Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is it possible to fix a Tanto blade?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Is it possible to fix a Tanto blade?
on: November 21, 2017, 04:25:32 AM

I was learning to use my new Work Sharp Knife and Tool sharpener and kinda messed up my Boker Magnum Tanto blade. I rounded that angled corner. Is it possible to fix?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline thatotherguy

Re: Is it possible to fix a Tanto blade?
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 04:27:32 AM
Not without taking off a pretty substantial amount of steel, unfortunately.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:32:25 PM
the Yokote (angle between the two straight portions of the blade) can only be repaired, when rounded, by removing steel from both straights sections and not ever touching the angle between them during such re-shaping and reshaping.
In other words, sharpen both parts independently, one at a time, not touching the small, pointy section between them at each pass
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline Spey

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:47:45 AM

I was learning to use my new Work Sharp Knife and Tool sharpener and kinda messed up my Boker Magnum Tanto blade. I rounded that angled corner. Is it possible to fix?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
as others have stated already, getting Tanto profile back requires a lot of grinding.

Optionally, easier (arguably better) to review the practical attributes of a Spanto Grind (Spear Point & Tanto hybrid), and works twoards this in future sharpenings.
No Honey, that's always been in the safe ...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%