Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How reliable are multitools for military conditions?

ddogu · 75 · 3356

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Re: How reliable are multitools for military conditions?
Reply #30 on: December 16, 2017, 09:47:36 AM
Wranglestar "keeps the hits coming" with this review of a Knipex mini bolt cutter which he uses to cut nails and washers. He compared them to a Gerber CD and a set of Snap-on Side cutters. Neither of those tools are designed to cut these things yet he suggests that the side cutters and MT are worthless compared to the Knipex. Obviously he shatters the Gerbers carbide cutters, which I will admit are brittle but will easily cut 16 awg steel WIRE just fine. Sometimes he's brilliant on his tool videos and then other times I'm left scratching my head. I'm not a homesteader, so maybe I don't get it...  :facepalm:

https://youtu.be/9n3MGxyNBQI
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:51:00 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #31 on: December 16, 2017, 11:17:54 AM
Wranglestar "keeps the hits coming" with this review of a Knipex mini bolt cutter which he uses to cut nails and washers. He compared them to a Gerber CD and a set of Snap-on Side cutters. Neither of those tools are designed to cut these things yet he suggests that the side cutters and MT are worthless compared to the Knipex. Obviously he shatters the Gerbers carbide cutters, which I will admit are brittle but will easily cut 16 awg steel WIRE just fine. Sometimes he's brilliant on his tool videos and then other times I'm left scratching my head. I'm not a homesteader, so maybe I don't get it...  :facepalm:

Are you telling me that you're not supposed to cut big nails with a multitool?!  >:(

:P
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: December 16, 2017, 12:43:51 PM

Are you telling me that you're not supposed to cut big nails with a multitool?!  >:(

No, that way you'll Pablo them...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: December 16, 2017, 02:27:49 PM
 :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: December 16, 2017, 02:51:29 PM
So the guy in the video likes to Pablo his multitools as well?  :like: :tu:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: December 16, 2017, 02:54:01 PM
Get a room you 2... :dwts:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: December 16, 2017, 03:10:38 PM
A room... Full of pristine condition vintage tools.... :dd:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: December 16, 2017, 03:29:03 PM

If he's like you, there will be no pristine tool whatsoever in there...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 03:33:38 PM

If he's like you, there will be no pristine tool whatsoever in there...
Not once we're done with them...  >:D

All hail the hook!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #39 on: December 16, 2017, 04:18:11 PM

And then he always says he buys things with his own money, or it was sent to him, and it's not a sponsored video... But then he uses affiliate links, which give him money when you go buy the item through them. Which means he doesn't need sponsors, he just needs to make the featured product look like the best thing ever through whatever means he can and the viewers do the sponsoring for him. And there are enough idiots on YouTube who think "this isn't sponsored" means it's a legit opinion to keep him rolling in cash.
Add to this the "testing" videos where he tells a story about his grandad for 20 minutes and spends 15 seconds using the product (not exaggerating at all here), and this channel is an embarrassment. Oh, and his infomercial-tier acting.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #40 on: December 16, 2017, 04:25:47 PM
Everybody does it -even this guy..., whoever he is   

https://youtu.be/GQ2HamoWtG4
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 04:45:38 PM

A bit more credible than trying to cut a deck screw with sidecutters though.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 04:51:25 PM
In case it was missed, my post was meant to be seen in a joking way -
I can not be bothered to get into a pro-anti LM, is Tim good or not and so on discussion

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 05:03:54 PM
In case it was missed, my post was meant to be seen in a joking way -
I can not be bothered to get into a pro-anti LM, is Tim good or not and so on discussion

It was clearly at least half joking. I just responded to it seriously because no funny replies came to mind. I blame sleep deprivation.

Show content
Also Kirky.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 05:07:37 PM
Just checking   :D

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #45 on: December 16, 2017, 05:22:43 PM

No love lost, I get the joke and I'm not hating on any tool or maker. I think the Gerber forum is always a bit more nuanced in it's understanding of tools but it just goes to illustrate how people can misrepresent the capabilities of these MTs. 

I love Leatherman tools and currently own and carry several models... but this demonstration is very misleading and it's the other side of the same coin.

First he demonstrates the ability of the fine wire cutter portion to cut paper. Fair enough that's a good thing: precision and all.  But then comes the misdirection, he says I'm going to cut a nail in half. So he takes out a nail big enough and brittle enough to shatter with the right force. He puts it into the hard wire cutter portion of the pliers, not exactly the same part of the tool he was just demonstrating. Then he breaks out a special JIG which supports one side of the plier head and holds the handles so they can't lever around too much. He gives himself an out in case it does shatter by saying maybe "I'll get lucky" which btw I'm sure he has a line if it does break. Once he cuts the nail he goes back to showing the soft wire cutters can cut paper still suggesting that the plier heads have not become misaligned. The pliers however wouldn't become misaligned because the tool is designed to cam tighter when force is applied AND the majority of the force was put to only one handle using the special jig eliminating a lot of those rotational stresses. The showmanship is appreciated but this is a magic trick. I feel me and Tim in a room could have a nuanced discussion about this demonstration but when some dummy tries this at home and breaks the darn thing he's going to blame Leatherman and not his own stupidity.

Sadly Gerber seems to be allowing other people to misuse their tools on YouTube. Maybe they should do an instructional video on uses for the carbide cutters so people have reasonable expectations. A lot of power tool companies do this and it's probably a good idea to keep yabbos from thinking a tack hammer is a 10lb sledge.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:27:28 PM by ChrisEDC247 »

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #46 on: December 16, 2017, 05:40:26 PM

And then he always says he buys things with his own money, or it was sent to him, and it's not a sponsored video... But then he uses affiliate links, which give him money when you go buy the item through them. Which means he doesn't need sponsors, he just needs to make the featured product look like the best thing ever through whatever means he can and the viewers do the sponsoring for him. And there are enough idiots on YouTube who think "this isn't sponsored" means it's a legit opinion to keep him rolling in cash.
Add to this the "testing" videos where he tells a story about his grandad for 20 minutes and spends 15 seconds using the product (not exaggerating at all here), and this channel is an embarrassment. Oh, and his infomercial-tier acting.

Don't get me wrong, the grandad stuff is great and some his videos are legitimately  informative. But lately he's trying to do a lot of the stuff that AvE does on his channel, like testing a tool until it breaks or bolting two power drills together. However the difference is that AvE explains all the reasons why stuff fails and pulls things apart to show the viewer in detail, always stopping to provide counterpoints and exceptions to even the things HE believes "as facts"!

I keep looking at the title of this thread: are multitools reliable for military conditions? I mean is a M-16 rifle reliable if you compare it to a Rambo movie?!?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:57:56 PM by ChrisEDC247 »

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: December 16, 2017, 06:16:38 PM
I feel me and Tim in a room could have a nuanced discussion about this demonstration but when some dummy tries this at home and breaks the darn thing he's going to blame Leatherman and not his own stupidity.

On the other hand its useful to know that LM would not be able to deny warranty for abuse usage of this kind. They've rather volunteered for it!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 07:49:57 PM
I feel me and Tim in a room could have a nuanced discussion about this demonstration but when some dummy tries this at home and breaks the darn thing he's going to blame Leatherman and not his own stupidity.

On the other hand its useful to know that LM would not be able to deny warranty for abuse usage of this kind. They've rather volunteered for it!

That's a quarter century of guaranteed nail cutting!   :like:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 11:21:49 PM
I did that 'stand on the handle of a multitool to cut a nail' with two multitools. One of them, the Leatherman Wingman, passed that test unscathed. I was, honestly, shocked. I am no dainty thing. I guarantee I weigh more than Tim Leatherman.

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 11:35:52 PM
I did that 'stand on the handle of a multitool to cut a nail' with two multitools. One of them, the Leatherman Wingman, passed that test unscathed. I was, honestly, shocked. I am no dainty thing. I guarantee I weigh more than Tim Leatherman.

Just curious what happened to the other one?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 12:24:25 AM

The other one was the infamous Camillus made Les Stroud Engage multitool. It bent both of the pins that connected the plier head to the handles so badly that the handles would touch before the plier head would close.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 12:47:09 AM

The other one was the infamous Camillus made Les Stroud Engage multitool. It bent both of the pins that connected the plier head to the handles so badly that the handles would touch before the plier head would close.
And then it was terminated violently.  >:D

All hail the hook!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 12:53:30 AM

I do seem to recall that a sniper rifle and military grade explosives were involved.

So, to partially answer the OP's question, the Engage is NOT reliable for Military Conditions.  :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 12:56:59 AM

I do seem to recall that a sniper rifle and military grade explosives were involved.

So, to partially answer the OP's question, the Engage is NOT reliable for Military Conditions.  :rofl:
In those conditions, what multitool is?  :angel:

All hail the hook!

us Offline ChrisEDC247

Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 02:18:00 AM

It's a real shame that Camillus stuff is so bad, because as a survival expert I rank Les Stroud much much higher than Bear Gryls and yet somehow his stuff from Gerber seems higher quality. And the Gerber BG stuff isn't very good as it is.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:19:39 AM by ChrisEDC247 »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 04:59:07 AM

It's a real shame that Camillus stuff is so bad, because as a survival expert I rank Les Stroud much much higher than Bear Gryls and yet somehow his stuff from Gerber seems higher quality. And the Gerber BG stuff isn't very good as it is.
Bear Grylls is a survivalist? I thought he was a stuntman  :think:

us Offline tango44

• VICTORINOX
Reply #57 on: December 18, 2017, 02:06:32 PM

No love lost, I get the joke and I'm not hating on any tool or maker. I think the Gerber forum is always a bit more nuanced in it's understanding of tools but it just goes to illustrate how people can misrepresent the capabilities of these MTs. 

I love Leatherman tools and currently own and carry several models... but this demonstration is very misleading and it's the other side of the same coin.

First he demonstrates the ability of the fine wire cutter portion to cut paper. Fair enough that's a good thing: precision and all.  But then comes the misdirection, he says I'm going to cut a nail in half. So he takes out a nail big enough and brittle enough to shatter with the right force. He puts it into the hard wire cutter portion of the pliers, not exactly the same part of the tool he was just demonstrating. Then he breaks out a special JIG which supports one side of the plier head and holds the handles so they can't lever around too much. He gives himself an out in case it does shatter by saying maybe "I'll get lucky" which btw I'm sure he has a line if it does break. Once he cuts the nail he goes back to showing the soft wire cutters can cut paper still suggesting that the plier heads have not become misaligned. The pliers however wouldn't become misaligned because the tool is designed to cam tighter when force is applied AND the majority of the force was put to only one handle using the special jig eliminating a lot of those rotational stresses. The showmanship is appreciated but this is a magic trick. I feel me and Tim in a room could have a nuanced discussion about this demonstration but when some dummy tries this at home and breaks the darn thing he's going to blame Leatherman and not his own stupidity.

Sadly Gerber seems to be allowing other people to misuse their tools on YouTube. Maybe they should do an instructional video on uses for the carbide cutters so people have reasonable expectations. A lot of power tool companies do this and it's probably a good idea to keep yabbos from thinking a tack hammer is a 10lb sledge.

So true! people pretend that a multitool is the only tool you will ever need..only MacGyver....
Enjoy!

se Offline WiseDuck

• Quack!
Reply #58 on: December 24, 2017, 11:47:44 AM
I subbed to Wranglerstar and then unsubbed a while back. Now Im subbed again, but videos like these just make me question why I subscribed again... He's clearly being intentionally ignorant to sell a product he promotes in the comments below with affiliate links. That's all it is, he wants to make money. Clickbait titles, affiliate links, stupid "tests" that don't mean much at all. That and just straight up tool abuse. (Like his most recent head-to-head video, he didn't even USE the tools or compare them in any way before he connected them and burned out the motors. If that's all you're going to do, then what is the damn point? Almost any tool will burn if you keep overriding the thermal shutdown by repeatedly pulling the trigger when the tool has stalled)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #59 on: January 01, 2018, 03:12:26 PM
I have never had to hump a ruck in thigh high mud, crawl around in sand for most of the day, or get so wet that you don't remember what being dry was like. I can't even begin to say how reliable multi-tools are for the military. What I can say however, is that there are many different models aimed towards those in the service...or for those who hunt or enjoy outdoor activities.

Here is a link to a 2015 article where I took the time to gather all of my gear and give my opinion on each. Yes, this is slightly outdated...but that original thread took an awful long time to make. I will re-post it here as you might find it somewhat interesting and possibly relevant to the discussion.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57044.0.html
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24