Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ah nuts....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Ah nuts....
on: November 22, 2017, 05:34:34 PM
Last week I went to visit my parents for a few days and to put my utility trailer and kayaks into storage for the winter.  My father and I hung the boats in the garage, then we took the crossbars and J-Racks off the trailer to put them away.  While doing so, my father dropped one of the nuts I use to bolt the crossbar onto the trailer.

He looked for it on the driveway (although, finding a steel nut on a grey driveway is not easy), he looked for it in the bed of the trailer, he moved the trailer out of the way and got down on his hands and knees to search the driveway, and then he got serious.  He has a magnetic pickup thing, kind of like a broom, but with a giant magnet, strong enough to pick up nuts and screws and whatnot off the ground, out of the grass etc.  I told him a few times not to worry about it, that it wasn't worth this much effort, and a nut was not going to puncture a tire (worst part of losing something on a driveway) and that I had many more like it- after all, I lose the little buggers all the time.

Still, he insisted on running the magnet across the driveway where the trailer had been, up through the bed of the trailer and for several feet around the area he dropped it, and was quite frustrated that he couldn't find it.  Luckily the guy arrived to service his Kubota tractor, or he'd have kept looking for the nut for hours afterwards.  Obsession is a nasty thing, and now you all see where I get it from!  :P

While the Kubota guy and my father were looking at the tractor I happened to walk by the trailer and I found the nut, plain as day!  If it had fallen normally it would have been found, but this little nut cheated and didn't fall all the way down, but instead got caught halfway down by one of the rubber straps I keep on the side of my trailer!

Needless to say I snapped the pic below and emailed it to my Mom inside the house, whom I knew would have a good laugh at it!  When then tech finally left I made sure to point it out to my father and we both had a good laugh!

Def
15108529930570.jpg
* 15108529930570.jpg (Filesize: 191.77 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Ah nuts....
Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:52:32 PM
Lol, idk how many times I’ve dropped something and spent soooo long looking for it yet it’s like "RIGHT THERE" I mean the only way it could be any more noticeable is if it was like that neon green :doh:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 05:57:25 PM
Tricky little bolt   :rofl:

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:07:33 PM
I did a similar thing years ago, but with a very expensive countersinking bit (the ones with the hole) on my folks gravel driveway... I never found it. Unlike your dad, Pop Fuzzbucket couldn't give a rat's fart... bless him...

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:12:01 PM
Hate when stuff like that happens :ahhh to me  :whistle: :rofl: Glad you found it though :D :like:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 07:40:20 PM
I had an important screw fall down recently. Small thingy.
Couldn't find it anywhere but luckely I still had 1 spare in the van.

When I came home and undressed to wash up, it fell from my pocket.
It had just fallen right in it...
:facepalm:

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 08:18:16 PM
Just try to assemble a rifle after a detent pin and spring that you didn't fully capture when installing decides to go sproing and fly across the room. :facepalm: 

us Offline redmond

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 09:46:54 PM
Just try to assemble a rifle after a detent pin and spring that you didn't fully capture when installing decides to go sproing and fly across the room. :facepalm:

Yup - sproing, plink, plink, plink....

Been there, done that, so many times! Similarly a 1911 recoil spring.

Best way of finding: Take 3 steps in any random direction. You will be standing on the spring and probably deformed it, but the pin has fallen into a black hole and is gone forever.
Greg
LM: PST II, Crunch (x2), Squirt, Micra, Skeletool, Rebar, Wave
SAK: Executive, Classic, Compact, Farmer, Fieldmaster, Huntsman, Explorer, SwissChamp, Climber, Camper, Pioneer, Pioneer X, Money Clip, Minichamp, Cadet, Super Tinker, Bijou, Excelsior, Swisstool, Wenger SGT Shortix  Plus, Traveler, Evo S18
 Gerber: Mr. Pinchy, MP600

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:59:21 PM
More than once I've dropped a wrench under the hood, and it didn't make it all the way to the ground. 
Now even if you can finish the repair without that wrench, you still can't really go anywhere with that car until you find the stupid wrench.
- Steve

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 10:00:06 PM
I tend not to lose any screws myself...

They get expensive.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 10:10:30 PM

They get expensive.

I used to work in the watch and Jewelry repair section at the Bay and I am quite familiar with those screws.   :ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 10:28:46 PM

They get expensive.
You're a watchmaker??

You're now my hero of the month :dd:

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 11:22:10 PM
Mech!
A hobbyist, I have never earned a living repairing pocket watches. I collect, maintain and repair vintage pocket watches that I also own. It’s a hobby not unlike SAKS.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 08:03:54 PM
Mech!
A hobbyist, I have never earned a living repairing pocket watches. I collect, maintain and repair vintage pocket watches that I also own. It’s a hobby not unlike SAKS.
Well count me in your club!

Only wrissmurfches though.
And restore only, not repairs.
Lack the skillset...

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 08:39:28 PM
 :rofl:  Try writing wrist watches next time!

* wrissmurfch.jpg (Filesize: 24.67 KB)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:41:06 PM by Ronald Schröder »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 08:46:47 PM
Once when I was young Mum drove from home to KFC and I went along for the ride. We went through the drive-through and when we got to the cashier she couldn't find her purse. Then I spotted it, right in front of me but on the outside of the windscreen on the wiper. It had been there all across town!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 09:09:16 PM
:rofl:  Try writing wrist watches next time!

STOP! Smurf time!

:rofl:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 09:28:22 PM
 :rofl:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 10:02:51 PM
Funny. 👍
One thing that drives me crazy when I walk my dog around my area is finding screws, nails, etc. I can only imagine people experiencing the same kind of search frustration.

I try to pick it up and throw them away or just repurpose them. Those nails and screws can do a number on your tires. Especially nowadays when the newer cars are not supplied with spares, just tire patches.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 10:12:48 PM
The filter smurfs me every time...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 10:38:11 PM
smurf! Censored! Salsmurfer! Wrissmurfch! Ssmurfhorpe! smurftone, smurf, Censoredstone. :whistle:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:39:47 PM by Pablo O'Brien »
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 10:40:28 PM
I found a bad word that isn't filtered. :facepalm:
C-r-a-p... :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 10:51:51 PM
All smurf words in the smurf language pass unsmurfed.  :D

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 04:38:28 AM
Changed the digitizer screen and battery on the iPad mini the other day and lost a screw. And now it's not working.  :facepalm: I think I'm going to have to order the screw set just in case it is the screw causing it. :twak:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:39:32 AM by TheDude »
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 10:04:30 AM
Nuts......exactly what it makes me....

I get completely obsessive when this happens, life literally can't carry on........ :ahhh

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 12:28:52 PM
Funny. 👍
One thing that drives me crazy when I walk my dog around my area is finding screws, nails, etc. I can only imagine people experiencing the same kind of search frustration.

I try to pick it up and throw them away or just repurpose them. Those nails and screws can do a number on your tires. Especially nowadays when the newer cars are not supplied with spares, just tire patches.

not just your tires. Yesterday I was walking en route to home with Crocs (yeah, those ugly goofy shoes) because I've been having severe back pains and muscle spasms this week and doctor said to wear only those.
I got inside and immediately noticed a metallic sound at each step I made. I looked down on them and there was a 1/2" nail stuck into the soft rubber of the shoe just behind my heel, almost touching the back of my foot. The nail's head hit the floor every time I stepped on it.
It would have really trashed my day had I stepped a few millimeters backwards at any time.    :oops:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 01:02:05 PM
I get those kinds of nails and screws stuck in my tires all the time, especially when working in dock yards, container yards etc.  That is the one huge benefit of big, chunky off road tires- the lugs on the tire are usually long enough to prevent any serious breaches in the tire.  I've driven around for days before noticing the nails in the tire, although you can usually hear them.  I just tell people they are there for extra traction!

Def

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 01:26:17 PM

Perfectly understandable. In Dutch, two nouns are catenated when the first of them is being used as an adjective.
E.g. pocket knife (zak mes) becomes zakmes.
Just remember that in English this isn´t neccesary (wrong even, usually).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 04:48:32 PM

Perfectly understandable. In Dutch, two nouns are catenated when the first of them is being used as an adjective.
E.g. pocket knife (zak mes) becomes zakmes.
Just remember that in English this isn´t neccesary (wrong even, usually).
But wrist-watch is writen as a whole, no?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31