Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Tread LT

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Leatherman Tread LT
on: November 21, 2017, 03:54:23 AM
Check this review for for run on sentences and errors please,  been a long day lol. I'll add pictures when daylight permits.

In an ever changing world companies like Leatherman are forced to innovate and diversify in order to stay competitive. Leatherman CEO Ben Rivera took the company in a new direction back in 2015 and released the Leatherman Tread multitool. The Tread was a tool born out of necessity for Ben on a trip to a theme park and his current tool was not allowed in the park. The Tread has gotten a lot of press in the last couple years; some positive and some negative. One fact that remains is that it's still a hot seller for the historic tool company.

The original Tread is an interesting tool; take multiple drivers that folks may use on a daily basis and make them in a wearable form that doesn't raise the eyebrows of local security. The idea was quite ingenious if not a little crazy. The downside to this design is that the tool was extremely heavy for most users and when it was adjusted to fit your wrist you lost some of the functionality intended by the design of the tool. Leatherman decided to make some refinements to the overall design and tackle issues some folks had with the tool. The result was a Tread that was put on a diet yet still retained the same functionality as the original tool.

The Tread LT (Tread Light) is still a heavy tool weighing in at 5.5oz/156g with all the links attached and out of the box is 8.56in/21.74cm in circumference. At first glance it appears to be the same tool that came out two years ago, spending more time with it I see the changes that Leatherman has made to the tool albeit small.

The Tread still retains the functionality in the first Tread tool. It comes with 25 various drivers and cutouts that can handle an assortment of tasks throughout the day. What has changed the most about this tool is the weight and the width. One of the chief complaints about the original was it was too heavy and it felt wide on your wrist. Shaving 30% of the overall width of each link also allowed the tool to drop 10% of its weight. This may sound like it doesn't make much of a difference but I feel it's a big enough difference that I wear it more often than I ever did the original.

The LT feels very much like a watch and due to the narrower links it is about the same width as one as well. I still get some comments about it, people intrigued wondering what it is but overall it's not talked about as much as it normally has been. I am glad actually, some of the comments I would receive were somewhat negative and asked if I was into things I would rather not mention here.

My main complaint about this tool as well as is predecessors is the fact that there are no fine adjustments one can do to make the tool the correct size. The Tread is comprised of 1/2 inch links with one 1/4 inch link in the middle. According to Leatherman a person can adjust the tool in those increments to make the tool more comfortable. This poses a challenge for some like myself because the tool is either too tight or too loose on my wrist making things very frustrating. Only option I had to fix this was to get an extended link via a 3rd party company called Chronolinks. Now my Tread is way more comfortable around my wrist and gets worn more than my original ever did.

The LT has all the same functionality of the original (all 25 functions) but it seems they have made some slight adjustments to some of the implements, maybe tweaking the design. Being narrower some links have been strengthened and modified to stand up to everyday tasks.

The Tread is designed to be a multitool when either a standard one isn't available or one simply isn't allowed due to security. A lot of people compare the Tread to it's plier-packing brothers but is an unfair comparison. This niche tool was created for a specific reason similar to the Leatherman Signal and should not be treated as a do-it-all multitool. In spite of some limitations because of design elements I feel the Tread works extremely well.

Overall the Tread LT is a welcomed addition to the Tread line and I appreciate the changes Leatherman has made to the tool. They've addressed customer concerns and tried to appease to a wider audience. This unique tool is already a part of many edc setups and the LT would make a great addition to yours.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:54:19 AM by David Bowen »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Re: Leatherman Tread LT
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:29:24 AM
The original Tread is an interesting tool, take multiple drivers

I don't like the comma there. Break the sentence up with ; or . or :

The Tread still retains the functionality in the first Tread tool, it comes with 25 various drivers

Same here. Full stop is better.

two years ago, spending more time

two years ago. Spending more time

to drop 10% of it's weight

to drop 10% of its weight

My main chief complaint about this tool as well as is predecessors

My main chief complaint about this tool as well as its predecessors
(maybe drop "chief" too)

the fact that there are to fine adjustments

Is it supposed to be two?

in the middle, according to Leatherman

in the middle. According to Leatherman

too tight or too lose on my wrist

too tight or too loose on my wrist

Only option I had to fix this is

Only option I had to fix this was

Being more narrow

Being narrower

modified to stand up to  everyday tasks.

