Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite EDC folders

Anthony · 42 · 11598

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Favorite EDC folders
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 07:24:55 PM
Is it a vic or a Wenger ? If it hasnt got the date on the blade tang then it not a soldier and will more likely be a pioneer . I think there may have been a few Vic Soldiers made with rings . The main thing is the date on the blade .

Dunc

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 07:44:09 PM
Mine is a Victorinox...no date on the blade though, just:

Victorinox
Switzerland
Stainless
Rostfrei

And I'm pretty sure it's a soldier model..Alox scales, main blade, bottle opener, can opener, and reamer.  The Pioneer has a saw right?
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 08:06:08 PM
No there are quite a few Alox models , Def will be able to tell you the exact one .

dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 08:08:52 PM

Too bad about that KL 91 being ground down.  Do you have a pic of the blade?  Fortunately, they are pretty inexpensive to replace since the Dutch went to the Centurion models.

Def

Yep here it is  :cry:

Dunc

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 08:18:27 PM
Heres a couple of pics of my Soldier with blade markings , sorry its upside down .04 is the year ( 2004 ) and the other side is Victorinox Switzerland stainless rostfrei

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: March 11, 2007, 02:02:31 AM
Mine is a Victorinox...no date on the blade though, just:

Victorinox
Switzerland
Stainless
Rostfrei

And I'm pretty sure it's a soldier model..Alox scales, main blade, bottle opener, can opener, and reamer.  The Pioneer has a saw right?

The Pioneer Harvester has a saw.  The standard Pioneer doesn't.  There are actually numerous models in the Pioneer series.  However, it sounds like you have a regular Pioneer. 

I wrote an article on the various different Soldier type models a few months ago on SOSAKOnline that might help you sort it all out.  Check it out here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=126&Itemid=35

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #36 on: March 11, 2007, 05:54:55 AM
I've got the Pioneer!

I carry it on my person at work...it's all I need in a SAK and nothing else; and the impliments are heavier duty than the Spartan I carry at home.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: March 11, 2007, 01:14:57 PM
The Pioneer is a great knife.  It's basically the civilianized version of the Soldier with a few fancy things added to make it more "civilian-y."  I carried my KL89 for a while, and still rotate it in and out of service.  It's virtually identical to the Pioneer but has the added bonus of carrying something more distinctive because it's a Swiss Army, Dutch Army knife! :D

The implements are heavier than the Spartan because the Spartan (and all plastic handled models) are descendants from the original Officer's Knife while the Soldier, Pioneer, Electrician and all other ALOX knives are descended from the Soldier's knife which had to be more heavy duty for use in the field.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #38 on: March 11, 2007, 07:17:20 PM
Were the tools modified for the civillian version?  All I thought was diffrent was the Victorinox crest and the keyring..
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: March 11, 2007, 07:40:23 PM
The tools on the Soldier and Pioneer models are identical, except for the stamp on the main blade, although overrun Soldier blades are often seen on other ALOX models as well.

The Pioneer also has the engraving plate on the back, which the Soldier doesn't have.

Pretty complex differences for two models that are identical huh? :D

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: March 14, 2007, 03:05:18 PM
The Pioneer series also have keyrings where the Swiss Soldiers don't.  The DAKs (Dutch Army Knives), however, also have the ring.

Some of the Swiss soldiers have hollow rivets for lanyards, and some have bails through the hollow rivets.

It's all very confusing, huh?

The Pioneer Farmer rules all, IMO.  The sheepsfoot blade on the Electrician and Electrician Plus is very handy also.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 03:09:14 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #41 on: March 16, 2007, 03:45:00 PM
I have several EDC folders.  I have numerous SAKs that I rotate depending on what I want to carry.  Besides that I have 2 Buck Striders that I carry when I need a heavy duty folder.  I also have an Emerson Waved CQC-7B.(would you have guessed that)  That my wife got me as a wedding gift.  I carry it almost everyday and I will have to say that it is without a doubt my favorite EDC folder because of its moderate size, weight.  My spyderco Manix finds its way into my pocket especially when I head for the woods.  It is quite possibly the finest all around folding knife that I own.  The thick flat ground 4" S30V blade can handle anything from dressing and skinning game to "batoning" wood for a fire.  It is heavy, big , and very very tough.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%