Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Feedback from New SAK Users. (Spoiler: Scissors aren't the Star)

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Over the past year I have dispersed probably 50+ SAKs to friends and family.   I've been checking back in with these individuals to see what they think , if they EDC it, and what tools they use.    Long story short;  EVERYONE used at least once, MOST people carry it everyday and love it, and as far as tools go here is what I'm hearing:

1 Blade
2 awl
3 caplifter/screwdriver
4 toothpick (for general poking,not dental use)
5 Scissors

Granted, I did not give everyone a SAK with scissors.. the main models I was gifting were:  Climber, Spartan, Tourist, Super Tinker, Tinker.  Funny thing is that the scissors were not high on anyone's list.   I heard a lot of "it's nice to have but I don't really need scissors"  I even had a couple of friends ask if they could trade me their SAK with scissor for a thinner SAK without scissors..    For those who received Tinkers and Super Tinkers I asked them about the screwdrivers...  very few people reported using the backside phillips and even had a couple people saying they tried it and ended up preferring the can opener driver.

This made start thinking...  I'm a big fan of the 84/85/91mm scissors but how often could I get the task done by using the blade or the scissors on my 58mm??    I remember as a kid thinking that the Tinker had everything I need.. my thinking is more Spartan/Soldier now but I haven't strayed far from my old ways when you get right down to "What do I want/need in a SAK?"

Thoughts?
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Feedback from New SAK Users. (Spoiler: Scissors aren't the Star)
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 01:22:29 AM
Hmmmph.

I used my Rambler's scissors twice today. I really like having scissors with me.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:23:03 AM
I have been SAKMCing my PX but I think I am going back to my Wenger SI.

Same thing... rarely use the scissors and when I do they are a biotch to get out. Have even cut me once trying.

I despise backside tools. Just don’t like them.

That’s my take on it. Like you, I found I never NEED scissors. I can assomplish most tasks just fine with the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:49:28 AM
Hmmmph.

I used my Rambler's scissors twice today. I really like having scissors with me.

Oh yes,  I guess I didn't spell it out but at least a Classic on the key chain is AWLWAYS the case for me... if it's a classic I'm going for a complimentary color, but usually it's a Rambler variation (Rambler, Midnite/Manager) and every once in a while a minichamp!   The 58mm scissors are perfect for things like store tags, loose threads on clothing, opening packages etc.

Thing is, scissors are pretty much a given on a 58mm/65mm but the scissors layer does significantly thicken medium and large SAKs.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 01:53:33 AM
That's true, for sure.

Even a Farmer is thicker than a PX. But I find those scissors so useful, almost daily, that I won't carry a Soldier or Camper without also carrying a 58mm avec scissors. Whereas, I will carry a PX or Climber without being sure to pack a 58/74mm.

I like your list though. #1 has to be a blade. But I'd bump the scissors up to #2.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 02:57:53 AM
Hey Nix, think its the other way around... The PX is thicker than the Farmer... Scissors are thicker than the wood saw... :cheers:

It boils down to user preference and daily activity I guess...

I normally edc 2 saks... A scissor based 84mm/91mm/93mm and a Minichamp... For me, scissors and the Phillips are regularly used.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 03:34:45 AM
Hey Nix, think its the other way around... The PX is thicker than the Farmer... Scissors are thicker than the wood saw... :cheers:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:40:55 AM by Nix »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 03:52:57 AM

1 Blade
2 awl
3 caplifter/screwdriver
5 Scissors

:like:
That put a smile on my face for some reason.

No corkscrew?  :whistle:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 06:25:48 PM

1 Blade
2 awl
3 caplifter/screwdriver
5 Scissors

:like:
That put a smile on my face for some reason.

No corkscrew?  :whistle:

I know, right?  I guess awl my friends wear sandals and drink beer. :D

us Offline docfossil

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 06:41:27 PM
I own a number of SAKs. The only ones which I ever carried are the Vic Huntsman and Ranger. I find the scissors a most useful implement and would not carry a SAK without them.

If I fly and don't check a suitcae (only take carry-on), I will bring a SwissCard, sans blade but with scissors!
Vic Ranger and original Gerber Needle-nose Multitool = EDC
Formerly, Vic Huntsman x3
Semper Versitalis

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 06:44:53 PM
I own a number of SAKs. The only ones which I ever carried are the Vic Huntsman and Ranger. I find the scissors a most useful implement and would not carry a SAK without them.

If I fly and don't check a suitcae (only take carry-on), I will bring a SwissCard, sans blade but with scissors!

Thanks for the input doc!  :cheers:  :salute: 

I agree, the scissors are very useful.  :cheers:

gb Offline Green arrow

Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 06:59:45 PM
Yep am becoming more of a scissor fan. My thinking used to be 'why have scissors , that is what you have the blade for' but I find myself increasingly using the scissors for little tasks and really missing them if I don’t have them. Not Wenger style scissors though , just don’t seem well suited to the cutting tasks I seem to find.

us Online powernoodle

Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 07:02:35 PM

1 Blade
2 awl
3 caplifter/screwdriver
5 Scissors

I'm not buying it.  I think they've all gotten together to punk you. 

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 08:32:14 PM
Like you I'm a fan of the 91mm scissors but I've learner 90% of my scissors use can be accomplished with a 58mm or 65mm scissors.  This opens up my carry options.  I can carry a 3 layer 93 or 111mm and cut down my bulk my carrying a Classic or PTC and still have all the tools I want or need. How big of a scissors do really  need to trim a stray hair, remove a price tag or open a package? I would think most of us can get buy with a 75mm or smaller scissors.

20171119_111303.jpg
* 20171119_111303.jpg (Filesize: 171.24 KB)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:02:15 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 08:58:15 PM
...  I would think most of us can get by with a 75mm or smaller scissors.
I think so too. I love my Carver / PX / MiniChamp combo, but after carrying it for about 9 months I feel I don´t really need the PX´s scissors.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 09:06:18 PM
....I feel I don´t really need the PX´s scissors.

I presume this is because you have other scissors with you. As a "one SAK" option, the PX, Climber, or the Compact is darn tough to beat.   :climber:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 09:14:46 PM
Yes, true (even though my one SAK option would be a Huntsman).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 09:20:06 PM by Ronald Schröder »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 09:23:07 PM
Huntsman's are tough

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 09:32:36 PM
I do quite a bit of paracording and find the scissors on my Climber work great. They work better in paracord than regular scissors.  :climber:
Perception is reality

hr Offline styx

Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:15 PM
Doesn't really surprise me. A lot of tasks can be done with the blade (some even better) but the scissors are often friendlier when surrounded by easily spooked people (I refuse to call them sheeple). 2 of my favourite models could be slightly better for my needs if the scissors were there but they aren't necessary.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 10:53:17 PM
I have tried to carry SAKs without scissors, but it usually doesn't last very long. I have also tried to carry 58mm models with scissors to compliment something I was carrying without them, which also doesn't last very long. For me the 91mm scissors are a must, I use them daily for something or other, and also the pen blade, which I miss when carrying the PX. After trying so many different options I have decided that what works for me best is a stand-alone, with full size scissors and a pen blade. This narrows the field down considerably, but after so much trial and error, it comes back to my first SAK, a Super Tinker, and nowadays, a Climber. I can add layers up to a SwissChamp size, but the basics for me are met by the Climber. Everything else feels a little off in some way or another.  :salute:

Interesting that the new SAK users feel that the scissors are optional El C, I always felt otherwise.  ???

Also something as simple as trimming the tail off a zip tie is so easy with scissors and such a pain in the neck with a blade. Things like that make it a no-brainer.  :D

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: November 20, 2017, 12:24:01 AM
In my experience, the thin knife on a SAK can accomplish 95% of the tasks that scissors can accomplish and the 58mm scissors can accomplish 100% of the tasks that the 91mm scissors can. Therefore unless you really need the Hook put a 58mm on your keychain and skip the thick scissors layer on 91mm SAKs.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #23 on: November 20, 2017, 12:49:28 PM
Living where I do, I'll substitute the saw for the scissors and pack my Minichamp.  30 years ago it was dead opposite.  I think I went 20+ years without touching my Huntsman's saw.
Barry

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 02:54:53 PM
the thin knife on a SAK can accomplish 95% of the tasks that scissors can accomplish

And of that 95%, you need a surface for 95% of those tasks, can I interest you in a cutting board?  :D

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #25 on: November 20, 2017, 05:04:18 PM
This is a very interesting read.

1 Blade; this did not surprise me
2 awl; this did
3 caplifter/screwdriver; this one didn't either
4 toothpick (for general poking,not dental use); this one did surprise me!
5 Scissors; I'd expect this to be up higher.

On second thought, when I think about it. I don't really use my scissors that much either.
But I would not want to miss them on my Handyman at all. The most popular task is cutting my nails.
I use it for cutting coupons every now and then.

Why is the awl up so high? I know it's awlmazing, but 2nd place? Just like the toothpick, big surprise seeing them on this list.
To be fair my toothpick also sees a lot of use.

And no tweezers? Those things are amazing.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #26 on: November 20, 2017, 05:17:28 PM
I have a lot of art and music friends so I'm thinking they use the awl to poke and start holes when hanging/mounting stuff, maybe guitar straps..  I think the toothpick for cleaning out crevices/detail work.   The caplifter/screwdriver for mic stands and mineral water. 

I also must admit this report has been generated without the use of empirical method and is essentially hearsay.   Much information has been left out and perhaps my chronic SAK indecision has biased my input.

:D

us Offline jloden

Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 03:42:24 AM
Interesting results and feedback. I've been thinking about giving away some SAKs to family and friends too, but I've been on the fence as I'd hate for them just to sit in a drawer someplace.

The blade and awl doesn't surprise me - the awl is pointy and reasonably sharp, and people don't feel worried about ruining the edge like a blade. They may not be using it to sew leather :D but it's useful for scraping or poking.  For instance this weekend I used it to score some paint around a switchplate. Not only did that keep my blade clean, but being a thicker edge it was actually a better tool than the knife for avoiding cutting into the actual drywall.

I'm a little surprised people find that much use for the toothpick, it's gotta be the least used tool on any SAK for me. I find more uses even for a corkscrew than the toothpick.

When I started carrying an SAK again as opposed to just a folding knife, I was really surprised how often I reached for the scissors. Mostly stuff the blade can do instead in a pinch to be sure, but there's so many times scissors do a better [and usually safer] job. Cutting loose threads or tags, trimming paper and tape, that sort of stuff.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #28 on: November 21, 2017, 06:11:46 AM
Interesting results and feedback. I've been thinking about giving away some SAKs to family and friends too, but I've been on the fence as I'd hate for them just to sit in a drawer someplace.

The blade and awl doesn't surprise me - the awl is pointy and reasonably sharp, and people don't feel worried about ruining the edge like a blade. They may not be using it to sew leather :D but it's useful for scraping or poking.  For instance this weekend I used it to score some paint around a switchplate. Not only did that keep my blade clean, but being a thicker edge it was actually a better tool than the knife for avoiding cutting into the actual drywall.

I'm a little surprised people find that much use for the toothpick, it's gotta be the least used tool on any SAK for me. I find more uses even for a corkscrew than the toothpick.

When I started carrying an SAK again as opposed to just a folding knife, I was really surprised how often I reached for the scissors. Mostly stuff the blade can do instead in a pinch to be sure, but there's so many times scissors do a better [and usually safer] job. Cutting loose threads or tags, trimming paper and tape, that sort of stuff.

I’d be happy to receive a SAK, if you have a spare and I promise to use it:)

In all honesty I actually think that the Climber is the ideal knife for everyday use.  The double blades are useful, the Corkscrew is nice to have and the scissors always come in handy. Not sure why people would use the awl more than the scissors.

“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #29 on: November 21, 2017, 06:26:24 AM
Feedback update:

One vote for scissors, caplifter/screwdriver, backside Phillips

Screws the data!!!! :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%