modified to stand up to everyday tasks.
(two spaces after "to")

compare the Tread to it's plier packing brothers but is an unfair comparison

compare the Tread to its plier-packing brothers but it is an unfair comparison

a do-it-all multitool

a do it all multitool

For what's is design purpose is

For what its design purpose is

They've addressed customers concerns

customers' concerns or customer concerns

the LT would a great addition to yours.

would be/make
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 05:53:45 AM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:58:26 AM
Thanks brother, felt we needed a review of this but being tired and typing a review on my phone it wasn't prefect  :facepalm: I appreciate your help, I made those recommend changes.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:01:45 AM
No problem. I know how it is.  :tu:

I kept editing stuff in my post, so I don't know if you corrected everything.

I could go through the reviews on the main site and proof-read them if you want.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:09:00 AM
I think they've been proof read for the most part. I can't modify the main page content like I used too. Micah does a great job at making sure stuff looks right before it's up for everyone to see. 

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:27:32 AM
The Tread still retains the functionality in the first Tread tool.

Change in to of

-----------------------------------------------------------
Leatherman decided to make some refinements to the overall design and tackle the issues some folks had with the original tool.

add the and original

The Only option I had to fix

add The

I would reword this sentence: The LT has all the same functionality of the original (all 25 functions) but it seems they have made some slight adjustments to some of the implements, maybe tweaking the design.

The LT has all the same functionality of the original model(all 25 functions) but it seems Leatherman has made some slight adjustments to some of the implements, and tweaked the design.

A lot of people compare the Tread to it's plier-packing brothers but, it's an unfair comparison.

add a comma and it's

They've addressed customer concerns and tried to appease to a wider audience.

remove to or change it to tried to appeal to a wider audience
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:49:18 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 01:50:37 PM
I'm never this bad,  need to go to grammer school or something. I'm so embarrassed....

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 04:08:41 PM
For some reason I can't edit my original post so I'll cut and paste to here. Think I got everything.

In an ever changing world companies like Leatherman are forced to innovate and diversify in order to stay competitive. Leatherman CEO Ben Rivera took the company in a new direction back in 2015 and released the Leatherman Tread multitool. The Tread was a tool born out of necessity for Ben on a trip to a theme park and his current tool was not allowed in the park. The Tread has gotten a lot of press in the last couple years; some positive and some negative. One fact that remains is that it's still a hot seller for the historic tool company.

The original Tread is an interesting tool; take multiple drivers that folks may use on a daily basis and make them in a wearable form that doesn't raise the eyebrows of local security. The idea was quite ingenious if not a little crazy. The downside to this design is that the tool was extremely heavy for most users and when it was adjusted to fit your wrist you lost some of the functionality intended by the design of the tool. Leatherman decided to make some refinements to the overall design and tackle issues some folks had with the tool. The result was a Tread that was put on a diet yet still retained the same functionality as the original tool.

The Tread LT (Tread Light) is still a heavy tool weighing in at 5.5oz/156g with all the links attached and out of the box is 8.56in/21.74cm in circumference. At first glance it appears to be the same tool that came out two years ago, spending more time with it I see the changes that Leatherman has made to the tool albeit small. 

The Tread still retains the functionality of the first Tread tool. It comes with 25 various drivers and cutouts that can handle an assortment of tasks throughout the day. What has changed the most about this tool is the weight and the width. One of the chief complaints about the original was it was too heavy and it felt wide on your wrist. Shaving 30% of the overall width of each link also allowed the tool to drop 10% of its weight. This may sound like it doesn't make much of a difference but I feel it's a big enough difference that I wear it more often than I ever did the original.

The LT feels very much like a watch and due to the narrower links it is about the same width as one as well. I still get some comments about it, people intrigued wondering what it is but overall it's not talked about as much as it normally has been. I am glad actually, some of the comments I would receive were somewhat negative and asked if I was into things I would rather not mention here.

My main complaint about this tool as well as is predecessors is the fact that there are no fine adjustments one can do to make the tool the correct size. The Tread is comprised of 1/2 inch links with one 1/4 inch link in the middle. According to Leatherman a person can adjust the tool in those increments to make the tool more comfortable. This poses a challenge for some like myself because the tool is either too tight or too loose on my wrist making things very frustrating. Only option I had to fix this was to get an extended link via a 3rd party company called Chronolinks. Now my Tread is way more comfortable around my wrist and gets worn more than my original ever did.

