Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I miss my old Victorinox Executive 53401

Offline Internet Tough Guy

I miss my old Victorinox Executive 53401
on: March 04, 2024, 01:36:16 AM
I'm looking for the best replacement for my Executive that I had since 1992 and recently lost. I have a bunch of other knives, but for me, this was the one that went in my pocket every day. Yes I know the orange peeler was a gimmicky tool but I don't care - it was everything else about the tool that I loved - most specifically, it was the perfect balance - small enough for my pocket, big enought for my hand. I used the long blade, the short blade, the scissors, the tweezers, and the nail file. Seldom the toothpick. And yes I used the orange peeler very rarely for an orange (but occasionally) but I found it useful as a little scraper for drywall and such.

But what I really loved was the the knife's size and weight. Does V make anything now that is the exact length, girth and nearly the same weight as the old Executive?  As an aside - I struggle with their website. I never measured my Executive but everything I can find on the interwebs say that it was 74mm. That doesn't seem right to me. And when I search Victorinox using their filter tool, they don't even have an option for anything longer than 62mm which also doesn't seem right to me.

I am not married to the exact same blade/tool set as the Executive, but I do definitely want a narrow but long blade (the "big" blade on the Executive) and the scissors. But most importantly, I want the same size! Narrow, perfect weight, adequate length for my big hands. The Classic is too small and feels like I'm using a barbie doll SAK - I hate it.  I don't need or want one that's thick enough for a cork screw and don't need can and bottle openers. I have plenty and they're great but not for sliding in low profile in my pocket every day on my way to work.

I swear that this site: https://www.victorinox.com/en-US/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/c/SAK_AllProducts/ shows a picture of old discontinued Executive - it's the knife furthest to the left. Dirty trick to show it there and not have it available to buy!

Help a brother out.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: I miss my old Victorinox Executive 53401
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 02:12:03 AM
I agree.  It was a great size, better than the Classic in my opinion.  You might try Wenger Esquire, which Vic still makes.  It's a 65mm with a simpler tool set(scissors, file and main blade as well as toothpick and tweezers). 

Edit: This is it in Vic clothing, which is called Executive.  A different animal than the real Vic Exec but almost the same size.

https://www.victorinox.com/en-US/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Small-Pocket-Knives/Executive-81/p/0.6423
Barry

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 02:30:55 AM
There's no other knife like it. I'd look at getting one used on ebay.

us Online IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 02:34:00 AM
    Yes, the 74mm line are history.  If you scout around, I'm sure you can find a used one on the buyem  and sellem sites.  If you want a slim, easy carry take a look at the Victorinox Bantams.  They are 84mm and a great, lightweight carry.  Easy to find, not expensive.  I like mine.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 ;)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2024, 03:14:16 AM
Yep Victorinox killed off the 74mm line.

Some good suggestions above:
Ebay / Buy/sell sites would be a good place to try and get a 2nd had one - But be quick they'll go up in price
There maybe some distributors around who still have old stock.
Also the Bantam or the Cadet are good options - But no scissors :-  :( 

Eg Here is one on ebay - Seems in good condition - There seem to be quite a few there
https://www.ebay.com/itm/296266966492?itmmeta=01HR3PT6WMTY5AZZ69CBJ6MZ8X&hash=item44fae325dc:g:FtwAAOSw7uRl4OA~&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4LjBkoys2%2ByF%2Ba900KFk1567mHamRVel0Zj%2BgHjRwL4Fz3O0HCyCxnwdn3Jdxp5X%2FdIoZ3YmDkVq2%2FJHiVc1LIi1pvAkF5hf8Mu5J0hN%2BG00JRtDU3NvtBPb598ibJVpQR1Q0gXo3gCHrUBHd267G4s96LEgzKiayFFEm02W%2BW%2BrvTm3Xl8byVMw1xMIDdfaaASRzP2%2BcuteoF94AzScKoYqaJRWvMqW39W8uuQ7TxyKmJ4g%2FUzBeuWEv5C7PPXP0ckEwE2bJGTqmXj%2BlEEj6RRZGjX7RMO10mhLgH7%2BSAh7%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR8Du6PbAYw
Varying quality - Check them out carefully
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 04:11:07 AM by Huntsman »

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 03:30:06 AM
As others have noted, the Executive is discontinued, along with the rest of the 74 mm line.  You could certainly look on ebay and elsewhere for a used or NOS one.

Something you might consider is the Fox Vulpis FX-VP130-F4.  It is the same length closed as the Executive.  Be warned, though, that the scissors are not as good as Vic scissors, and may or may not be adequate for your needs.

