Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nix's 30-day Rebar diet

Nix · 355 · 11538

us Offline Glockfan

Re: Nix's 30-day Rebar diet
Reply #270 on: December 17, 2017, 02:41:52 PM
Great pics!

:like:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #271 on: December 17, 2017, 05:25:09 PM
Thanks, guys!

I was hoping to get out again today....but looks like other plans may take precedence.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #272 on: December 17, 2017, 05:43:52 PM
Day 23:

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #273 on: December 17, 2017, 05:49:39 PM
I’ve been wanting to try the trick of coloring the words in on my Rebar. Have you thought of that at all?

Not sure how durable it is though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #274 on: December 17, 2017, 05:52:14 PM
I hadn't thought of that....but it could be fun.

I think if you prepped & primed the lettering and then used a decent paint, it might hold up for a while.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #275 on: December 17, 2017, 05:53:15 PM
I think many either use nail polish then remove from surrounding area or same with paint?

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #276 on: December 17, 2017, 07:23:41 PM
Ja. I'd tape off as much of the handle as is practical, prime the lettering, paint/nail polish, and the remove the excess from the surface. The paint would then be trapped in the lettering.

...I think..... :-\

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #277 on: December 17, 2017, 07:40:00 PM
Try a Sharpie first :D I color the area in like a 2 year old :D then after about 15-20 seconds I rub the part with the ink on the handle off with my finger and the lettering is left colored :cheers: sometimes it does better than others and other tools like my Surge have worked better :tu:

Just a thought anyways :tu: I think LoopCutter did a Wave this way and it has held up fairly well :salute:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #278 on: December 17, 2017, 07:48:07 PM
yeah I wish I had good old nature so close to home   ::)

those outdoor pics call me to get out and run into the woods!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #279 on: December 17, 2017, 08:11:33 PM
I have used a Sharpie on my Stainless Rebar, Wave, & ST300.   Wipes off easily within about 30 secs between the imprints with a old sock or other cotton rag. 

On first Coyote Rebar the same procedure but used a very mild solvent to wipe away the excess. The replacement did not do the same as imprint is shallow.   

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #280 on: December 18, 2017, 02:35:13 AM
Nix I love those pics!  With a Rebar you are pretty much ready for anything!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #281 on: December 18, 2017, 03:35:08 AM
Nix I love those pics!  With a Rebar you are pretty much ready for anything!

Sure feels that way!  :tu:

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #282 on: December 18, 2017, 03:18:46 PM
I think many either use nail polish then remove from surrounding area or same with paint?

I wouldn't want to hijack the thread, but I have a pretty fresh experience: I just tried painting the lettering with a nice sunny Leatherman yellow nail polish, but failed pretty badly. The problem is - at least in my case - that the lines of the letters are pretty narrow and their depth are quite uneven so it looked more like some nasty yellowish grease than paint. Anyway, maybe soneone else will succeed. Also, I guess darker colors, especially black would work (better) for their better cover.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #283 on: December 18, 2017, 05:27:24 PM
[quote author=Exeter link=topic=74761.msg1602624#msg1602624 date=1513606726

I wouldn't want to hijack the thread, but I have a pretty fresh experience: I just tried painting the lettering with a nice sunny Leatherman yellow nail polish, but failed pretty badly. The problem is - at least in my case - that the lines of the letters are pretty narrow and their depth are quite uneven so it looked more like some nasty yellowish grease than paint. Anyway, maybe someone else will succeed. Also, I guess darker colors, especially black would work (better) for their better cover.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing the experience!   :salute:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #284 on: December 18, 2017, 05:48:10 PM
Day 24:

I was doing a little cooking this morning and used the Rebar to tighten up the handle on a pot lid.

I really want you guys to try these pickled onions!    Well, not these exact pickled onions, but your own. (Mrs Nix loves these things and isn't likely to share. Sorry.  :doh:) They are a great garnish on sandwiches, burgers, omelettes, salads, tacos, pizza, soups....everything really.

The good new is that they are super easy to make and only take a few minutes to put together. I don't use an actual recipe, but here's a close approximation:

1. In a small saucepan, combine:

-- 1/4 cup honey
-- 1/2 cup water
-- 1 1/2 cup Cider vinegar
-- tablespoon of salt
-- teaspoon of mustard seeds
-- teaspoon of peppercorns
-- 3 dried red chiles

2. Bring all that up to a boil and then turn of the heat. While that is cooling a bit...

3. Slice up a red onion or three (I slice 'em lengthwise for better uniformity) and put them in a very, very clean jar (boiled jar would be best).

4. Pour the cider mixture over the onions. If the onions aren't completely covered, I top up with a bit more cider vinegar.  Then let rest for a few hours. Store in the refrigerator.

I've found that these will keep well for a couple of weeks, but they don't usually last that long. If I don't have one ingredient, I'll substitute another. You can use any vinegar for these but Cider vinegar tastes the best to Mrs Nix. Red wine vinegar gives the most attractive coloring. Instead of honey, you can use sugar, brown sugar, or treacle, or no sweetener at all. All the spices are optional. Other great spices to try are star anise, cinnamon, clove, or cardamom. Make 'em your own!

In the picture above, the onions look a bit murky. The liquid will turn a nice pink color and some of that murkiness will settle out to the bottom of the jar.

