Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Picture scaling question

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Picture scaling question
on: November 26, 2017, 12:08:02 AM
I was wondering if we could have the standard picture size on the forum any bigger. As of now a 1039x779 picture is automatically scaled down to 854x640 even although when you click on the same pic that has been quoted it doesn't get scaled down and it fits the screen just fine. It also looks a lot better IMO.

Just wondering because it seems like there is room for bigger pics ?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Picture scaling question
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:30:21 PM
The issue isn't the size of the pic that can be attached, it has to do with the fact that we never clear the database, and after eleven and a half years it is HUGE.  If we allow larger photos to be attached it will be even huger and Micah will start to beat me mercilessly with the blunt end of a Surge.

Although he may have other comments to make- this is the limit of my understanding of such things.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:18:05 PM
I was wondering if we could have the standard picture size on the forum any bigger. As of now a 1039x779 picture is automatically scaled down to 854x640 even although when you click on the same pic that has been quoted it doesn't get scaled down and it fits the screen just fine. It also looks a lot better IMO.

Just wondering because it seems like there is room for bigger pics ?
You seem to be referring to the auto css resizing set for inline pics, this is set where it is as many members are not on HD or higher screens, so 854x640 is already pushing the boundaries of their screen resolution. This also affects mobile screens, most are lower than that, and this avoids having enormous horizontal and vertical scroll bars. I suppose it could be set to a percentage rather than a specific amount, but I believe this may not work as well with our current theme. Clicking a photo will show the full size, I find that to be a nice enough compromise for the moment.

The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:43:51 PM
Thanks for the explanation  :cheers: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31