Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How many have done this?

us Offline Zhenchok

How many have done this?
on: November 23, 2017, 06:44:55 AM
I am kicking myself for doing the right thing.  I was at Wally World today looking at their knives and camping gear, at the self checkout counter I see a $20 bill sticking out of the change slot.  I felt bad for the person who lost it and decided to give it to the Service Desk. There must have been 5 or so employees there hanging out as there were no customers.  They looked at me like I was the biggest idiot in the world.  They did say thank you and that they will donate it to charity if no one comes to claim it.  Yes, I thought about keeping it but my conscience felt bad, however I am sure the rightful owner will never get their money back. I know I did the right thing but feel like the biggest dummy, I could have invested in another Vic :)

Also, I did a cheap imitation of what looked to be a Climber made by their house brand Ozark Trail. A complete junk knock off for $3.88. Disappointing sight. 
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Re: How many have done this?
Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 06:53:25 AM
That's Walmart for ya... I avoid that place at all costs.  :td:

But good for you, what you did was a classy move!  :tu:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:53:56 AM
I would have kept it.
But that's just me...

You're obviously a better person :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 07:27:51 AM
Been there done that tho not sure I'd do it again. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:43:24 AM
Been there done that tho not sure I'd do it again.
Pretty sure I won’t :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 07:45:11 AM
My niece left money in one like that over here and when she went back they wouldn't even check if it had been handed in. They told her basically she was an idiot and no one ever hands it in.

Good on you for handing it in.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 07:57:17 AM
I found a children´s purse a few years ago. Lots of coins in it, about E 25. It was late at night, not a single person in sight. No name or address in the purse. What could I do? I kept the money but it made me feel bad, some kid losing maybe his/her birthday money.

Some other time I found a DFL 25 bank note in a bar. I ordered beers for everyone. That made me feel good.

I´d rather be honest and return the money to the rightful owner, but it´s not always possible, and I don´t trust other people to do it for me.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:13:34 AM by Ronald Schröder »

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 10:34:53 AM
Someone forgot 50€ at ATM. I left it there in case someone came back for it. Probably someone that came after me took it and not the original owner. Anyway, I hope that whoever got it in the end put it to a good use.  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 11:42:01 AM
You did the right thing mate, I've handed in 2 wallets and one iPhone over the years,the best one though was one of the wallets ,it had no cash in it just cards,I found it laying on a park bench so I guess it slipped out of someone's back pocket 😕 when I went into the police station and handed it over the policeman looked at me and said So there wasn't any cash in it  :rant: he actually made me feel guilty,well only for a second as I looked straight at him and said would I bother brining it in if i stole from it  >:( sometimes it does make you think why we bother doing the right thing  :-\

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 12:15:26 PM
I found a wallet containing about $500NZD once in a public toilet stall. Hmmm was it that much? I can't remember....
Anyway, there were no cards or anything else except for a receipt for something in an LA airport with a name on it. I guess it was a tourist's NZ cash wallet. I had passed someone who looked like an American a minute earlier too.
I really needed the money at the time but I handed it in to the police anyway. They said if they couldn't find the owner in the next x months it was mine.
Several months later they called and said I could pick it up.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 12:37:01 PM
I found a wallet containing about $500NZD once in a public toilet stall. Hmmm was it that much? I can't remember....
Anyway, there were no cards or anything else except for a receipt for something in an LA airport with a name on it. I guess it was a tourist's NZ cash wallet. I had passed someone who looked like an American a minute earlier too.
I really needed the money at the time but I handed it in to the police anyway. They said if they couldn't find the owner in the next x months it was mine.
Did you? Was the money still there?? :ahhh

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:39:16 PM
If it was back in winter 2003/2004 it is mine... came in through LA because I was in San Francisco at a conference beforehand. Used my travel money to buy a "round-the-world" ticket, instead of a Zurich-SF/SF-Zurich... Anyway, it was closer to 600NZD.
Show content
Kidding, never lost that kind of money.

I read somewhere that this is most common. Because you feel with the victim. Whereas people who are not tight on money are less likely to return it.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 05:50:01 PM
We went to get chinese food the other day. I noticed a purse hanging over the back of a chair. Rushed out to ask a group of ladies if any of them had left a purse. One lady said she had, and commented 'Good thing, it had my rent money in it'.

That's my level of honesty. If I found a bill in a return slot, it's mine. No way to identify the owner. And sorry, if you hand it to employees, they'll likely pocket it.

So I'm... THIS honest (Lynn makes hand sign with finger and thumb an inch apart) :D

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 08:23:31 PM
Been there.
If I can readaly find the owner I will return it, but otherwize I will keep it. I have lost cash several times myself and have always just hoped its found my somone that needed it more. And yes the lifted spirts of an extra pint after a rough day could count, you never know somones circumstances and what they need. Just make the best of it.

One unique one I did keep was out of a jammed coin sorter kiosk. The clerk just returned all the jamed coins to me including some that werent mine. There was 3 pieces of 1920s silver and a rosary charm in there.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:27:07 PM by Noa Isumi »
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 08:51:23 PM
Yes, all the money was there. I got rid of the wallet pretty quickly - it didn't feel like 'mine'.

There was a wallet on the floor in the gym last week. It had at least $50 in it. I looked for a name on a card and it belonged to the first person I asked.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:53:28 PM by Syncop8r »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 10:17:13 PM
Yes, all the money was there. I got rid of the wallet pretty quickly - it didn't feel like 'mine'.

There was a wallet on the floor in the gym last week. It had at least $50 in it. I looked for a name on a card and it belonged to the first person I asked.
I would've been that person too :whistle: :rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 11:19:10 PM
I would've been that person too :whistle: :rofl:
I asked if it was their wallet. They said yes. Then I asked their name. Their name matched that of a card inside. Then I handed it over.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:20:28 PM by Syncop8r »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 10:06:59 PM
Around two years ago I was leaving a gas station when I noticed a quite new looking Samsung phone laying on the ground near the gas pump. It was locked so no obvious clues as to who owned it or even the number of the phone. (Then again I'm a phone dinosaur - I actually still talk with these things). 

I picked it up and delivered to the people behind the counter at the gas station. I have no idea what happened to it later, or if the owner ever got it back. He or she might never know. For me though an important thing in such cases is that I will know I what did - and I rather be the guy that did my part to get it back rather than the guy that got a phone in a shady way at someone elses expense.

That logic goes for wallets and bills too I think, so I would do as the OP - the owner might never know, and some others might think of me as naive, but I would know. And I'd rather feel good about it. (A random note laying around a street with no clear earlier whereabout would just be a pickup though - if it is hopeless, it is hopeless).

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:11:19 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%