Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Squirt P4 blade is kinda messed up! Need fix suggestions! Please and thank you!

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Hi all,

I received this P4 today and I have to say the blade is pretty used.  It looks like the sharpening has been done to just the flat area on the blade to the point where it is no longer looks like much of a chisel grind.

So based on this I am looking for suggestions on how you guys would fix this!  Would you just sharpen the one side and get the chisel grind back or try to reprofile it to a v-grind???

The sharpening gear I have available to use it a Sharpmaker with med, fine and x-fine rods, no diamond ones.  The Lansky guided 3 stone system with course, medium and fine stones and I have a older Norton course/fine bench stone from Home Depot.

I am thinking the Sharpmaker would take forever since I don't have the course stone.  I think the P4 is too small for the Lansky so I am thinking my only thing I can use is the bench stone and hold the angle and attack the chisel side to see if I can redo it.  The only other option I see is to send it to someone that maybe better and sharpening to get it taken care of!

Please check out the pics I posted trying to show the blades condition and let me know what you think!

Thx in advance for any and all comments!
P4_Blade.jpg
* P4_Blade.jpg (Filesize: 73.14 KB)
P4_Blade1.jpg
* P4_Blade1.jpg (Filesize: 76.91 KB)
P4_Blade2.jpg
* P4_Blade2.jpg (Filesize: 77.05 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Hi all,

I received this P4 today and I have to say the blade is pretty used.  It looks like the sharpening has been done to just the flat area on the blade to the point where it is no longer looks like much of a chisel grind.

So based on this I am looking for suggestions on how you guys would fix this!  Would you just sharpen the one side and get the chisel grind back or try to reprofile it to a v-grind???

The sharpening gear I have available to use it a Sharpmaker with med, fine and x-fine rods, no diamond ones.  The Lansky guided 3 stone system with course, medium and fine stones and I have a older Norton course/fine bench stone from Home Depot.

I am thinking the Sharpmaker would take forever since I don't have the course stone.  I think the P4 is too small for the Lansky so I am thinking my only thing I can use is the bench stone and hold the angle and attack the chisel side to see if I can redo it.  The only other option I see is to send it to someone that maybe better and sharpening to get it taken care of!

Please check out the pics I posted trying to show the blades condition and let me know what you think!

Thx in advance for any and all comments!

wow that's painful to watch!
I had a similar blade on a second hand Squirt I got for 8 bucks, sharpened to a V grind with my Worksharp field sharpener. Now it's still ugly and scratched, but sharp and even!   :salute:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.

wow that's painful to watch!
I had a similar blade on a second hand Squirt I got for 8 bucks, sharpened to a V grind with my Worksharp field sharpener. Now it's still ugly and scratched, but sharp and even!   :salute:

Yeah I don't really care if it is all scratched up and even ugly as you put it since I only got it to have a couple of tools like the little plier's and awl to compliment my sak of either the Picnicker or the Compact!  Other than the blade issue, the P4 is actually in pretty decent shape so I am happy with my $12 spent.

I am just looking for ideas on getting it in the best sharpened shape I can in either v grind or chisel.  Since it only has the chisel grind at the tip and very inside edge, I am thinking v grind also but just don't know if I have the tools to accomplish it.

Thx for the comment.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Nice catch for $12.  What I'd do is take the Lansky guided stones and use them by hand, that is if you feel confident enough.  Use them in order on the flat side and opposing side.  Red stone on flat side first then other side, making sure you feel the burr.  Green stone same as red, making sure you feel the burr then finish up with final stone.  If you want use a strop for the final final step.  That should work rather well.  Go slow and like any stone sharpening do your best to keep a consistent angle.  Use a sharpie to mark where you need to hit with the stones. 

Great thing about LM steel is its pretty easy to work on. 

Now if you aren't confident in the method above why not try your Spyderco first and see how that goes.  The steel isnt so hard that you'll be there all day.  This way you can keep a consistent angle more or less. 

