Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad by logging in.

Expensive batteries, or The Final Revenge of the Les Stroud Engage Multitool 299

Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,852 Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Expensive batteries, or The Final Revenge of the Les Stroud Engage Multitool
« on: November 25, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »
There was a little flashlight that came with the Les Stroud Engage multitool. Once the worthless whistle was removed from it, it was actually a neat, super-tiny little flashlight. I ran it for maybe a total of an hour run-time or so, and now the batteries are dead.

It runs on four LR621 cells. On Amazon right now, I can get a 20-pack for about $5.50. That means it would cost me $1.10 in batteries every time i wanted new ones in this thing. Which is every hour of run-time.

Orrrrr... I could buy a 55 cent Fauxton, that will run about 2 hours. Mmmmm? Tough one.

I would also like to take a minute to compare that to the flashlight in the Bear Grylls Survival tool pack, called a 'Gerber Tempo'. That one uses a AAA and runs... Well, I don't know. Mine still has the original battery it came with, and probably has 2 or 3 hours of run time on it. It's supposed to get 4 hours from a single AAA. Then, I'll have to pay a whopping... I dunno, $1 for an 8-pack at the dollar store for more batteries. Which, by the way, the batteries are available at the dollar store, or gas station, or anywhere.

I just got a 10-pack of LR621s from ebay for $2. That will give me two... AND A HALF... battery replacements. The flashlight is the smallest functioning flashlight I've ever seen, and just for that novelty feels like it's worth a couple dollars in batteries, but man... disappointing.

EDIT: The LR621 battery is also known by a bunch of other names, like AG1.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 03:41:48 PM by Lynn LeFey »

No Life Club Posts: 3,813 Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Expensive batteries, or The Final Revenge of the Les Stroud Engage Multitool
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 11:42:49 PM »

Orrrrr... I could buy a 55 cent Fauxton, that will run about 2 hours. Mmmmm? Tough one.

I think we are the resident MTo fauxton fans  :tu:

If you want longer runtime in a fauxton then you can swap in a red or amber LED and run it on a single CR2032 - but you can also expect a significant reduction in illumination. 

I have also put various multi-coloured LEDs in fauxtons fas a cheap "party" light for children of all ages (drunk adult seem particularly enamoured), while single coloured flashing LEDs work well as a flashing collar attachment to help you keep track of your free running dog at night.

babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 7,690
Re: Expensive batteries, or The Final Revenge of the Les Stroud Engage Multitool
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:55:55 AM »
Did the flashlight survive the explosion or did it hide to avoid getting sent to a war zone? :D

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 14,263
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 07:52:00 AM »
I only buy "expensive" batteries that can be recharged.  I say it should give it away and get yourself something rechargeable. 

Esse Quam Videri

Operational Funds

Keep the Unworkable working! Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $275.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $107.00
PayPal Fees: $6.80
Net Balance: $100.20
Below Goal: $174.80
Site Currency: USD
36% 
April Donations

Community Links