Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are SAK blades easiest to sharpen?

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Are SAK blades easiest to sharpen?
on: November 21, 2017, 05:34:21 AM
I’ve been playing with my new Work Sharp Knife sharpener and trying it on several bigger knife blades.

For my SAKs I usually just use either my diamond file in my Gen 1 Wave or the Vic sharpener.

Is it best this way or should I try that blade on the Work Sharp belt sharpener?

What is the oem blade angle from Victorinox?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Are SAK blades easiest to sharpen?
Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:50:45 PM
What is the oem blade angle from Victorinox?

Here is a quote from Victorinox:

November 5, 2015

"Care Tips for Victorinox Pocket Knives:

Our pocket knives are manufactured from high quality steel. Its characteristics are matched to the requirements of the area of use. The necessary final hardness and corrosion resistance are achieved through tempering and annealing the steel along with the final polishing processes.

Resharpening instructions

Straight cut:

Resharpen using a whetstone at an angle of 15-20°. This will result in a cutting angle of 30 -
40°.

If resharpening on a grinding wheel, always cool with plenty of water to avoid excessive temperatures and the resulting damage caused.
Serrated cut:

Hone the blade with a sharpening stone by pulling it across the flat side of the serrated cut at an angle of 15 -20°.

All of this is faster and easier with the Victorinox Knife Sharpener «7.8714». It is suited for sharpening both straight and serrated cut blades."

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Re: Are SAK blades easiest to sharpen?
Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:57:43 PM
I sharpen my SAKs on a hone, strop on leather. Try to stay around 30 degrees total. Sharp enough to cut most anything and easy to maintain. Love my SAK Tinker and all my other SAKs. No need for fancy jigs or gadgets.

Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68