Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite EDC folders

Anthony · 42 · 11586

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Favorite EDC folders
on: February 15, 2007, 11:59:43 PM
I've been trying to EDC a folder lately, which is as sharp as a peice of driftwood (Gerber Paraframe).  I left that home after a while (couldent cut through 2 layers of thin plastic bag) and started carrying a Husky folding razor...until I broke it trying to adjust the tension.  Apparently the bolt that looks like it SHOULD adjust the tension is just a static bolt...once I popped it the knife was never the same :cry:  It still works, but it's not smooth opening...another one relegated to the toolbox.

So now I'm back at square one..I'd like a nice sharp, durable folder for under $50. 

Spydercos look nice, but even used ones are expensive.  There are so many companies out there it's hard to just jump into it and know whats good/decent/bad.  The SOG Flash II looks nice, but they just break that $50 limit...

Any suggestions?
[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Favorite EDC folders
Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:16:07 AM
Under $50 huh?  Cold Steel's Voyager line used to have a couple of models below that, but I see they aren't listed anywhere near that anymore.  CRKT had some stuff a while back too, but I can't seem to find anything in particular. 

You might want to check out some of the kit knives at www.linvilleknifeandtool.com, www.knifekits.com, www.texasknife.com or www.jantzsupply.com since they all have some really nice kits that make beautiful (an customized!) knives for well under $50.

I have one of the Linville kit knives and I really like it.  At least as far as dedicated knives go, which to be honest I really don;t care for them much nowadays.

I do also have a LM knife listed in the For Sale forum right now for well under $50 too.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:17:39 AM
I like the Leatherman folders - especially the ones with the finger launcher.  I also have a couple Kershaw Ken Onions with assist that I like to carry.  I also like AG Russell basic folders.  Spydercos aren't bad, but I find the one-hand opening a stretch for my hands.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:51:03 AM
I have a collection of over 100 folders, most dating back to the 1980s.  I have been carrying just a few of them lately.

Most often, I use a Spyderco Native folder, plain edge - S30V steel - FRN handles.   Made in USA.  I bought it for $40 US at a Super Walmart.

See:  http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20

Sometimes I carry a Victorinox One Hand Trekker, but it is much heavier due to the extra blades.

The small Master Mechanic MM3 lockback was manufactured by Schrade.
knives-carried.jpg
* knives-carried.jpg (Filesize: 36.18 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 04:00:32 AM
That Spyderco looks like something I'd buy and use...now to find a good price...

Keep 'em coming..

EDIT:
Super Wal Mart eh?  One just opened nearby...I might take the 2 mile hike from the front door to the knife counter..hopefully they carry that knife.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 04:22:26 AM by Corrugated »
[

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 08:58:24 AM
I like the Leatherman folders - especially the ones with the finger launcher.  I also have a couple Kershaw Ken Onions with assist that I like to carry.  I also like AG Russell basic folders.  Spydercos aren't bad, but I find the one-hand opening a stretch for my hands.
I second the comments about the LM folders. I've been carrying the one with the "finger flipper" that as a phillips and flat head drivers as well as the carbiner/bottle opener.  I got mine at a pawn shop for $15 other wise I don't think I would have given it a chance. I'm glad I did though it's been a great knife. If  used it pretty rough at work cutting open boxes and rope and        its performed great. It's nice to have those drivers around to complement your multi has well and the flinger launcher works nice and smooth.  I have two SOGs with assisted opening and I find that having to unlock the safety to launch the blade takes away from the one handed opening feature.  With the LM you just take it out of you pocket and flip it open
LM_Spirit.jpg
* LM_Spirit.jpg (Filesize: 49.54 KB)
"

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 05:54:13 PM
I EDC a few knives that I rotate around, I go from my spyderco endura, to my Native or even my small salsa depending on my mood. What I carry all depends on what I am doing that day and what kind of knife I need, the Kershaw Storm II is pretty sweet too. For fun I carry blades like the CRKT Snap Lock. Overall though, I would go with the Native, the S30V is second to none and you can't beat that price, it's hard to get a good folder with a premium steel at a good price.

David

Offline joebw

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:41:27 PM
Take a look at the Byrd line from Spyderco.  The FRN Meadowlark is a joy to carry.  Quality seems to be OK in the opinion of many.  I like the line.

Joe

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 02:50:43 PM
Kershaw Mini Cyclone. You will love it. I  have the Native from spyderco also but I really like the cyclone better.
S

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 07:38:28 PM
Prime77, that picture just doesn't look right.

Most people carry a Victorinox knife and a Leatherman multitool, don't they?  ;)
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2007, 01:36:43 AM
ha, that's true...whatever suits you best I guess.

