you need the cushion and the sleep mat?
Ground sheet AND Hammock?

hr Offline styx

Reply #51 on: May 09, 2018, 02:34:40 PM
interesting list. I'll have to go through it a few more times to actually have a creative response
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 09, 2018, 02:35:19 PM
 :salute: pick away.....good part of the excuse for doing so much typing  :rofl:

Yes I could.  2nd pair of short pants is really just a back-up, but there's nothing to them, basically there to preserve my dignity (tights  :facepalm: )
I could wash the socks and take 3 pair, but there's the chance of them not drying out and/ore needing more than one pair per day.
The fleeces are the only bulky items, I do need both on a winters morning, and we might get some late rain as well.

The cushion....I would go as far as saying I need a bigger one.  I'm big and heavy, I'll be hurting from sleeping on the ground, no doubt there.
The hammock is unnecessary, but also my only hope of more comfortable sleep, but no way to be sure I'll have place to hang it.

I forgot something......there's a mozzie stuffed in there as well.

The "ground sheet" and the hammock are both extremely light, the emergency blanket is a bit bulky and maybe the item to drop......

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: May 09, 2018, 02:36:58 PM
Do any of your companions care if you don't? :D

My experience......between our feet and the effect of the synthetic material, we'll be stinking to high heaven  :rofl:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #54 on: May 09, 2018, 03:04:16 PM
Ah, winter. Wrong hemisphere!  :facepalm: 

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: May 09, 2018, 03:32:52 PM
Yip  :cheers:

And funny how cold hot places can get with the wrong gear.....  :oops:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: May 09, 2018, 03:49:47 PM
Sounding fantastic mate. :tu:   Food is the one aspect I never seem to get quite right. :-\  I can only think of one time I've found myself wishing I'd brought more, but I've cursed myself for bringing stuff I've not eaten and resented the weight of carrying it around. 

Not aimed at you, but a more general thought:  I've learned not to take many back-up or duplicate items, especially if you're working with a group.  It's all to easy to end up carrying 6 extra flashlights in the group for absolutely no good reason.  Worth co-ordinating with the whole group to make sure you're not carrying a couple of kilos of extras that everyone else has as well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: May 23, 2018, 08:18:28 AM
Sounding fantastic mate. :tu:   Food is the one aspect I never seem to get quite right. :-\  I can only think of one time I've found myself wishing I'd brought more, but I've cursed myself for bringing stuff I've not eaten and resented the weight of carrying it around. 

Not aimed at you, but a more general thought:  I've learned not to take many back-up or duplicate items, especially if you're working with a group.  It's all to easy to end up carrying 6 extra flashlights in the group for absolutely no good reason.  Worth co-ordinating with the whole group to make sure you're not carrying a couple of kilos of extras that everyone else has as well.

Almost prophetic Gareth  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: May 23, 2018, 08:47:59 AM
I'll start with the bad part, the trail is basically a figure 8, and at the 2nd camp that's in the middle, we decided to cut out day 3&4 and walk day 5&6.

To take a step back, we started just after 7am from Düsternbrook  Game farm, and the first part was amazing, not even sure how many types of antelope but we were walking inbetween the herds....very cool.

This didn't last, very soon the trail took us into the hills, and pretty soon we were huffing and puffing.  We joked about the hiker's pose, where you bend and the waist, extend your arms supported by the walking sticks.....just to get the weight off your shoulders.......nobody teaches you that, everybody just does it!  :rofl:

Still, by 14:30 pm we were in the first camp, much sooner than expected.  This camp was on a hilltop and very nice.......and had place for the hammock(s)

Bringing me nicely to the major problem we had on this hike: sleep.  :facepalm:

Three things went wrong for me, had a PVM energy bar for a midnight snack, the convection issue with hammocks bit me despite the -15C sleeping bag.......and my 2 fellow hikers snored to high heaven.......I didn't close an eye  :facepalm:

Second day was only 7.5km, but most of it was scrambling up rocks in a gully.  Started after 8am and we were in the camp well before noon. Here we messed up, there was a lot to see in this stretch and we basically ran past most of it.

This camp was fully functional and had everything we needed, but it was in a valley next to a riverbed, everything was new and the camp lacked personality.  We also realised it would be cold......

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: May 23, 2018, 09:33:50 AM
Now for the equipment failures.....

Being 10kg heavier than when I bought it, I couldn't get the sleeping bag zipped up over my shoulders....there simply isn't space to move my hand and arm.......so a seem tore loose.

Other Gerhard's sleeping bag's zip failed completely, he had no recourse but trying to sleep with the broken zip below him.

My cousin........wrong shoes.  :facepalm: He got nailed by grass seeds and other tag-alongs, he tried to tape up his shoes but nothing we had was very effective.

So, after a 2nd uncomfortable nights, knowing a cold front and possible late rain was predicted, we chickened out and took the 4-day route.....

We started early, but for the first time the trail markers were problematic, we spent about an hour looking for the start of the trail, and lost it several times during the day, one time it even looked like we'd have no choice but back-tracking.  We spent the most of the day walking, and this is where it's most obvious the distances they provide are off.
As soon as we were out of the hills we were on trail where we knew we were averaging 9km/h.....and on and on we walked long after their 3km was up :facepalm:

Anyway, this brought us to the Monte Christo Treehouse, by far the best accommodation, fitting for the last night.

Here, in the hammock, lined with the space blanket, I had a night's sleep that had my willing to start the trail again!

By about 3pm that afternoon and a bit more swearing about the incorrect distances, we were back at home base.

I'd had an issue with my left sock earlier, figured out my insoles weren't in the greatest shape.  Then the right foot started.......assumed more of the same.

ALWAYS CHECK.......found out at home I'd done 5km with a thorn just poking through my sole, eating me and causing a blister on the ball of my foot just behind my big toe.  :facepalm: 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%