Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Huh. Surge failure

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Huh. Surge failure
on: November 19, 2017, 08:39:22 PM
First off, the Surge is fine.

Second, in a fit of rage, the blade was thrown over the bank.  :( I should be on the naughty step

So, my tool for the past week has been my Surge while waiting for a new sheath for my Rebar. I have liked the Surge, it's just on the large side. But I haven't admitted this in public- I don't trust the blade changer on the saw. It's too wide, so normal t-shank saw blades don't work well, they wiggle, which means they will bend or they will break. Which is a pity.

Well, I just picked up a larger tool box so I can consolidate one box and two bags, and I was going to cut a new tray for it- use rigid foam and cut outs for my drills and their power packs, along with a few other things. Everything else goes underneath. Pink board insulation isn't the strongest of stuff, so I was going use a piece of quarter inch MDF that I have to be the tray proper. Got the foam cut to where it moves up and down without binding, cut the pvc that I'll use as standoffs under the tray. The Surge performs fine. And I go to cut the mdf- few strokes, about a quarter inch in and the saw binds. I don't have a power saw where I am, so I'm using my Surge. Back up and try again. It binds and it bends.

ARRRGGGG!!!!!!!!

Like I said, by the time I got it free from the bit holder, I was pissed. And I've got a nice bank to throw things over, so... Inappropriate tool use.

The Surge is fine. But I'm thinking I don't like it as much as I did.

Has anyone ever rage quit from the Surge?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Re: Huh. Surge failure
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 08:48:59 PM
Has anyone ever rage quit from the Surge?

No, I try not to get angry and the surge has been my go to multi for may years now
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:21:07 PM
Sawing anything when you're in a bad temper is guaranteed 100% to end in disaster. I've thrown stuff in a rage and had stuff thrown at me, but never thrown a multitool... or any tool i liked...  :think:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:05:02 PM
Surges are best thrown when it is a person you are angry at...

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:18:53 AM
Clarification- the saw blade bent. The saw blade flew.

The Surge is sitting on my bed with the file in place. I think part of what happened is when I got my Surge, it was second hand and there was no blade so I've used standard t-shank blades.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:25:06 AM
Yeah, people say Leatherman fixed the wiggle on the later ones with the spring, but nah, they still wiggle.
Maybe get the spare blade from Leatherman?

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:40 AM
The Surge saw cuts on the pull, so quit wiggling it to make it cut faster. :pok: :D
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 04:12:17 AM
I am more of a new construction guy and fixing things is not my favorite thing to do sometimes  :whistle:

I tend to throw many things when working on most things that aren't brick, block and rock :D

Well I have thrown some of those things over the years as well :facepalm:

hr Offline styx

Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:29:11 AM
Well damn. Thanks for telling us what happened. Certainly puts the Surge or Wave thoughts back in my head
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

england Offline Kev D

Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 10:03:41 AM
That brings back memories. Since I switched to using a bosch progressor blade (T234X) or similar, that have a very similar tooth pattern to the woodsaw blade that comes with a surge I haven't had a problem. 

The standard inline ones don't seem to clear the cut well enough and heat up fast and either bend or bind, and end up thrown across the room followed by a rage quit to get a mini battery circular saw  :rant:  :twak:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 05:07:04 PM
A long time ago I learnt a valuable lesson about throwing things in a fit of rage - don't do it with anything you might want to use again later.  I think I was about 12 or 13, and was trying to fix a puncture on my bicycle.  Unfortunately the thorn of a three corner jack was still in the tyre so every time I "fixed it" the thorn made a new puncture.  After the 3rd time I completely lost it and heaved my bike some distance (even back then as a youngster I was pretty strong). 

Of course it broke something expensive when it landed, my mother happened to be watching, and she told me that usually she would pay to fix my bike when things broke, but because I had lost my temper and caused the damage this time I had to pay to fix it with my money ( I had a part time job then).  Since then I have very rarely thrown things while in a temper, and even then it was only ever something that I was never going to try to fix again.  Mostly I just walk away and wait until I have calmed down enough to think (slightly) rationally once more.

The other useful lesson I learnt from that experience was to try and figure out what had gone wrong before attempting a fix, and if you fix something properly the first time (eg by removing the previously mentioned thorn) then you will only have to fix it once.  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:56 PM
I am more of a new construction guy and fixing things is not my favorite thing to do sometimes  :whistle:

I tend to throw many things when working on most things that aren't brick, block and rock :D

Well I have thrown some of those things over the years as well :facepalm:

I occasionally drop-kick things - quite satisfying... especially left over parts i don't want found.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:50 PM
When I get frustrated, I usually just walk away from it for a few minutes and come back to it when I have calmed down. But, there is the fact, my job is restoring/repairing/refinishing quite valuable antiques. If I throw a 150 year old drum desk(push it over would be more accurate..kind of heavy),  then that would be a month's wages or more. I gots da incentives to keep my cool.  8)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 08:45:10 PM
I've had issues with the blade exchanger as well. The new design only increased tool thickness. My solution is a heat shrink shim.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%