As for me getting a new knife...I might get a small fixed blade instead.  Has to be under 3" here in RI (and MA I think, I go up there quite a bit).  I'm thikning of getting a Buck Hartsook neck knife and get some hardware to attach it to the inside of my pocket or belt.  It is TINY :o  Has anyone handled one?

Features:
1.88 in. blade
2.37 in. handle of S30V steel with black oxide coating.
Lanyard holes sized for parachute cord.
4-1/4" Overall
1/2 oz. in weight

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 04:28:03 AM
Whoa! That thing looks cute and wicked at the same time!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2007, 05:01:30 AM
Whoa! That thing looks cute and wicked at the same time!

S30V is apparently a really good steel, and I love the black oxide (on anything really) and the skeletonized handle...I read that the sheath sucks though, but that's the price you pay for a "cheap"* knife.  Same thing with the Mora knives..people bitch about the crappy sheath...but they paid $8 for a great knife, you can't complaign! 

*by "cheap" I mean $25-$30 shipped on ebay...I might just go ahead and get one.

[

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: February 22, 2007, 05:53:47 AM
Another pic, just to illustrate how small it is:
[

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 06:22:11 AM
Have you considered a waved folder?  I got a Spyderco Delica lately that I've really been enjoying the last week or so.

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=227
C11PGYW_L.jpg
* C11PGYW_L.jpg (Filesize: 54.97 KB)

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 06:28:07 AM
Video link in case you've never seen a waved blade in action.

http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CQC-7.MPG

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #16 on: February 22, 2007, 06:40:14 AM
Wow..it looks like he's just pulling a regular fixed blade knife.  One of the main reasons for my next purchse will be concealability and self defense.  The way I figure it, in the chance I'll need a knife, some guy will run up behind me and we'll end up on the ground.  I probably won't be mobile enough to pull a folder and have it ready to put a hole in the guy. 

I definatley want to get a Spyderco of some kind for the same reason I want to get a Leatherman...not because I NEED them, but everyone seems to swear by them, and I like to play around with nicely engineered tools :)
[

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 22, 2007, 06:48:42 AM
I'm able to get it to wave from a front or rear pocket, & you can also get a kydex sheath they call a speed loader which will automatically wave when you pull the knife from the sheath.

Offline Tom Munch

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 22, 2007, 06:51:48 AM
I got my waved Delica from lighthound.com for $48.99 plus shipping.  That's a little more than you wanted to spend, but it's the cheapest waved knife you can find unless you modify your own blade.  You can also make what they call a ghetto wave by putting a cable tie on a thumb hole & hooking that on your pocket.  It's not quite as slick though.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #19 on: March 01, 2007, 04:18:55 AM
So I finally bought a new knife...CRKT Carson neck knife, partially serrated...2 3/4" blade, 5 1/2" overall. 

For $17 shipped on ebay, I'm 99.9% sure it's made in china, but for what I'm going to use it for, it's fine.  (I hate buying from china though :embarassed: )

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: March 02, 2007, 01:18:13 PM
(I hate buying from china though :embarassed: )

It's hard NOT to buy from China, these days.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2007, 11:37:14 PM
I have been looking at those Wharcom folders for a while.... they look pretty handy. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2007, 01:43:44 PM
Heres a few suggestions from me

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2007, 01:47:57 PM
Nice collection Dunc!

That's a pretty nice KL 91 too.  My KL89 sees alot of pocket time because I like the size and layout of the Soldier by miss the keyring.  Of course I could just carry a Pioneer, but with the KL you have the added prestige of carrying an actual military knife!

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2007, 01:55:36 PM
Def the KL91 is a very nice knife but the blades on this one has been ruined by the previous owner who used a grinder to sharpen it  :o Its still percfectly usable but what the real shame is that all the other tools are like new with not a mark on them   :cry: I had to sell the Spydercos but I still have the Atlantic Salt .

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2007, 02:22:56 PM
I think I have two Spydies left after the "Great Tactical Purge."  I really have no reson to carry a dedicated folder.  Ninjas has been rare around here for decades since the great tabi sock famine of 1978.  Shortly after that the local government outlawed threatening dancing around intended targets while taking turns attacking him one at a time and the rest moved away in disgust.

Too bad about that KL 91 being ground down.  Do you have a pic of the blade?  Fortunately, they are pretty inexpensive to replace since the Dutch went to the Centurion models.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: March 10, 2007, 04:54:23 PM
Does the KL 91 marking somehow indicate a Dutch origin? From 1991?

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #28 on: March 10, 2007, 04:58:27 PM
Yes it does , its very similar to the std Victorinox Soldier but has a split ring and instead of the date on the blade tang its on the scale .It was made for the dutch army .

Dunc

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 07:20:33 PM
hmm..my Soldier has a split ring..is that the 'civilian' version of it?
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD