Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bonsa Fishing Knife.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Bonsa Fishing Knife.
on: November 24, 2017, 03:18:35 AM
The main focus of my collection (which I find it a bit hard to stay with), is knives made before 1970 (when collecting started to be a thing, and quality started to decline).  I especially like the odd multifunction knives of the era.   Many used ideas that would later be used on other more well known knives. Valley Forge's plier knife used pliers similar to what Vic would use nearly 70 years later. The Barnett Plier Knife's odd combination of pliers on the end of the handle would be seen again more than 80 years later on the SOG Toolclip and Kutmaster Multimaster. Two German tools would be the predecessors of two modern tools, the butterfly style known by Leatherman, and this knife, the Bonsa Fisherman's Knife has a configuration that would later be used by Wenger (Victorinox) and Buck (and it's dozens of low quality copycats).

Recently, I found one on the 'Bay and won it for under $20. Despite being rough, what surprises me is that the stone isn't broken (on 90 percent of fisherman's knives the hook sharpening stone has fallen out), and the tweezers are still there.

Since I don't have it yet, I'm using the seller's photos.

BONSA_1_s-l1600 (1).jpg
* BONSA_1_s-l1600 (1).jpg (Filesize: 159.51 KB)
BONSA_2.jpg
* BONSA_2.jpg (Filesize: 178.09 KB)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:21:48 AM by cody6268 »

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Bonsa Fishing Knife.
Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:52:46 PM
Intersting one!  :cheers:

Around the same size as todays SAKs?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline cody6268

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:29:44 AM
Intersting one!  :cheers:

Around the same size as todays SAKs?

In J-Sew's "Before there was Leatherman" series on here, he mentions that it had a 3.5-inch blade, so I'm guessing it's pretty big. The seller didn't provide any measurements, so that's something I'll have to figure out when it gets here.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 08:28:08 AM
Yes, that sounds longer - then again as it is a fishing knife that makes sense. Good find :)

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:32:19 PM
That was a good find (and at an excellent price).  These don't come up for sale very often, so well done !   :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 06:35:51 PM
I am in love! Do you have a fishing MT thread?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

us Offline cody6268

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 10:19:12 PM
I am in love! Do you have a fishing MT thread?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not at present, but because I have a few, that's something I really need to get started on.

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 10:58:31 PM
The main focus of my collection (which I find it a bit hard to stay with), is knives made before 1970 (when collecting started to be a thing, and quality started to decline).  I especially like the odd multifunction knives of the era.   Many used ideas that would later be used on other more well known knives. Valley Forge's plier knife used pliers similar to what Vic would use nearly 70 years later. The Barnett Plier Knife's odd combination of pliers on the end of the handle would be seen again more than 80 years later on the SOG Toolclip and Kutmaster Multimaster. Two German tools would be the predecessors of two modern tools, the butterfly style known by Leatherman, and this knife, the Bonsa Fisherman's Knife has a configuration that would later be used by Wenger (Victorinox) and Buck (and it's dozens of low quality copycats).

Recently, I found one on the 'Bay and won it for under $20. Despite being rough, what surprises me is that the stone isn't broken (on 90 percent of fisherman's knives the hook sharpening stone has fallen out), and the tweezers are still there.

Since I don't have it yet, I'm using the seller's photos.

How the smurf did I miss this?!?!!??  Nice get!
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%