Seriously, take 10 minutes and make a batch of these. You'll love 'em.  :tu:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:49:20 PM by Nix »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #285 on: December 18, 2017, 05:51:24 PM
Oh, hey, if anybody already makes pickled onions, please post up what ingredients you like in yours! I'd love to learn how YOU make 'em.  :tu:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #286 on: December 18, 2017, 08:44:04 PM
 :drool: :drool: :drool: :like: :like:
Barry

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #287 on: December 19, 2017, 03:00:13 AM
Cool pics and thanks for the recipe :salute: :like: We don't make those but we have made refrigerator pickles with garden cukes plenty of time :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #288 on: December 19, 2017, 01:42:19 PM
I love pickled things!!  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #289 on: December 19, 2017, 02:33:21 PM
Day 25:

I have to say that the Rebar has really grown on me over the course of this challenge. As soon as I got it, I knew I was going to like this tool, but with time and use, I've come to appreciate it even more. I really like it's simplicity. It surprises me that I'm just carrying it around in my pocket like a large sized pocket knife. Everyday I think I should put it back in it's sheath and on my belt, but then it just slips into one of my pockets and I forget about it.

The tool set seems excellent for general EDC use. I still think about modding it with some scissors, but that's only because I'm carrying it solo and not paired up with a SAK with scissors. And I kinda miss my SAK nail files--I have actually used the Rebar's wood file to smooth out a torn nail.

The Rebar now has a nice familiar feel and has become a trusted companion. Great tool.

Update shot of the pickled onions this morning. Note how they've become more pink and attractive overnight:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #290 on: December 19, 2017, 05:12:46 PM
Looks yummy!  :like:

What are your pros and cons about putting a lanyard on your Rebar, Nix?  :think:

I'm currently tempted at buying a SwissTool Spirit XC being sold for a steal right now...but since I have a Rebar on the way, everytime I see your Challenge, I ward off the urge to get the Spirit  :D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:14:09 PM by an0nemus »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #291 on: December 19, 2017, 05:29:30 PM

What are your pros and cons about putting a lanyard on your Rebar, Nix?  :think:

I'm currently tempted at buying a SwissTool Spirit XC being sold for a steal right now...but since I have a Rebar on the way, everytime I see your Challenge, I ward off the urge to get the Spirit  :D
Don't get a Spirit! It'll make you leave your Rebar at home every day :whistle:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #292 on: December 19, 2017, 05:32:18 PM

Unfortunately at this time I can afford to keep one so I'm leaning towards the Rebar

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #293 on: December 19, 2017, 05:45:01 PM
an0nemus, tough question when it comes to the lanyard issue.

I put a big lanyard on my Rebar so I could use it outdoors, with gloves on. And that works just fine for pocket carry. Around the house or out in town, I don't feel the same need for a lanyard. The big lanyard dangles out of the belt sheath, so I take it off for sheath carry.

I found that I was switching the lanyard on and off, depending on my activities, so I put a small clip on my lanyard to make it slightly easier to remove.

I haven't found that lanyard or clip gets in the way of the tools. Which is a good thing. I leave the lanyard knot sticking out of my pocket, which makes it very easy to grab and yank the Rebar out of the pocket (even with gloves on). But then one wonders if it might get accidentally yanked out if one were crawling through dense brush......

So, overall, I like the lanyard, but I'm glad I put a quick disconnect on it. How is that for a vague and non-committal answer?   :rofl:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #294 on: December 19, 2017, 05:48:37 PM
I love the Spirit, but if I had to have just one pliers-based multitool....I'd go with the Rebar right now. It just has a "bullet proof" feel, it's simple and easy to access the tools, and I love the idea that I can change out the wire cutter blades if needed.

One could argue that the ST300 (Or Surge, I suppose) is bigger and more robust, but I love, love, love the convenient size of the Rebar. 

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #295 on: December 19, 2017, 06:55:22 PM

Unfortunately at this time I can afford to keep one so I'm leaning towards the Rebar
Because you haven't touched a Spirit yet :pok:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #296 on: December 19, 2017, 08:04:47 PM
There is a lot to be said for the Spirit.

Great design...and, it has scissors. But it feels a bit more 'delicate', doesn't have replaceable cutters, and no real lanyard attachment point. The Spirit is like a fine M-16 carbine, the Rebar more of an AK-47? I don't know. It's darn hard to argue against the Spirit, but for the money, the Rebar is one heck of a nice tool. I probably don't have enough experience with either tool to offer an 'expert' opinion. 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #297 on: December 20, 2017, 01:15:09 AM
I love my Swisstool, but the Rebar just has that feel, kind of like a PST.  I'm leaning towards doing this challenge myself to give mine some pocket time.  Great job Nix!!
Barry

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #298 on: December 20, 2017, 01:19:52 AM
Do it, Barry!

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #299 on: December 20, 2017, 05:40:49 PM
an0nemus, tough question when it comes to the lanyard issue.

I put a big lanyard on my Rebar so I could use it outdoors, with gloves on. And that works just fine for pocket carry. Around the house or out in town, I don't feel the same need for a lanyard. The big lanyard dangles out of the belt sheath, so I take it off for sheath carry.

I found that I was switching the lanyard on and off, depending on my activities, so I put a small clip on my lanyard to make it slightly easier to remove.

(Image removed from quote.)

I haven't found that lanyard or clip gets in the way of the tools. Which is a good thing. I leave the lanyard knot sticking out of my pocket, which makes it very easy to grab and yank the Rebar out of the pocket (even with gloves on). But then one wonders if it might get accidentally yanked out if one were crawling through dense brush......

So, overall, I like the lanyard, but I'm glad I put a quick disconnect on it. How is that for a vague and non-committal answer?   :rofl:
As usual, wise and practical answer, Nix! I didn't think of putting a removable clip and it's a pretty smart solution

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%