Good luck.   
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Fuzzbucket

• Absolutely No Life Club
I've manage to re-profile and sharpen a Squirt before using a Lansky - It was quite a while ago mind, but it worked fine - there should be a little indent on the tip of Lansky to take super-small blades. I can't remember what angle i used though, but i imagine it would have just been 25 degrees.
If i was you, i'd just reshape and sharpen both sides of the blade as chisel grinds are pretty naff anyway (except on actual chisels and planes) and you'd loose too much stock trying to get it back to the way it was.

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Nice catch for $12.  What I'd do is take the Lansky guided stones and use them by hand, that is if you feel confident enough.  Use them in order on the flat side and opposing side.  Red stone on flat side first then other side, making sure you feel the burr.  Green stone same as red, making sure you feel the burr then finish up with final stone.  If you want use a strop for the final final step.  That should work rather well.  Go slow and like any stone sharpening do your best to keep a consistent angle.  Use a sharpie to mark where you need to hit with the stones. 

Great thing about LM steel is its pretty easy to work on. 

Now if you aren't confident in the method above why not try your Spyderco first and see how that goes.  The steel isnt so hard that you'll be there all day.  This way you can keep a consistent angle more or less. 

Good luck.   

Yeah I didn't think the price was too bad but didn't notice the blade's edge.  I don't think the edge is terrible or anything, just needs a repair/sharpen job!  :)

Do you do this on your P4 if you have to repair the edge?  I imagine you just use the Sharpmaker to keep it going if you don't have any damage like chips or whatever!  I think it would be easier to hold the angle with the bench stone than the Lansky stones since I would have to hold them both or put the stone in a vise if that would work!  I don't sharpen alot cause my tools don't see alot of use so it is mainly just maintaining them!

Thx for the comment and I will keep it in mind!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 02:17:48 AM by sir_mike »

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
I've manage to re-profile and sharpen a Squirt before using a Lansky - It was quite a while ago mind, but it worked fine - there should be a little indent on the tip of Lansky to take super-small blades. I can't remember what angle i used though, but i imagine it would have just been 25 degrees.
If i was you, i'd just reshape and sharpen both sides of the blade as chisel grinds are pretty naff anyway (except on actual chisels and planes) and you'd loose too much stock trying to get it back to the way it was.

I do like the idea of a v grind since most of chisel is gone anyway but just not sure how much material it will take to make that happen.  I will keep this in mind too!

Thx for the comment!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Another vote her to turn it to a V grind :cheers: I wish they didn't use the chisel grind at all and reprofiled an S4 that I have many moons ago :tu: Just take your time and don't worry about messing it up ;) If you go slow it will be hard to mess it up :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
You can hold the Lansky stone in a vise sure.  That would enable you to do your best to hold the blade edge at a good angle to create a burr on the other side.  Then work the other side ( burr side ) and then switch stones. 

If you decide to use the Sypderco I do believe you'll be surprised.  I have spent time using mine with the same stones you have with pretty good results on SAKs with edge issues.  You can always use the diamond file on a Wave.  Go slow and remember to not get too aggressive.  Don't worry about making a mistake as all your concerned with is getting a nice sharp edge. 

You'll do fine.  You have a few options.  Slow and easy. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
@Poncho65 - I agree that the v grind makes more sense and since the chisel grind is almost gone, it shouldn't be that hard to do.

@Aloha007 - I didn't even think about the Wave file but was thinking about the one on the Surge since I thought it was my only diamond file.

I am probably over thinking this and not sure why cause I am sure the steel is not that hard so I am sure that there are a few options that would work fairly easy!

Thx guys!

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
All good advice. The only thing I would add is maybe tape up the handle area closest to the blade. Minimize any accidents with the sharpener.

I’m sure you know this but the blade is thin so just take your time. Good luck!! I love the P4. Literally like having a toolbox the size of your finger. Always amazes me what the pliers can do. Seems to be able to handle the big jobs but small enough to be used as tweezers or better yet a zip tie cutter.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Hi Mike,
You could try using the Lansky resting on a block on top of your bench with the squirt clamped to the edge of the bench
A bit like this  :)
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69