Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger evolution 511 vs Victorinox Deluxe Tinker. A photographic comparison.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Greetings guys!
I recently purchased a Wenger evolution 511. Sadly Wenger doesn't produce SAKs anymore, so I took the opportunity to share a few photos of it comparing with the Victorinox Deluxe Tinker.

Let us begin with a size comparison.

The Wenger is a few millimeters shorter, and slightly thicker due to its ergonomic scales.

Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI VNS-L31 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Then we move on to the Phillips.
They are very similar. The Victorinox can host a needle, the Wenger cannot.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

The reamer of the Wenger is a joke, compared to the Victorinox one. It isn't sharp.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

The bottle openers / screwdrivers are similar. The Wenger screwdriver is slightly smaller and doesn't lock at 90 degrees. But if you apply force it moves back and locks!

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

The scissors use a different mechanism and the Ones from Wenger are serrated.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

The pliers use also each brand's mechanism. It's noteworthy that when using the Victorinox pliers and scissors one handle stays fixed, while the Wenger ones move a bit.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

The small blades. Similar on the edge, but different on the shape.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

The bid blades. Obviously the Victorinox one is bigger, while the Wenger one has more belly. Both are wickedly sharp.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

And now the tweezers and toothpicks. I like the way Wenger hides them, reducing the chance of losing them.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

I hope you enjoyed it guys, have fun!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
 :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Cool comparo Sakpan, thanks!  :cheers:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Nice comparison Sakpan74Gr   gr!  :like: :tu: :tu:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Excellent pictures!

it Offline Mini

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Nice photo-essay, Sakpan!  :like:

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

:like:

What´s the final verdict on these two?
I have carried and used the Deluxe Tinker a lot, and liked it. I haven't used the Wenger yet, it is brand new, so I cannot really say for sure.
 As a first impression, both sizes are fine, the blades and scissors are equal against paper.
The Wenger can opener looks promising as a scraper, box cutter, and as a blade to use against thinks that would abuse an ordinary blade.
The Victorinox can opener is also an inline Phillips, which the Wenger lacks.
The Victorinox awl is way better, but the Wenger compensates to a degree with its can opener.
So I'd say that both are winners.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Nice job.  I'd agree both are winners.  I'm not sure why Wenger didn't make an awl that was sharp? 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline EMZ

An awl is better suited to open tied knots than a reamer is. The sharpened edge of the reamer will cut and damage the rope. The unsharpened awl will not do that very easily.
So it all depends on what you find more important, an awl or a reamer.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

An awl is better suited to open tied knots than a reamer is. The sharpened edge of the reamer will cut and damage the rope. The unsharpened awl will not do that very easily.
So it all depends on what you find more important, an awl or a reamer.
I always wondered what is the difference between an awl and a reamer! English isn't my first language. Thanks for the tip.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Thanks EMZ.  That puts it in perfect perspective.   :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline EMZ

Oh BTW, thanks for this useful review!!
I wonder why Victorinox doesn't use on all its models Wenger's incredible good locks on the screwdrivers.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Oh BTW, thanks for this useful review!!
I wonder why Victorinox doesn't use on all its models Wenger's incredible good locks on the screwdrivers.
You're welcome!
I wonder that as well. And why Victorinox doesn't offer evolution and evolution dual grip scales.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Tell you what, guys! I have a Wenger S17, I´ve had it for years. I bought it way back when Wenger was still in business. So I did a quick check on the cap lifter. Yes! It locks when put under pressure! I never knew this. Goes to show how much use it gets (the cap lifter I mean).  8)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Have any of yawl ever tried to bore a hole in a piece of wood or leather with the Wenger awl?   I've done side by side comparisons of Vic vs Wenger.  It performs just as good in my opinion, maybe even better for leather...

Great thread btw! :tu:  :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ch Offline Syem

• No Life Club
Very nice side-by-side Sakpan!

I wonder that as well. And why Victorinox doesn't offer evolution and evolution dual grip scales.

But they do. Ever since they started integrating Wenger models in their knife lineup.

Another big difference is that Wenger used softer steel for their blades (not sure about the other tools). Victorinox's blades therefore have a better edge retention but will chip or snap more easily than Wenger's, which would bend more before snapping.

Of course, Victorinox-branded Wenger models now use the same (3 different) steels (I think) as the other Victorinox models.

Sadly Wenger doesn't produce SAKs anymore,
Technically they still do. The Victorinox-branded Wenger models are still produced in the old Wenger factory in Delémont by the old Wenger employees.

Also, Victorinox has recently released a Wenger-branded Wenger model (albeit in a grey Victorinox box, with Victorinox steel and blade-stamp).

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club

I suspect it's simply economies of scale (lot's of existing tooling and parts and all that jazz), or someone in Ibach shares my opinion that it's better not having that lock.

The lock is based on an enlarged hole through the tang of the tool, which is an excellent place for e.g. pocket lint to pile up in the long term. This makes the lock slow to engage and unreliable, while also grinding the pin if there is any abrasive elements in there. I EDCed the same Wenger for more than a decade, and I loved the lock at first, but after a few years I didn't really think about the driver as locking anymore.

Each to their own, but my personal opinion is that I'm really happy Victorinox hasn't ruined their drivers with an unsafe lock which increases long term wear and tear.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Thanks for the post, pictures and comparison Sakpan - Nice Work - Much appreciated  :D

But they do. Ever since they started integrating Wenger models in their knife lineup.
Also, Victorinox has recently released a Wenger-branded Wenger model (albeit in a grey Victorinox box, with Victorinox steel and blade-stamp).

Great to see the'they do'  link  :tu:  - Those pages have only recenlty been created - So it's good they're being used
- Still WIP as you can see.

The 'Wenger' also features in SAKWiki:   
http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Wenger+or+Executive+81 

:salute: 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:27:12 PM by Huntsman »

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

Very nice side-by-side Sakpan!

Another big difference is that Wenger used softer steel for their blades (not sure about the other tools). Victorinox's blades therefore have a better edge retention but will chip or snap more easily than Wenger's, which would bend more before snapping.

Of course, Victorinox-branded Wenger models now use the same (3 different) steels (I think) as the other Victorinox models.

Sadly Wenger doesn't produce SAKs anymore,
Technically they still do. The Victorinox-branded Wenger models are still produced in the old Wenger factory in Delémont by the old Wenger employees.

I had forgotten the Delemont collection, oops!
It would be nice to see original Victorinox models, like the Climber, Ranger and Craftsman offered in dual grip as well.
Great information about the steel.
I have to try the Wenger awl, to see if it's good at drilling holes. The Victorinox one is more impressive, because it is sharp.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD