Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How reliable are multitools for military conditions?

ddogu · 75 · 3355

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Re: How reliable are multitools for military conditions?
Reply #60 on: January 02, 2018, 12:45:08 AM
Too bad about the bad quality folks have attributed to this. I can't speak to the quality of this particular attempt at multi-tool, but I use Irwin Vice Grips and find them helpfu and a quality tool for automotive applications. This idea is good, I think, if lacking in its implementation. Twelve or 15 bucks vs $90 for an ON WAVE...even if some of the tool quality isn't great, it's still probably an easier purchase to justify for John Q. Public.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #61 on: January 02, 2018, 01:04:41 AM
Too bad about the bad quality folks have attributed to this. I can't speak to the quality of this particular attempt at multi-tool, but I use Irwin Vice Grips and find them helpfu and a quality tool for automotive applications. This idea is good, I think, if lacking in its implementation. Twelve or 15 bucks vs $90 for an ON WAVE...even if some of the tool quality isn't great, it's still probably an easier purchase to justify for John Q. Public.

Indeed, the price points are so far apart it's a silly comparison anyway. And, like you say, a much more tempting impulse purchase.
As far as the pliers go, even Irwin's newer made in China examples are perfectly functional. But this is one example where I'd rather have a couple dedicated tools than the MT in question. I could get a lot more utility out of a set of locking pliers and a folder, without the form of either interfering with the function of the other, as it appears the Irwin MT's implements may do.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: January 02, 2018, 04:58:05 AM

Indeed, the price points are so far apart it's a silly comparison anyway. And, like you say, a much more tempting impulse purchase.
As far as the pliers go, even Irwin's newer made in China examples are perfectly functional. But this is one example where I'd rather have a couple dedicated tools than the MT in question. I could get a lot more utility out of a set of locking pliers and a folder, without the form of either interfering with the function of the other, as it appears the Irwin MT's implements may do.

The price points may be far apart and the tool placement may be "iffy" where the knife is concerned, but isn't this essentially how Tim Leatherman came up with his design? By deciding what tools he needed most and fusing them together in one? Certainly Irwin is not embarking on any original journey here, but this could be handy for a car mechanic. And not everyone out there would even care that the blade doesn't compare to that of a Leatherman. The Wingman is popular because folks in maintenance are comfortable using the hell out of it to point of failure. It's inexpensive enough that people aren't bothered by ruining it and replacing it.

While I don't see many mechanics buying this Irwin, and I don't see any multi-tool aficionados flocking to it, I do see folks just entering the trades, or who want a Leatherman but can't afford it, buying one. And at the very least, they will have a quality Vice-Grips, maybe with a couple side benefits
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:59:48 AM by ThundahBeagle »

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: January 02, 2018, 05:08:02 AM
Back on the topic of military suitability, I only know that both Gerber and Leatherman have had contracts with military organizations. The MP 600 and the Super Tool, if I am not wrong.

To the point of loose tolerances, I think one need only look at the M-16 vs the AK-47 to see which malfunctioned just because of a little carbon scoring near the ejection port, and which has a very long throw safety lever.

Sometimes the looser tolerances allow for mud, dirt, and carbon buildup, and the easier cleaning of such things. The simpler designs will hold up to the harsher punishment, where materials and craftsmanship are the same.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #64 on: January 02, 2018, 12:22:30 PM
History is full of failed weapons that couldn't withstand the conditions of a battlefield. For Canada, the Ross Rifle is an excellent example.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ross-rifle/
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:24:06 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #65 on: January 02, 2018, 12:55:33 PM
History is full of failed weapons that couldn't withstand the conditions of a battlefield. For Canada, the Ross Rifle is an excellent example.

"Poorly made British ammunition"  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 02, 2018, 03:22:08 PM

Lol. That sounds like a brilliant back up plan by the British.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: January 02, 2018, 05:19:06 PM

Or the fact that it might slightly fire it's bolt out backwards. :D I've heard it said that it was a precision hunting rifle design that had no place in the mud of the trenches.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #68 on: January 02, 2018, 09:32:10 PM

... that worked fine in the more forgiving Lee-Enfields, but was unsuited to the Ross.
  ::)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: January 03, 2018, 12:45:09 AM

... that worked fine in the more forgiving Lee-Enfields, but was unsuited to the Ross.
  ::)
Are you saying that the Lee-Enfields were made to looser tolerances? Because that's not really praise.:whistle:
I mean, imagine a SAK that rattled when you shock it! :dwts:

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #70 on: January 03, 2018, 12:51:16 AM
I'm saying perhaps the ammunition (or Lee Enfields) wasn't the problem...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: January 03, 2018, 01:16:14 AM
The article says that the "Ross Rifle" had too tight tolerances for said ammunition and conditions.

All hail the hook!

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #72 on: January 21, 2018, 05:23:53 PM
The Armoured Corps Brigades in Israel have long experience with Leatherman, especially the Wave. Here 300 are being delivered to a unit: 

All of which is a testimony to the reliability of this multi tool, at least, under hard-use military conditions. Care packages for IDF soldiers often specify Leatherman for combat and mechanic duties. Possibly only pizza delivery, is more important--with gatkes and garbayim (thermal underwear and socks). 

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: January 21, 2018, 05:52:36 PM
The Armoured Corps Brigades in Israel have long experience with Leatherman, especially the Wave. Here 300 are being delivered to a unit: 
(Image removed from quote.)
All of which is a testimony to the reliability of this multi tool, at least, under hard-use military conditions. Care packages for IDF soldiers often specify Leatherman for combat and mechanic duties. Possibly only pizza delivery, is more important--with gatkes and garbayim (thermal underwear and socks).

I would not have been seen dead in 'gatkes' until my army service. I realised quickly that not freezing my tuches off on night duty was more important than being cool. :D Didn't have a Wave back then (17 years ago) or any knife for that matter. I was super proud of my Mini Maglite with tungsten bulb though. It had about 5 lumen. :D
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: January 21, 2018, 07:55:41 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

I would not have been seen dead in 'gatkes' until my army service. I realised quickly that not freezing my tuches off on night duty was more important than being cool. :D Didn't have a Wave back then (17 years ago) or any knife for that matter. I was super proud of my Mini Maglite with tungsten bulb though. It had about 5 lumen. :D
My AAA twisty can output 0.02 lumens.  :facepalm:

(Nevermind that it also has 12 and 150 lumen modes.  :whistle: :D )

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24