Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can you use the file to strike a match?

us Offline watchandknife

Can you use the file to strike a match?
on: November 15, 2017, 01:40:40 AM
I read a comment on a YouTube video where the guy said he could...

I tried it on two different classics and no luck. Can it be that my matches are old or did I fall for the ol “you got some sauce on your tie. Ha! madjah look”
 :facepalm:
Follow me on Instagram @    watchandknife

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Re: Can you use the file to strike a match?
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 01:44:10 AM
I dont have any to try this but I would bet that the Diamond strike anywhere matches would work this way.
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 01:47:38 AM
I've lit strike-anywhere matches on rocks and zippers. Expect a file would work just fine.

If you're trying to light safety matches, the answer is no. They need to be lit on the special strip on the package.

us Offline watchandknife

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 01:51:17 AM
Thanks for the quick responses fellas.

I’ll get a box of those soon.

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 01:55:13 AM

They used to be readily available in grocery stores, but a lot of stores don't carry them any more. You may need to check a hardware store or outdoors sports shop.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 01:58:22 AM

They used to be readily available in grocery stores, but a lot of stores don't carry them any more. You may need to check a hardware store or outdoors sports shop.

Yeah, it's weird how these disappeared from so many store shelves over the years. We used to buy them at the local grocery when I was a kid.

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:27:11 AM
Back in my smoking days I would use my pants leg  & teeth ( while I still had some ) to strike them. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :whistle: :climber:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 03:58:39 AM
I dunno if they've outlawed them or what, but I haven't seen strike anywhere matches in a decade.  I guess too many people doing stupid stuff, and being hasty to sue.  You'll have to have the phosphorous strip for most matches, and that could probably be attached to a scale with double stick tape, but it isn't all that durable, so it's best you keep them in the matchbox that has the strip.

us Offline watchandknife

Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 04:14:36 AM
 :think: is everyone here telling me to buy a ton of boxes and hoard them?

I think “Back in my smoking days I would use my teeth” line kinda sealed the deal for me so thanks butch  :rofl:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 04:18:58 AM
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 04:21:29 AM
:think: is everyone here telling me to buy a ton of boxes and hoard them?

I think “Back in my smoking days I would use my teeth” line kinda sealed the deal for me so thanks butch  :rofl:

Is true, Douglas most likely remembers me doing it. :oops:
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline watchandknife

Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 04:23:27 AM
Capture.JPG
* Capture.JPG (Filesize: 31.92 KB)

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:30 AM
Not outlawed.

https://smile.amazon.com/Diamond-Greenlight-Strike-Anywhere-Matches/dp/B017DLUQRU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510715873&sr=8-2&keywords=strike+anywhere+matches&dpID=41Ofwl3F52L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: this review is something i would say except I would change it to "Would leave 5 stars if they lit up on my teeth like they said on MTO."

There is a trick to it but I'll bet they will if you know how.
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 05:30:43 AM
  :facepalm: :facepalm:
I have to admitt it, I do remember the ol'  lite'm up on the teeth trick...memories are sometimes best left alone.
Hush Dad... :whistle:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

de Offline Shuya

Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 07:57:56 AM
Tried it myself....the newer files I got are too aggressive, they rip the match head apart before igniting.
Had a SOG file in BO around in the spare parts box, they are so dull they keep the heads intact and on some occasions even ignite if you strike often enough  :whistle:

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 08:26:06 AM
I've tried this many times when I was a kid.
On TV everybody was lighting matches on all kinds of surfaces and we always used the box.
So I 'lend' a box to try it myself, to no avail of course. So I just ended up lighting them with my magnifier.
I don't think I've ever handles strike anywhere matches, I don't think you can get them in the Netherlands.
Is there a possibility of those matches lighting against themselves? Like when they are in the box or a canister?
Because that would explain why they are not around here.
They would make an awesome addition to my EDC though.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:23 AM
I've tried this many times when I was a kid.
On TV everybody was lighting matches on all kinds of surfaces and we always used the box.
So I 'lend' a box to try it myself, to no avail of course. So I just ended up lighting them with my magnifier.
I don't think I've ever handles strike anywhere matches, I don't think you can get them in the Netherlands.
Is there a possibility of those matches lighting against themselves? Like when they are in the box or a canister?
Because that would explain why they are not around here.
They would make an awesome addition to my EDC though.

Odd how it would be considered a safety issue with the wide availability of disposable lighters available, which are far more dangerous and easier to light than strike anywhere matches. We used them a lot when camping for lighting stoves, lanterns and campfires, usually using one of the stones around the fire pit or anything else that would work for friction, including the strip on the box. I have noticed them being less available over the years.

And despite them saying strike anywhere, they surely did not, we tested this statement on so many things.  :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:03:27 AM by twiliter »

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 11:05:42 AM
While we're on the subject, can you use the file to strike a deal?, a pose?, a blow?, out?  :think:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 02:18:11 PM
I would think the file surface would be to rough and would pull the tip off from the head of the match.
I saw larger zippers do same thing. 
The diamond file of the Wave or Surge maybe OK to use. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 03:47:11 PM
In the Netherlands you can find strike-anywhere-matches in de online 'prepshop.nl'.
As far as I remember the match head has a wax coating so they can not ignite whilst rubbing against each other.

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #20 on: December 29, 2017, 05:24:08 PM
To break up the Chrimbo limbo I decided to sacrifice half a box of Swan Vestas and see what multitool files will strike a non-safety match.  The contenders:
Victorinox Compact (hook file)
Swisstool Spirit
Leatherman Juice XE6
Leatherman Squirt
Leatherman Micra
Victorinox Classic SD
Victorinox Cadet
Victorinox Ranger
Leatherman Surge
SOG Switchplier 2

The only complete failures were the fine side of the SOG file, and the diamond sides of the Juice and Surge files.  The coarse side of the SOG file worked marginally.  All the others would strike a match with some degree of reliability. The small Victorinox nail files on the Compact and Classic suffer from clogging with match-head debris, so the first match might light easily but the second or third won't work until you clean the file with a wire brush.
The winners were 2 of the Leathermen: the metal file side of the Juice file, and the coarse side of the Squirt file.  Both would light the match first time almost every time, as good as using the side of the box.
files.jpg
* files.jpg (Filesize: 75.66 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69