The LT has all the same functionality of the original and they have made some slight adjustments to some of the implements. Being narrower some links have been strengthened and modified to stand up to everyday tasks. 

The Tread is designed to be a multitool when either a standard one isn't available or one simply isn't allowed due to security. A lot of people compare the Tread to it's plier-packing brothers but, it's an unfair comparison. This niche tool was created for a specific reason similar to the Leatherman Signal and should not be treated as a do-it-all multitool. In spite of some limitations because of design elements I feel the Tread works extremely well. 

Overall the Tread LT is a welcomed addition to the Tread line and I appreciate the changes Leatherman has made to the tool. They've addressed customer concerns and tried to appeal to a wider audience. This unique tool is already a part of many edc setups and the LT would make a great addition to yours.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 10:44:34 PM
For some reason I can't edit my original post so I'll cut and paste to here. Think I got everything.

two years ago, spending more time

two years ago. Spending more time

it's plier-packing brothers

its plier-packing brothers

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 11:16:07 PM
I've had a glass or two of wine so I'll not try any editorial suggestions. :D  Looking forward to the pics though.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 11:37:07 PM
I am never good with grammar and the ole comma :facepalm: Looks good to me but it probably did befor ethe changes as well :whistle: Also can't wait for the pics :like:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 04:33:34 PM

The Tread LT (Tread Light) is still a heavy tool weighing in at 5.5oz/156g with all the links attached and out of the box is 8.56in/21.74cm in circumference. At first glance it appears to be the same tool that came out two years ago. Spending more time with it I see the changes that Leatherman has made to the tool albeit small.

The Tread still retains the functionality of the first Tread tool. It comes with 25 various drivers and cutouts that can handle an assortment of tasks throughout the day. What has changed the most about this tool is the weight and the width. One of the chief complaints about the original was it was too heavy and it felt wide on your wrist. Shaving 30% of the overall width of each link also allowed the tool to drop 10% of its weight. This may sound like it doesn't make much of a difference but I feel it's a big enough difference that I wear it more often than I ever did the original.

The LT has all the same functionality of the original and they have made some slight adjustments to some of the implements. Being narrower some links have been strengthened and modified to stand up to everyday tasks.

The Tread is designed to be a multitool when either a standard one isn't available or one simply isn't allowed due to security. A lot of people compare the Tread to its plier-packing brothers but, it's an unfair comparison. This niche tool was created for a specific reason similar to the Leatherman Signal and should not be treated as a do-it-all multitool. In spite of some limitations because of design elements I feel the Tread works extremely well.

Overall the Tread LT is a welcomed addition to the Tread line and I appreciate the changes Leatherman has made to the tool. They've addressed customer concerns and tried to appeal to a wider audience. This unique tool is already a part of many edc setups and the LT would make a great addition to yours.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 04:36:42 PM by David Bowen »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:40:16 PM
You always do a great job with your reviews David.  Does this LT have links with collars or not?  :D

I'm guessing for those who may have decided the Tread was too heavy or bulky this iteration may tick more boxes. 

Again well done and thanks for the editing I know I sure need it on ALL my posts. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 11:06:08 PM
No collars but does the job regardless. I have no strength concerns about the regular Tread it the LT. I would probably see the drivers turn, twist and warp before I see any kind of failure by the connector pieces.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 11:09:47 PM
I use a combination of Tapatalk on both my mobile devices as well as the Mobile version of our forum and I keep running into editing issues. Seems when I create a post on my tablet with Tapatalk I cannot edit from Tapatalk on my phone, weird.

Thanks for the kind words Aloha, I try very hard to write very good reviews. I've been writing reviews for this joint now for 11 years and I'll keep writing as long as Grant let's me ;-)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 10:33:29 AM
Nice job David.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 02:20:42 PM
Still not ported to the main site?  :think:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 05:28:17 AM
are you gonna review the tempo next?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:40 AM
Still not ported to the main site?  :think:
I'll see if l can get it up there.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 06:22:12 AM
are you gonna review the tempo next?
Wish I could afford the Tempo but too rich for my blood.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD