Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to tighten Center Drive?

bftx · 6 · 3551

us Offline bftx

How to tighten Center Drive?
on: November 23, 2017, 02:49:36 AM
I'd like to tighten the two screws that hold the driver and blade to the frame, anyone have any ideas what to use?  I've found needle nose pliers slip and aren't the best bet.

I'd like to get a better lockup on the knife and tightening the screw should do it.  Also, would like to make the driver abit less floppy.  Also, tightening should help with blade centering.

Is there some sort of a bit, socket I can buy at home Depot that will fit it?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How to tighten Center Drive?
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 03:42:49 AM
Hi. I don't know anything about Gerbers, but Loki (a member here) makes tools for dismantling some of them (as well as ones for Leathermans). Check this thread out: https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,61708.msg1181948.html#msg1181948
I don't know if these can also be used on a Center Drive but I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:44:54 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:39:28 AM
If scratches aren't an issue, diagonal side cutters work a lot better than needle nose pliers. Just be careful not to over-tighten!

Oh, and some Gerber pivot bolts only turn freely on one side, so try each side gently to figure out which one spins. My bet would be the side with the retainer ring, but I am not sure. Maybe someone else will know a trick or two, but I have luckily not needed to tighten my CD.
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 05:39:06 PM
Be careful so you don't shear off the screws, try to apply some heat to the screw to soften up any loctite/thread locking used when the tool was put together. I think they have screws on both sides, but I'm not sure. On the inside tools, they only have a screw on one side; next to the serrated blade.

us Offline bftx

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 06:39:54 PM
Thanks everyone, wish I could find something at a hardware store to fit it.  Come on Gerber, give your users the ability to tweak the action, just like any folding knife!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 05:35:34 AM
So I just got a Center Drive and had the opposite issue; the blade was cranked on so tight it was impossible to open one-handed. It was a cinch to fix using the handle off an MP600 as a wrench. I know not everyone has those on hand, but it will get the job done if you do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%