Offline Anne

• New User
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 07:40:31 AM
Discontinuation of the 74mm series is such a shame. It really hits the sweet spot,  like you said - still very small,  but feels like you can get a good grip on it. I agree the "Executive 81" https://www.knifecenter.com/item/VN06423X1/victorinox-swiss-army-executive-81-multi-tool-3-red-handles might be your best choice because it's 65 mm and still slim - but you get the serrated scissors. Another choice you might like is an alox Cadet and add a Classic SD to it for the file, scissors, and tweezers. I hate carrying 2 multitools, but maybe the Classic SD can live on your keychain?

ch Offline Sneider

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 09:43:27 AM
Victorinox has discontinued many models recently. I really regret that, even the models that I personally didn't like because the enormous variety of sizes and tool combinations are an essential feature of this brand.

If the 74mm Executive is your model, then get one or two on Ehbuy. Still has many and the prices are acceptable.
If you want to be happy, be.
(Leo Tolstoy)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 11:47:03 AM
Another suggestion going the other way (larger) than colleagues above .....

The Compact - This really is a great model - Only two layers - But with scissors, SD/opener, pen, tp/tw hook (w file) and corkscrew

It's very pocketable

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 06:00:30 PM
Another discontinued 74mm knife you could look around for: the Ambassador.  It doesn't have the orange peeler or the pen blade but is a lot like an Executive and might be a little cheaper.  https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Ambassador
One other thought: If you obtain a newer Executive (on ebay or whatever) it will likely contain the improved, cut grooves type nail file, which is also found on Cadet and Sportsman these days.  I believe the early 90's model you owned had the textured file, which is also found on the Ambassador.  Some file info https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Nail+File
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 06:10:12 PM by Bunk Tuppins »

Reply #10 on: March 04, 2024, 06:32:12 PM
Discontinuation of the 74mm series is such a shame. It really hits the sweet spot,  like you said - still very small,  but feels like you can get a good grip on it..
Yes it sure is!!!!

My only other daily go-to knife is my Gerber US1. Maybe I better load up on those before they discontinue them.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 06:34:11 PM
Bummer, ITG.  It's hard on someone losing something that you've had for so long.

I'm gonna echo everyone else and say to check out the eBay though the prices have definitely jumped since I got mine a couple years ago.

Good luck in sourcing a replacement.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 07:24:22 PM
My younger days, the tweezers made the most amazing roach clip. Pinch the base of the blunt with the tweezers then squeeze  the tweezers into the slot at either one of the knife so the tweezers were perpendicular to the knife with the blunt parallel to it. Then pass the knife around, and hit it - it was perfect lol. I guess any sak with tweezers would do the same but again the length, girth and weight were just perfect.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2024, 01:05:45 AM
My younger days, the tweezers made the most amazing roach clip. Pinch the base of the blunt with the tweezers then squeeze  the tweezers into the slot at either one of the knife so the tweezers were perpendicular to the knife with the blunt parallel to it. Then pass the knife around, and hit it - it was perfect lol. I guess any sak with tweezers would do the same but again the length, girth and weight were just perfect.
I like the idea of using the tweezers as a clamp which is held closed by inserting the butt end of the tweezer into a slot, but I am unable to find a slot on the knife which would accomplish this.  Could you explain or perhaps show a pic?

Offline Miloš Jović

• New User
Reply #14 on: March 05, 2024, 06:37:36 PM
Hi guys!

I understand how OP feels but for a different reason.

At 31y old I finally purchased my very own first SAK some months go.

When I was a kid I handled a couple of dinged/broken classics found around the house but never actually had a SAK and wanted one so bad, yet my parrents were never knife friendly.

So, I forgot about all that and last year I had this itch to get an edc knife/multitool and feel in love with SAKs again.

My first and perfect choice was and still is the Executive, but I couldn't find even a used one in my country, including the Ambassador. The 74mm size is just perfect for my actual and not percieved needs and the size/space in my pockets.

So after a long thought I went with Compact. And it's great... But... It's not in my pocket every day outside the house. Only when I go out in nature, alone, on short hikes, for which I could also pack an axe and not raise any eyebrows.

Despite being extra pocketable, it is still noticeable in Jeans, especially when I sit down, and a bit too thick/noticeable in the watch pocket as well and my country is not knife friendly so a SAK at 91mm size could raise eyebrows, and even get you into trouble with the Police if they decide to pull you over and do a search, while the 58mm one is simply  too small for me.

The 74mm is indeed the sweet spot for some of us. Such a shame.

What would be perfect is a 74mm version but instead of the orange peeler you get that combo opener/phillips tool from a Rambler, but scaled up to size of course. That would be a grail tool for me.

A 74mm Rambler. Hell yeah.

Cheers!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 07:32:02 PM
Yeppers,  I've also come to love the 74mm line.  I wonder why Victorinox never considered the 74 platform to build a "MidiChamp"  with a proper slotted screwdriver and a combo tool.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 08:40:26 PM
Yeppers,  I've also come to love the 74mm line.  I wonder why Victorinox never considered the 74 platform to build a "MidiChamp"  with a proper slotted screwdriver and a combo tool.

We like this  :like: :iagree:  :2tu:
They don't like it up 'em!

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: March 05, 2024, 08:45:08 PM
Hi guys!

I understand how OP feels but for a different reason.

At 31y old I finally purchased my very own first SAK some months go.

When I was a kid I handled a couple of dinged/broken classics found around the house but never actually had a SAK and wanted one so bad, yet my parrents were never knife friendly.

So, I forgot about all that and last year I had this itch to get an edc knife/multitool and feel in love with SAKs again.

My first and perfect choice was and still is the Executive, but I couldn't find even a used one in my country, including the Ambassador. The 74mm size is just perfect for my actual and not percieved needs and the size/space in my pockets.

So after a long thought I went with Compact. And it's great... But... It's not in my pocket every day outside the house. Only when I go out in nature, alone, on short hikes, for which I could also pack an axe and not raise any eyebrows.

Despite being extra pocketable, it is still noticeable in Jeans, especially when I sit down, and a bit too thick/noticeable in the watch pocket as well and my country is not knife friendly so a SAK at 91mm size could raise eyebrows, and even get you into trouble with the Police if they decide to pull you over and do a search, while the 58mm one is simply  too small for me.

The 74mm is indeed the sweet spot for some of us. Such a shame.

What would be perfect is a 74mm version but instead of the orange peeler you get that combo opener/phillips tool from a Rambler, but scaled up to size of course. That would be a grail tool for me.

A 74mm Rambler. Hell yeah.

Cheers!

Hi (and welcome)

What country are you in where a Spartan (other SAKs are available  ;)) is unacceptable  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Even the UK is ok with this (despite what eBay thinks  :rant:)
They don't like it up 'em!

Offline Miloš Jović

• New User
Reply #18 on: March 05, 2024, 10:02:05 PM
Hi (and welcome)

What country are you in where a Spartan (other SAKs are available  ;)) is unacceptable  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

Even the UK is ok with this (despite what eBay thinks  :rant:)

Hi there and thank you!

Yeah, I've read about the UK law and I think it's easier for you guys.

In all ex Yugoslavian (Balkan) countries,  the law allows the police to decide on the spot whether the tool on you is legal or whether the object gets confiscated and you need to show up in court, given the circumstances. (was it in your pocket, your rucksack, were you in a city, or travelling to a nearby campsite, etc)

If your tool doesn't look like it has its place in your immediate surroundings, or safely packed for transportation, you're most likely in for a biiiig trouble. If you look like a decent, law-abiding citizen, you could possibly get by with being friendly and having a positive attitude and a rock-solid reason.

This includes SAKs, especially if an officer liked it very much, if you know what I mean. :) And 91mm SAKs are sometimes considered scary and too large for a urban and even suburban environment here. It's 50/50 really.

Back in Yugoslavia, it was almost expected of you to have one on you or nearby.

Nowadays, there are no blade lenght restrictions etc, but the law explicitly mentions daggers, switchblades, and so on as weapons - like it should. Knives and pocket-knives are not mentioned but it is mentioned that it should be decided in each case separately whether a confiscated object was meant to be used as a weapon or not... Bannanas included.

Apologies for this  long off-topic rant to all, and especially to OP!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 10:24:33 PM by Miloš Jović »

Reply #19 on: March 17, 2024, 05:24:40 PM
I like the idea of using the tweezers as a clamp which is held closed by inserting the butt end of the tweezer into a slot, but I am unable to find a slot on the knife which would accomplish this.  Could you explain or perhaps show a pic?
IMG_3627.jpg
* IMG_3627.jpg (Filesize: 107.93 KB)

us Offline psyjohn

Reply #20 on: March 17, 2024, 05:56:26 PM
Quote from: Bunk Tuppins
using the tweezers as a clamp
[/quote

I use the keyring for this. Remove it from the knife and slide it onto the tweezers. Then you can slide it toward the head of the tweezers to open the "clamp" and toward the tip to close it.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #21 on: March 18, 2024, 04:39:42 AM
Thanks Internet Tough Guy and Psyjohn!  Will try those.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%