Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger evolution 511 vs Victorinox Deluxe Tinker. A photographic comparison.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
So no one has tried using the Wenger awl?  ???
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
I have better luck with the Vic awl when it comes to making holes in a leather belt, but you might have a better technique for using the Wenger awl.

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
I've used the Wenger awl on wood and while it is definitely slower than using the Vic, it will get the job done :tu:

It can also be sharpened which makes it closer in efficiency to the Vic.

gr Offline Sakpan74Gr

I wonder if the file on the Cadet and other models could be sharpened to act as a blade and a file. Great mods!

Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI VNS-L31 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

nl Offline EMZ

I wonder why Victorinox doesn't use on all its models Wenger's incredible good locks on the screwdrivers.

I suspect it's simply economies of scale (lot's of existing tooling and parts and all that jazz), or someone in Ibach shares my opinion that it's better not having that lock.

The lock is based on an enlarged hole through the tang of the tool, which is an excellent place for e.g. pocket lint to pile up in the long term. This makes the lock slow to engage and unreliable, while also grinding the pin if there is any abrasive elements in there. I EDCed the same Wenger for more than a decade, and I loved the lock at first, but after a few years I didn't really think about the driver as locking anymore.

Each to their own, but my personal opinion is that I'm really happy Victorinox hasn't ruined their drivers with an unsafe lock which increases long term wear and tear.

Aha! Thanks for the explanation. So you see, every advantage has its disadvantage.

us Offline El Corkscrew

I've used the Wenger awl on wood and while it is definitely slower than using the Vic, it will get the job done :tu:

It can also be sharpened which makes it closer in efficiency to the Vic.

That's cool!  Thanks for the link. :cheers:

Maybe it's just me but I haven't found the sharpened edge on the backside Vic awl awl that useful when making holes, using a pushing and twisting motion. Also have found that the Vic awl seems to slip a little bit more than then Wenger for this action.  Without a doubt, the 93mm awl is the quickest and slightly more tapered/pointy than the Wenger awl giving it a bit of an advantage IMO.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%